Thread: James Dean

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default James Dean

I was listening to the On The Border album yesterday and was really digging this song, and I remembered about a question I have been meaning to ask about it for ages.

Is that a car sound effect starting at about 3:05 into the song? I've heard it a lot of the time but wasn't sure whether it was an effect or whether it was created instrumentally. I think it's more likely to be the former but am not totally sure.

As for the song, I love it. It's great fun and I love Glenn's vocals and the energetic guitars. I also really like some of Randy's bass playing, particularly during the guitar break in the middle of the song. To me it is emblematic of what I personally think was a very exciting period in the band's history.

Thanks for any help with this. I've never seen a thread about this song before, if there's been one previously please merge this by all means.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: James Dean

This came on for me today when I was trying to do my Long Run homework and I was thinking of how exciting and full of energy it sounds. Strangely, when I hear the intro, I always expect to hear the announcement from California Jam. ( I went off to youtube to listen to that an unfortunately it's been taken down)

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Yep, I hear the car go vroom vroom.

The Cal Jam videos have been taken off YouTube? That's a drag.

I thought I read somewhere that it was a car sound effect. If I can find the source, I'll post it (I think it was a Bill Szymczyk interview).

And that video has been taken off Daily Motion, too.
    Last edited by Delilah; 09-24-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    This came on for me today when I was trying to do my Long Run homework and I was thinking of how exciting and full of energy it sounds. Strangely, when I hear the intro, I always expect to hear the announcement from California Jam. ( I went off to youtube to listen to that an unfortunately it's been taken down)
    I also expect to hear the California Jam announcement as well. I first discovered that song when I stumbled across that video on YouTube. It stinks that it was taken down, but luckily Soda has it available for download on GFO.

As for the sound, I always thought it was a car. It fits in with how James Dean met his untimely death.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

After noticing that James Dean's movies were mentioned in another thread, I had a look at the Wikipedia page for his Eagles song and noticed that the personnel list credits Bernie Leadon for both lead and rhythm guitars on this song, while Glenn is down as only singing the lead vocals - no mention of any guitar parts. There's no source for this, and it strikes me as odd, to say the least, given the prominence of the guitar work (I can hear two distinctly different guitars throughout most of the track).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dean_(song)

Stuck on the Border

Wikipedia be damned, of course Glenn and Bernie are playing the rhythm guitars. I fixed it. Of course someone other than Bernie is probably playing the intro lead guitar. My guess is Glenn.

Someone has removed my harmony guitar credit for Glenn from One Of These Nights, the song. Why can't Glenn be credited for the harmony guitars (as well as piano) when he played them - alone or with Felder? People just don't get it that if you're playing piano, it IS possible that you're playing something else too on a record. And people just don't get that Glenn was a guitar player too. Even Felder said that he and Glenn played the harmony guitar parts in those days, when I asked about OOTN and Too Many Hands.
    Last edited by chaim; 11-05-2016 at 02:29 PM.