Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: The Long Run

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: The Long Run

Beyond the eliminated TJ, we're strictly talking good songs. That said, I used to view "Those Shoes" as an utterly indispensable track that must make it onto every proper Eagles hits compilation. Indeed, I was miffed when "Greatest Hits, Volume 2" omitted it and "In the City," while including "The Sad Cafe" and "After the Thrill is Gone."(the latter might have been better as a selection for the '71-75' album)

Nowadays, I tend to view it as a somewhat tired excoriation of the celebrity-mad party scene that has devoured a girl or two I really liked. If it manages to lose out while the true paragon of sinisterness, "King of Hollywood," stays on for another round(as looks fairly likely right now), I would cheer.

Nothing against TS, though. Again, we're now debating 7 amazing tracks.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Border Troubadour

I have to say I really like 'Those Shoes' but once again I'm voting for 'I Can't Tell You Why'
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Hmmm.... really not sure how to vote this time around. I agree with WS82 about the album - I think all of the remaining songs are very strong, which makes it more difficult than the earlier rounds. I'll try and see if putting some thoughts down helps to me to decide.

As I've already stated I really love The Sad Café and would love to see it make a safe passage into the next round, although it doesn't seem in particular danger this round so far. However, Those Shoes is another of my favourites. I love the whole thing musically - the brilliant harmonised talk box guitars, Joe's awesome solo mid-song, the rhythm section. I also find it interesting from a lyrical perspective because it looks at the situation from both sides. Overall I think it's just an all-round awesome and unique track. If it's a straight fight between Those Shoes and King Of Hollywood, I think it's a toughie, because I've been enjoying KOH a lot lately. As others have said, the guitars are fantastic throughout the song.

I won't vote just yet, but I do think I'm a bit closer to knowing which song I will go for, which is useful.

Voting Those Shoes once again. Not crazy about the guitars.

It's not going to get any easier from here on out so time to start thinking about strategy. I'm going to vote for " gasp " The Long Run. I know it's one of the favorite songs from this album but it isn't a favorite of mine.
    I possess the silver bullets to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I believe.

I can't believe how many votes "Those Shoes" is getting. That song is HOT. It is one of their sexiest numbers. C'mon people! Don't let it go yet!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I'm voting for These Shoes. It's not that I don't like the song, but I want King of Hollywood to make it to at least the last five choices. That means that I hope Those Shoes goes this round and The Sad Cafe goes the next. KOH would hopefully ultimately compete w/ TLR, HT, ITC, & ICTYW. I don't expect KOH to survive against those four, but I will vote to save it when it comes to that time. King of Hollywood is my favorite song on the album b/c it sounds different from their work and I love the eerie quality to it. I don't think the song is overly long, even though the drums and bass don't really variate much in the song, as far as I can tell. The guitars really make the song. However, the lyrics remind me of the Jack Woltz character from The Godfather book, so I get it that the lyrics that refer to a despicable & sleazy Hollywood producer aren't appealing to those who pay attention to the lyrics more.

ETA: *Those Shoes, my bad.
    Last edited by RudieCantFail; 10-02-2016 at 03:10 PM.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'll vote for King of Hollywood to try and save Those Shoes. Those Shoes is my 3rd favorite song on TLR album, so I would like it to stay.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I can't believe how many votes "Those Shoes" is getting. That song is HOT. It is one of their sexiest numbers. C'mon people! Don't let it go yet!
    You tell 'em Soda! I definitely put it above KOH and The Sad Cafe.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I totally agree, Soda!!! It's sizzling - I can't believe people are voting for it before some others that really deserve to go first imo
    Save
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...