Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of Cass County

Banned

Default Re: Celebration of Cass County

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I will say, if the four extra songs are the deluxe edition inclusions, then I only really rate The Brand New Tennessee Waltz. I think album does suffer slightly from Long Road Out of Eden Syndrome: if it had been a ten-song release of the best material it would have been a blinder, but for being in the format it is it does drag on.
    I remember, a long, long time ago being put off buying Joe's, You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind because it only had 6 tracks on it. I don't think I've ever, not bought an album because it had too many tracks. It's a case of, if you want the album to sell or be regarded as an exceptional peice of work.

In the analog age, album editing and track sequencing were a very important part of the creative process, in the age of mutli gig drives on random play, there are an irrelavance.

I think Cass County is a great album, I like some tracks more than others but there are no constantly skipped tracks. If it was to be cut to, a more palitable 10 tracks, I think we would all choose a different 10.

Favourite tracks; Younger Man and Bramble Rose
    I can't really pick out a least favourite as I've enjoyed them all at one time or another.

It must have been an incredible time in the early 70s when it was standard practice for all artists to release an album a year.

I look forward to reading your song by song breakdown thelastresort.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Happy first birthday to Cass County! It is difficult to believe that a year has passed since its release. To start with I'd like to thank Soda and Dreamer very much for sending me the album as my prize in the HOTE quote competition last autumn - I was absolutely delighted when it arrived and I still get a warm glow whenever I look at my copy.

Overall I think it is a very good album, and I'm very glad that Don released it. I'm far from an expert on the country genre, but I can certainly enjoy the album. Another thing that is nice about CC is that everyone in my household likes it - it's quite unusual for all four of us to really like an album, normally at least one of us has to 'tolerate' an album, so it is refreshing when we find one we can all agree on enjoying like this one. Of course, I'm also delighted that he toured in the UK this summer so I could see his superb show!

I will do a song by song breakdown when I have the time, but will say the first half of the album is a lot, lot stronger than the second. Still a fine album though, and I do still listen to a lot of the songs from it even a year after its release. Belated happy birthday CC!
    I will say, if the four extra songs are the deluxe edition inclusions, then I only really rate The Brand New Tennessee Waltz. I think album does suffer slightly from Long Road Out of Eden Syndrome: if it had been a ten-song release of the best material it would have been a blinder, but for being in the format it is it does drag on.
    I feel more or less exactly the same way about the album. I agree with you in that I'd have preferred a very strong 10-12 track album, and none of the extra songs on the deluxe edition are among my personal favourites. I don't feel the same way about Eden as I think that offering such a large number of songs and such a wide range of styles is one of the album's greatest virtues (funnily enough from what I've read it was Don who wanted LROOE to be a great single album rather than a double, which Glenn argued for), but CC is more focused on one style of music and therefore I think it doesn't benefit as much from having a larger number of songs. I'm also with you in thinking that the first half of the album is stronger, although having said this my favourite song is quite close to the end. On the positive side, I agree it has plenty of strong songs, which are standing up well a year after their release.

I've not listened to the 12-song 'standard edition' track list in that order, so I probably need to hear it that way to see how it plays compared to the 16 song version (looking at it closely I am surprised how different it is - I'm really not sure why, especially at the start and end of the record where none of the additional tracks were inserted). I have to admit I'm not a great fan of the current trend for 'deluxe edition' releases of albums with three or four additional tracks - to me, the album should be the album. I can understand it as it is probably easier for people to buy the deluxe edition rather than including the extra songs as B-sides on singles which have to be acquired separately, but I think it's difficult to do it without weakening the album (I don't like to skip tracks, but I will if there is a song that I find annoying or does nothing for me) or spoiling its integrity, although luckily I think only the former is an issue with Cass County.
    Last edited by Jonny Come Lately; 09-28-2016 at 04:57 AM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

So sorry I'm late on this, but belatedly ...

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY CASS COUNTY!!!

I have to say although I think Cass County is a good album, country music has never been one of my favorite genres. Don's voice is still awesome and I love how he collaborated with other artists on many of the songs. Still, it's not among my personal favorites of his solo efforts. As I've said before, I feel very similar about this album as I do with Glenn's After Hours - both good albums, but just not my favorite types of music.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Can't believe it's been a year already!

I wouldn't rate it as Don's strongest album but it has several standout tracks and I'm just so happy he's still making music and putting himself out there.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Hope you don't mind me asking, but is there any thread in this section for ranking Don's solo albums? I've never seen one in my time on here, but I'm way of starting a new one in case there's a suitable topic already in existence. I think it might be a timely juncture to do this given that the new kid in town amongst Don's solo albums has just reached its first birthday.

Here's an old topic we have on the matter, JCL, but it's so old it doesn't include Cass County. You can either revive it or start a new one - up to you!

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...read.php?t=452

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Can't believe it's been a year! Happy Birthday to Cass County!

Not my favorite of Don's albums, but I like! Favorite song right now is Train.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by tracy123 View Post
    "Younger Man" was written about me
    That's a very tantalizing statement! Are you talking literally or figuratively like the rest of us Don fans?
    Save
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by tracy123 View Post
    literally , based on a conversation I had with him while I was waiting tables. I'm not really a fan . Didn't even recognize him , thought I was just talking to some random guy from my home town.
    So, maybe his song Waiting Tables would be interesting to you?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Troubadour

I'm sorry you feel that way, Tracy. I have to admit that I don't quite understand what you're saying but that's none of my business. But if you mean that you think those two songs that Don wrote based on conversations you had with him mock your experiences then all I can say is that's not how they come across to me. I find them heartfelt and poignant but I might feel different if I was in your position.

Like I said I'm not really clear about the situation.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...