I'm just bringing this sort of topic up, since The Birth of a Nation came out last weekend. There's been controversy surrounding it due to director Nate Parker's past coming up, since there are a couple scenes in the film that were written by him and his friend who was also involved in that past incident. It only made $7 million last weekend, but I think it would have made more money if he didn't have a checkered past.

People on iMDB and other areas bring up the examples of Roman Polanski, Woody Allen, and Mel Gibson's conduct, and how they seemingly get a pass. Although Woody is a bit strange, he's the least affected by what he's been accused of before out of the three I mentioned. His films get Oscar noms. Polanski won a best director Oscar for The Pianist in 2003, and Mel Gibson is sort of working but not to the extent of what he has done in the past.

Personally, I haven't seen these guys' films because I haven't gotten around to it. I tried to watch Hannah and Her Sisters, but I stopped b/c I thought it was dull. I've seen only Polanski's Frantic for Harrison Ford, since he's one of my favorite actors. I haven't seen much of Gibson's work b/c I haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe I'm subconsciously avoiding them due to the things they've done in the past, and also, I'd rather watch other movies.

Also, I remembered Phil Spector, so if you have any thoughts on whether you can separate his music production expertise from his involvement in the death of Lana Clarkson, feel free to say anything.

Anyways, you could talk about people in film, TV, music, or etc, and I'd like to hear what you think about this subject. The people you mention don't have to be as extreme as the ones I've mentioned, but you certainly can use extreme examples of people. I mean, they could be mild things, like people that say stupid/ignorant things on late night talk shows, those who act all arrogant in interviews, or etc. I just want to know if their actions affect how you see their work or not.

If you don't really care for this topic or you'd rather not say anything, then it's fine to let this topic die. Also, sorry if this isn't the right discussion area. I just thought that it would be safer here, since some of these artists have done criminal things in the past.