Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Randy at the Troubadour

Default Randy at the Troubadour

This is a little tidbit from Artie Wayne's memories of his days at the Troubadour. I didn't include it in Randy's press thread b/c it was not much but it did reference Glenn. I thought it offered a small glimpse into their personalities. AFAIK, it hasn't been posted already.

It was also on a Monday night when Glenn Frye and Randy Meisner of the Eagles wrestled me to the ground, took my highly polished Frye boots with "sissified" custom built platform heels, and threw them onto Santa Monica Boulevard as a joke.
    I note he spelled "Frye" instead of Frey and referred to the boots as "Frye" as well.

https://artiewayne.wordpress.com/tag...randy-meisner/

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Randy at the Troubadour

I knew I'd seen something similar before. There was also something about The Hollies wanting to record "Witchy Woman".
    https://artiewayne.wordpress.com/200...-got-that-way/

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I knew I'd seen something similar before. There was also something about The Hollies wanting to record "Witchy Woman".
    https://artiewayne.wordpress.com/200...-got-that-way/
    The Hollies probably never put it out back in the day, but they actually did record "Witchy Woman" and it finally surfaced a few years back on a multi-disc collection of lps and rarities. They do a respectable job with it, but it's a far cry from the Eagles' version.

Funny story, although I feel for the guy if he lost his neat boots, lol.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Interesting article, UTW. I didn't know anyone covered PEF back then. And I'm trying to imagine the Hollies doing WW. That might be something to check out.

Cool story. Sounds like something they'd do.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Randy and "Pogo" made their Troubadour debut Oct. 14 or 21, 1968 on "Hoot Night." They then appeared again as "R.F.D." on Oct. 24. This is a review they received:

HARMONIES C/O R.F.D

BY MICHAEL ETCHISON

Los Angeles Herald-Examiner

They popped into the Troubadour one Monday night, then disappeared, only to show up again last Thursday. At the time they were called Pogo, but this week they are called R.F.D. They dow something between country and rock, authentically both, with leanings one way and another. They are the Richie Furay group.

Furay, who also brought Jim Messina from the Buffalo Springfield with him, took the trouble to rehearse them well before the public saw them, a gesture that the packed house appreciated. The group goes in for the high rich harmonies that the Springfield loved, except that in the Springfield Furay was usually the highest voice and in R.F.D. the bass player, Randy Meisner, sings above him. Occasionally this leads to a little screechiness, but they will probably get over that.

The lead guitar is played by Rusty Young, and it is a steel guitar (Hawaiian-style that is) It is not surprising to hear a steel playing country solos on songs like "What A Day" or "Yes Indeed." What is amazing is to hear a hard rock solo as on "Short Changed."

The sound is much like the Springfield in ways, enough so that old fans will be new fans, but not so much that they are simply a copy (Dewey Martin, by the way, is billing his new group as Buffalo Springfield, which is legal but ludicrous).

The Troubadour promised that they will be back in a few weeks for a regular engagement.
    ("screechiness"? )
    http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/deliverin/DebutRev68.htm
    Last edited by Delilah; 03-07-2018 at 02:01 PM. Reason: picture of review removed by Photobucket

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you! That page won't load for me though.

Photo taken of "Pogo" between 11/19-12/01/68

Pogo at the Troubadour (L to R, Messina, Meisner, Grantham, Furay and Young) Note on the floor between Furay and Meisner the gift from fan Kathy Johnson that becomes the cover art for their From the Inside album. (Photo credit: Richie Furay Archives)

Two reviews from the same time period:

POGO AND BIFF ROSE AT THE TROUBADOUR

by Pete Johnson

Los Angeles Times

The Troubadour is showcasing two new acts - Pogo and Biff Rose - through Dec. 1 and now is the time to catch them since each seems destined for larger arenas. The show is, in fact, one of the best I've seen this year.

Pogo resembles the Buffalo Springfield, no accident, since it contains two former members of the rock group: Richie Furay and Jim Messina.

The quintet, however, leans even more towards country music than the Springfield did, an inclination which has led to the inclusion of Rusty Young, who plays steel guitar and dobro.

Richie Furay shares lead vocals with Randy Meisner, bassist for the group (Furay plays rhythm guitar, as does Messina). Rounding out Pogo is George Grantham on drums.

All are capable musicians and the singing combination of Furay and Meisner is terrific. Both have high, flexible voices which melt together in delightful harmonies and separate for strong solos.

Pogo is also one of the tightest groups I have seen, a coordination which obviously stems from endless practices and good feelings within the combo.

The band seems like the natural heirs to the originality, diversity and togetherness which marked the beginnings of the Byrds and the Buffalo Springfield, Southern California's two best folk-rooted rock groups so far.

SWINGING AND PENSIVE STYLES OF BOBBY, ROSE

By Michael Etchison

Los Angeles Herald-Examiner

At the Troubadour, Biff Rose shares the bill with Pogo, formerly R.F.D., formerly Buttermilk, Richie Furay's group, that is.

Pogo, who will be at the club with Rose through Dec. 1, have broadened their material since their one-night stand a few weeks back. They are still a seemless combination of rock and country, but there is a bit more variety now.

Several songs are Everly Brothers-dreamy, especially "Today my First Love Has Arrived." "Crazy Eyes" started out that way, then got very high-powered.

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/deliverin/poco68-69.htm

*sorry the other link didn't work for you NMB; this one should although you'll have to click on the sublinks*
    Last edited by Delilah; 03-07-2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Photos removed by Photobucket

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Dang, that Deliverin' person is one heck of a researcher. He or she had a web page chronicle of every known concert that Randy ever played. Wish I could thank him/her.