Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Live on air 1980

Stuck on the Border

Default Eagles Live on air 1980

There's another CD showing up called "Eagles Live on air 1980".
    One site has a setlist and claims it was recorded for KWN-FM.
    https://www.spincds.com/live-on-air-1980-cd

The setlist matches the one setlist.fm has The Forum on Mar 4, 1980 except for the final encore, "Best of My Love".

Both CD sales site and setlist.fm list David Sanborn as special guest. I know that Phil Kenzie played on at least one date of the tour but I've no idea who played sax for the majority of dates.

What makes this different from most of the setlists from the tour is 1) no Desperado, 2) Carol as encore.

setlist.fm says Elton John was a guest for the encore.

http://framework.latimes.com/2014/01...-at-the-forum/

According to setlist.fm, there were four shows at The Forum from 1st to 4th March.

Does anyone know anything about this recording?

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Default Re: Eagles Live on air 1980

Looks like I will have to check this one out, as well as the also-forthcoming 'Houston '76' CD.

Any CD with "King of Hollywood" and "The Sad Cafe" played live must be a winner. The Eagles were really on fire right before they split. One can only imagine where all they would have gone had they worked things through and gotten it together.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border

In a moment of weakness, I bought this. The copy I received only has 12 tracks (and only eleven listed on the back - which has an HC-era photo). So obviously a dodgy product. I'm not sure of the quality. My first impression is it seems a bit slow but I'd have to compare it with other recordings to be sure.

Hotel California
    Already Gone
    In the City
    King of Hollywood
    The Sad Cafe
    Lyin' Eyes
    I Can't Tell You Why
    Those SHoes
    Heartache Tonight
    One of These Nights
    Turn to Stone
    The Long Run

It was recorded in LA on a Tuesday, so probably March 4th 1980 (Elton John joined them on Saturday March 1st).

I like the LOng Beach recording better because it has more energy and a longer, more unusual set. Although this is unusual in that it doesn't have Desperado or Take it Easy.

Border Desperado

Thanks for the review of the CD UtW. I'll look for it. Robert Hilburn's complete review from the show is available here:

http://documents.latimes.com/music-r...-eagles-forum/

I can relate to the young fan that Hilburn mentions. I had the same reaction when I saw them a few months later, but I knew the guitarist's name.

Banned

Joe Vitale's "stories from the road and in the studio: Backstage Pass" includes a photo of a 1980, Vitale set list;

01 Hotel California :: Perc
    02 Already Gone :: Drums
    03 In The City :: Piano
    04 King Of Hollywood :: Synth
    05 Lying Eyes :: Drums
    06 I Can't tell You Why :: Strings
    07 Desperado :: Strings
    08 Those Shoes :: Drums
    09 Heartache Tonight :: Drums
    10 One Of These Nights :: Drums
    11 Turn To Stone :: Drums & Flute
    12 The long Run ::Perc
    13 Life's Been Good :: Drums
    14 Life In The Fast Lane :: Drums
    15 Rocky Mountain Way :: Drums
    16 The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks :: Perc
    E
    17 Take It Easy :: Drums
    18 Best Of My Love :: Drums

Joe started touring with the Eagles in 1979 in Japan. He and Henley would use the same drum kit. Later they both had drum kits and, at Walsh's request, apparently did some double drumming.

I've only seen the Eagles since HFO and I've never seen Henley and Crago double drumming. When one's on drums the other plays percussion, unless Henley is front stage.

At the end of his lengthy stint, on the road with the Eagles, Vitale arrived back home, to a large crowd of on-lookers, in a limo.

With a lot of luggage to unload, the driver got out to assist Joe with the unloading.
    "In front of the entire neighborhood, Joey (Joe's young son) ran up to the limo driver, threw his arms around his knees and shouted joyfully, "Daddy!""

Stuck on the Border

Is Joe Vitale's book worth the hassle of getting?

Listening to Turn to Stone on this bootleg has be wondering if I've stepped int a Jethro Tull concert by accident. He's clearly a good musician.

I always wonder why Joe uses two drummers. His drummers are always in sync with each other.

I don't think I ever seen Don and Scott double drumming. They probably thought it wasn't necessary to do since Don was the Eagles primary drummer and Scott is only on drums when Don is up front or when Don is on percussion for some songs. To think about it, I don't think the guys didn't have an extra drummer/percussionist during the 70s. Don did most of the drumming, but when they got back together that's when they had an extra drummer so he could help Don. Same thing with piano player since Glenn or Joe were the ones playing the piano or organ.

I found that concert online. I haven't listen to it yet.

Stuck on the Border

Glenn used two drummers on his 1982 tour. I'd say that it gives some of the songs more energy and I love it.

Banned

Two drummers in unison forces them to play in a certain way or you end up sounding like Led Zeppelin at Live Aid. http://www.inquisitr.com/1581230/led...-phil-collins/

Phil Collins was very critical of Tony Thompson after that performance. Phil and Chester Thompson were awesome during the lengthy instrumental passages at Genesis shows.
    Two drummers doesn't really fit with a vocal harmony group like the Eagles.

At live gigs, I've always appreciated any band that has a percussionist within it's ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire
    Is Joe Vitale's book worth the hassle of getting?
    I can't remember any great hassle buying Joe's book. I can't remember how much I paid for it either but it's an autographed hardback, shipped from overseas so I expect it was quite pricey. It's full of anecdotes, info and photos from lots of records I have in my collection, up to 2008, when he released his Speaking In Drums album (CD/Mp3 Download)

I do revisit Backstage Pass from time to time which is more than I can say about Marc Shapiro's The Long Run which I spent a day reading and haven't opened it since. I haven't got felder's book.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Just placed an order for the CD on Ebay--Amazon dropped the listing for this one the day of its release.

High hopes that this one could be a real winner, perhaps even better than the 'Beacon Theater' album.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney