Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: The Long Run

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: The Long Run

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I hate to say this and it certainly isn't directed at anyone in particular but is it just me that's starting to get a bit miffed with all the heavily tactical voting and little cliques that are emerging within Survivors? It's just a bit of fun and in reality counts for absolutely nothing, but some seem to treat it like you see political parties doing, rounding up everyone that agrees with them to vote for this because heaven forbid a song may have run its course. I have obviously voted tactically in this game, but that was in the early days when we all knew three would go out instantly, it was just a question of in which order, none of this 'To save...' whatever in this round carry on. I retract my earlier vote in this round for King of Hollywood and will leave you all to it, I might return if it turns back into the good old fashioned free for all fun they usually are.

Cheers
    tlr – While I empathize with you and appreciate your opinion, please remember that tactical voting is often part of the Survivor game. This game is based on the reality TV show and much of the premise of that show is strategizing and forming coalitions to win. But, once you cast a valid vote in a round, it can’t be changed, so, unfortunately, we can’t retract your vote. We hope you will stick around, but if you are uncomfortable with the game, then, of course, do what you feel is best for you.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by RudieCantFail View Post
    @TLR, if you want to vote for King of Hollywood, then that's completely fine. If KoH goes, then it goes. After it's gone, then I'll start voting based on what I feel about the rest of the songs. Do I really want to see The Long Run go this soon? No. And the same goes for In the City. In fact, I would have rather voted for The Sad Cafe because that song doesn't do much for me personally compared to what's left. I feel strongly enough about KoH to strategically vote, and I know that's the part that's turning you away from this game.

But hey, if you don't want to play Survivor this time around, then that's okay too. This is probably a moot point, but I just wanted to be clear that whatever you do is alright. I'm sure you already know that regardless of whatever I have to say. I apologize for making you feel unwelcome in this series of Survivor.
    I totally agree with the bits in bold, RCF.
    We all know that when all's said and done the Survivors are just games, even though we will do all we can to help our favourite song(s) finish in the final two or three. Which is why there has always been tactical voting and calls for coalitions. I've been guilty of the first and, possibly on the odd occasion, guilty of joining the second. Though as most of the time coalitions are calls to vote off my favourite songs that doesn't happen very often.
    In fact, I am flabbergasted to find that so many people want to save KOH - my favourite song on this album. Hence the number-crunching as to which of TLR and ITC people should vote for in an effort to save KOH for one more round. It would be nice for it to finish in the top 5 for once, rather than the bottom five as on two previous occasions.

While I'm sorry to see thelastresort go, I'm astonished he never noticed strategic voting before. We've been doing it since literally the first game!

If we wanted to just rank the songs from most popular to least popular, we could do a poll. The strategy and often head-to-head competitions between songs are what make this a game.

No one needs to apologize for why they vote the way they do.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I'm not going to say how others should play the game. However, I personally have been a bit disappointed by the number of tactical posts and the emerging style of tactical voting in this game over the past day. If you get the occasional person saying they're going to vote tactically, that's one thing. If you get a group, and seemingly a fair-sized group compared to the number of voters, all collaborating to promote one song at the expense of other songs then that's different. Speaking personally, I don't mind if my favourite song goes down if it's just people voting. But, if it's coordinated tactical voting, then that would leave a bad taste in my mouth and, for me, ruin the fun a bit. I would feel that the eliminated song had been 'ganged up against', rather than having been eliminated honestly.

Even without tactical voting, the game is very different from just a popularity poll, as the votes change throughout the game as songs are eliminated, and there is suspense as to which song will go next. That, to me, is easily enough to make it an enjoyable game rather than just a popularity poll.

This game has always (well, for a VERY long time) had coalitions in effort to save one song over another. It's nothing new. For the ones who've been around for awhile, anyway. Maybe some games have more of it than others but I've seen it a lot and if you do some digging you'll see it's nothing new. Maybe the people here haven't seen it or maybe haven't played the last few (and before that) games. I have no problem with "tactical voting" or strong opinions for or against a song. As Soda and Dreamer have stated, it's part of the fun. It's been like this for ages!

OF COURSE it doesn't count for anything. We all already know that, or at least I thought so. It's part of the fun. I learned early on of me playing these games that to play this game you have to roll with the punches and be ok with your favorite getting nixed and while I understand some not being able to handle it or feel it's too heavy handed, I believe that no one should feel bad for starting coalitions or feel the need to apologize. I think it's taking it too far. Basically, Survivor is not a poll and at the end we pick a winner based on the poll. It's not a popularity contest. It's a FIGHT to get to the end, and that's what the real Survivor is. It would be pretty boring for it to just be a poll I believe and I think most will agree.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Its not like when a song is voted off the island, that we can never hear it again. Put the cd on, its still there. All in good fun.

Stuck on the Border

For me, the strategy adds interest. It gets us thinking not just about which songs we like but how much we are willing to sacrifice to save it. It's also about compromise and it leads to more discussion.

Stuck on the Border

Based on the number-crunching, in order to save King of Hollywood, I vote for The Long Run.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

This is just a game and all in fun. Strategic voting has always been around, so I don't think it hurts to fight for any particular song when you need to.

I love KoH, but I also love TLR. I don't think KoH is better than it, so I can't vote for TLR yet, but I also think KoH is a better song than some of the others. I love the guitars in it, cool and foreboding.

Therefore, this time, I vote for The Sad Cafe.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry if anyone has been upset by the voting strategies used in this round. I think AT has a fair point about coordination, and if it has come across as 'scheming' then I apologise for that as I was one of the people who agreed to participate. I also hope thelastresort is okay, if he wants to leave the game at this stage then I think that should be completely his decision, just hope he isn't too upset. As others have said, the game is meant to be fun, and although I have been enjoying it so far I do know others get a bit stressed by it (my younger self from a few years ago would probably have got upset at my favourite songs being eliminated so I can relate to this feeling).

I can only speak for myself but strategy is a big part of this game from my personal point of view - once you take out the three songs that were first to leave the island, I think the remaining seven songs are close to being equally as good. I also recognise that my own favourite track on the album is unlikely to win so I'd happy simply to see it go as far as possible. By contrast, with say the Eagles LP survivor there were several songs where I didn't mind much which order they went out in and my favourite was a standout candidate to win the game, so there I found it easier to just vote my least favourite of the remaining tracks off in each round. I guess I find that with TLR, there is less of a difference in quality between each track, so it's a bit more tactical for me.

Anyway, I again vote for In The City. I really don't mind at all if it survives to the next round, as I do think it's an excellent song, but I am digging the other tracks a bit more right now.