Thread: Cream(Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce, & Eric Clapton)

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Default Cream(Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce, & Eric Clapton)

One of my favourite bands when I was coming of age(right up there with Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, the Grateful Dead, and the Eagles), they've put out quite a varying assortment of songs in their just 2 years together as a band. Their music has ranged from hard rock("Sunshine of Your Love," "White Room") to Blues("I'm So Glad," "Spoonful," "Sitting on Top of the World," "Crossroads") to Pop("I Feel Free"), and all the way to dance/tea time music("As You Said"). They have also mixed Psychedelic tones into their overall sound, most notably on their acclaimed "Disraeli Gears" and "Wheels of Fire" albums.

Jack Bruce passed away two years ago October 25, and Ginger Baker has been recuperating from heart surgery and a fall. Eric Clapton still gets around, but concerns regarding his health have been circulating in recent months). The old dogs are fading away, but their musical contributions should never be forgotten.

Here's a few favourites of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRLw_qyw9Bw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ymlx_wq5k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRtAQdqkxBI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opmjy7S6Oi8
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Cream(Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce, & Eric Clapton)

I noticed these guys were mentioned a couple of times in the Music/Song Suggestions (a big thank you to everyone who posted their suggestions there), so I've decided to start exploring their music. This has culminated in me buying Disraeli Gears on CD yesterday, as I get the sense that it's probably the best starting point. I can't offer much in the way of opinion here as I'm quite new to this band. Indeed, until recently the only song I really knew was Sunshine Of Your Love. Fortunately I really like it though! It's inclusion on DG was a big factor in me deciding to get that record but I will definitely give the whole album a couple of listens soon.

Stuck on the Border

How are you getting on with Cream?

You prompted me to look for Disraeli Gears which I haven't listened to since my sister left homeabout 40 years ago. I do have a couple of Eric Clapton "Best of" albums which include Cream.

I'd forgotten all about "My baby Has gone down the plug'ole". It's obvious filler but I enjoy it and I remember singing along to it.

My favourites are "Tales of Brave Ulysses", "Strange Brew", "Sunshine of Your Love".

Amazing titbit from Wikipedia:
    According to [engineer Tom] Dowd the recording sessions took only three and a half days, a feat considering the length of the album. The band's visas expired on the very last day of recording.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'm a fan of Cream. I discovered them several years ago on YouTube. White Room is one of my favorite songs of all time. I have Disraeli Gears on vinyl and cd and a greatest hits album on cd. I hope to eventually buy Fresh Cream and Wheels of Fire on cd.

Some of my favorite Cream songs are White Room, Crossroads, Tales of Brave Ulysses, I Feel Free, Born Under a Bad Sign, I'm So Glad, Badge, and Sunshine of Your Love.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    How are you getting on with Cream?

You prompted me to look for Disraeli Gears which I haven't listened to since my sister left homeabout 40 years ago. I do have a couple of Eric Clapton "Best of" albums which include Cream.

I'd forgotten all about "My baby Has gone down the plug'ole". It's obvious filler but I enjoy it and I remember singing along to it.

My favourites are "Tales of Brave Ulysses", "Strange Brew", "Sunshine of Your Love".
    Thanks for asking! I've only listened to the album in full once so far, although I haven't had so much time for listening to music this week. I plan to give it another spin (or whatever it is you do with MP3 files taken from a CD!) in the next few days. I'm enjoying it quite a lot so far though. The more psychedelic tunes remind me a little in places of Syd Barrett Pink Floyd, although it's more bluesy than anything from The Piper at the Gates of Dawn thanks to the guitars from 'Slowhand'! Funnily enough, I'd probably agree with you on my favourite songs from the album. I'd say my order of preference at this stage is probably Sunshine as my favourite, Strange Brew second and Ulysses third.