Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Randy at the Troubadour

Default Re: Randy at the Troubadour

I didn't realize it was the same person who did the concert chronologies for both Poco and Randy, but it makes sense. Randy's is a treasure trove of information and I am both grateful for and impressed by it. I think there may be one Eagles concert date that is wrong.

As an aside, Randy's information shows he played some European tour dates with Rick Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band in 1970. So the comment in the HOTE documentary that Bernie was the only Eagle to have ever been out of the U.S. before recording the debut album in London was another misstatement.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Another review of "Pogo" at the Troubadour, during the period of Feb. 4-9, 1969.

FURAY'S POGO AT TROUBADOUR

By Michael Etchison

Los Angeles Herald-Examiner

Pogo is not quite the house band of the Troubadour; it only seems that way. Most clubs should have a house band that good.

Not, unfortunately, that their opening night this time around was the best they have been. More than once, they seemed to be straining to keep it together. Since I have never seen a hint of this before, I take it that it will not happen often.

Their material (all written by Richie Furay) remains divided between rock and country, neither pure. "How Many More" for example, begins in an easy lope and unobtrusively but rapidly becomes very powerful, only to back off, then do it again.

The high point of the set I saw was bassist Randy Meisner's singing of "Anyway Bye Bye," in which he started out sounding something like Rusty Draper in "Night Life" and rising to a falsetto climax that sparked cheers from the partisan audience.

As I listened to them, I found myself thinking that there are two singer-songwriters whom Furay should get to know. EAch of them writes something like the others, but not so much that no cross-pollination would be possible. Then I realized I was thinking of Steve Stills and Neil Young, and the Buffalo Springfield is already dead.
    My emphasis. I don't know who Rusty Draper is; I'll have to check him out. I'm guessing it was during this period (Fall/Winter) that "an unemployed Glenn Frey" was hanging around the Troubadour and watching their rehearsals. Glenn arrived in L.A. the previous summer.

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/deliverin/poco68-69.htm

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Rusty Draper singing "Night Life"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAHM-US_nhY

The reference was totally lost on me, so I looked it up on the YouTubes.

Kudos to Randy!

Wow, Mr. Rusty Draper had some kind of smooth, sultry voice. That's quite a compliment for Randy.

I can't resist posting a portion of another review from the same time period:

ROOT MUSIC

By Pete Senoff

Open City

Roots music invaded the City of Angels in a big way last week as the Troubadour, Whisky, and UCLA's Royce Hall presented programs of country-western, rustic-folk, Irish-folk and Judy Collins...

...In comparision, Pogo's opening night performance at the Troubadour illustrated that the group is a great rock unit employing country-western influences. After being introducted as "Doug 'Weston's Version of the Rodeo," Pogo, led by Richie Furay and Randy Meisner ran up to the stage, yipping and yelling their Minnie Pearl-like "Howdies" and proceded to do a set of material that perhaps could best be labled: uptempo Buffalo Springfield (they even included one Springfield standard, Furay's "A Child's Claim to Fame."
    I'm trying to imagine quiet, limelight-shy Randy doing this. But maybe he wasn't quite like that back then. The review goes on to say Goldie Hawn was in the audience.
    http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/deliverin/poco68-69.htm

Loving all these reviews you are finding Delilah! Keep them coming. I love to read all that I can on Randy and I have not seen these before.

I know I have been remiss in updating this topic. Anyway, here is something else about Randy’s Poco days at The Troubadour provided by musician Arnie Moore, who played bass for John Stewart (formerly of The Kingston Trio). There’s also an interesting bit about Glenn.

All these people, the Eagles, Glen Frey especially, and Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner. That reminds me of the very first time I saw Poco perform. I don't know what year it was. They didn't have a record contract, but somebody had put in a lot of money because Richie Furay could put it together because of the Buffalo Springfield. They rehearsed for months out in Topanga Canyon, and I walk in the Troubador one night and there are all these record people there, so I think something is going to happen. You see, Monday night there is hoot night. You can sign up and perform, and between 10 and 11 o'clock is the prime spot, and record companies will bring their debut artists in and people that want to audition for somebody get that spot. So I go in there and there are the original Poco, with Randy Meisner on bass. They came out there and did five songs, I can't remember which, and blew the place apart. Nobody could believe it! Nobody had ever seen Randy Miesner before. He'd done little things around town, but nobody was really aware of him. He'd been in other little groups and things. The Poor, they'd come out of Colorado, or wherever it was they'd gotten together. Came out to L.A. to make it big and didn't. Randy got found by Richie and in to Poco. Rusty Young, he's a nice cat as well. The Troubador is the centre of all that, the hang out place where we all go if we're lonely, or want to go out for a beer or meet some friends. A year before the Eagles formed, before anybody heard about it, Glen Frey asked me to come over and play rock and roll with him. I was always on the road, just like I am now, and I never got time to go over and play with Glen Frey! Had time to go over and hear them rehearse after they got together, but I can't sing like Randy Meisner, I wish I could. I love high harmonies.
    ”The Arnie Moore Interview” by Peter O’Brien, Omaha Rainbow, Issue 4, April 29, 1974

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Too bad he never made it by to play rock & roll with Glenn!

Cool interview! Thanks Delilah!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Wow, very interesting, Delilah, thanks for finding it!

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Very nice find, Miss Delilah, and I REALLY like your new avatar photo (va-va-voom!).