Thread: Don's "style" over the years

Default Don's "style" over the years

This isn't a positive or negative post, it's more curiosity than anything.

I've noticed watching videos of 70s Don, 90s Don, and today's Don that he made a huge change in his personal style, appearance, and mannerisms after he left the band in 2000. Again, not a bad change but a curious (to me) one.

In the 70s and 90s he was not a leather jacket and fancy shirt and sunglasses guy. He was a shirt and pants guy. And pretty informal...not your typical rockstar look. None of the guys were IMO, and I mean that in a neutral light. They seemed a bit more informal and "country" (not in music but in appearance). A bit more like country folk or laid back average people.

Then when Don went solo he majorly changed his hair, his teeth, and is more what I call your "rockstar" look. I feel that Joe had made a similar change as well so we could discuss that in the Walsh section. Although I feel his look now seems healthier than back then, of course. Where as I felt Henley and Glenn were more tshirt or button down shirt and jeans or pants people other than the "funeral suit" era of the LROOE tour which I hated. I felt it was too corporate.

It's not a preference, just more curiosity. He want from looking like someone who wasn't a rockstar and your "ordinary average guy" to looking very Hollywood in recent years and fashion-conscious. I just wonder what the impetus was as that wasn't "him" in the 70s and 90s. Pretty far removed from it actually. I felt that he and the rest of the guys back then were pretty laid back in appearance, and while Don and Glenn chose to go with business suits, Felder decided to go very fashion and outfit and jacket focused. Very "LA".

Any ideas or just discussion about it is great. I don't mean it in any way other than curiosity as I really don't care what the man dresses in, but I'm always curious when people make drastic changes in their personality or look and there is seemingly no outward reason. Some have speculated plastic surgery. I'm not sure about that either way but I definitely think he underwent major dentistry. Nothing wrong with changing things up, just makes me curious. That's all.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don's "style" over the years

My guess would be it's a woman's touch. One of the big changes between Don's time in the Eagles and as a solo artist was that he divorced his long-standing wife and took up with a much younger and very beautiful woman. Even if she didn't style his look, I expect she encouraged him to engage a stylist. When it comes to teeth, that may have been partially driven by wear and tear - not unusual for a man in his fifties - and you may as well make the new teeth pretty as well as functional. I don't know about cosmetic surgery but I suspect he may have used less invasive treatments such as botox. Again that may be the influence of his girlfriend.

The other reason for a change of style was that he was to be the frontman of his band. Having the right stage clothes and looking good probably gives him confidence.

Most of the above could be said of Joe Walsh. His image has been less wacky and more flattering since his marriage to Marjorie.

Don Henley uses a stylist at least for his solo shows and in the 80s videos. I suspect his true style is more what we saw with the Eagles.

As for Glenn, " The invitation said that dress was Glenn Frey standard – “Jeans and a sport coat or a damn fine suit. Players choice!” Apart from the sportswear, he stuck pretty close to that since the late 70s. It looks like he always had issues with his teeth until he had a major overhaul in the late 90s.

Timothy has had his teeth fixed.

I always loved how Don dresses today. I always wonder why he did a 180 wit his clothes(not complaining on the clothes). He's more sexier today. His sexiness became more define when the guys got back together in the 90s and it started to grow over the years. I didn't like the beard from the 70s, but for some reason, it looked nice on him in the mid 90s. I think Don was kinda wearing the same stage costumes from the 70s during the HFO. I really didn't like the facial hair on the guys. Made them look old, but that's another subject. LOL

You actually right, UTW. Now the focus is on him, he wanted to look the part. Kathrin probably did help him out in that category. Plus he did say she helped get him through some much during that time when he was divorcing his first wife and being fired from the Eagles.

I think everybody's changed in the clothes department. I'm so glad Joe finally found his style. Oh my those wacky clothes in the early to mid 2000s. What was he thinking. I love his shirts. They are out there sometimes, but still nice. Now black is his color. Marjorie probably helped him in that category too. I think both of Don's and Joe's ladies changed them so much, but in a good way not a bad way.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 11-11-2016 at 10:25 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Whatever happened, he looks darn cool these days, and it doesn't look like a calculated "image". In fact it looks so natural that I hadn't even thought about the "image change" until this topic.

I don't know if he had plastic surgery. If he did, that doctor did a great job, but I don't think he had it. He had his teeth fixed and the mole he had on the left side of his nose was gone by the time the guys got back together in the 90s. I think that's the only thing I notice that changed on his face.

Stuck on the Border

He must have done something to his hair too if it was "thinning slightly at the back" in the 70's. But it looks perfectly natural...

Both Don H and Glenn had their teeth fixed in the early 70s, paid for by David Geffen.

The prevalence of social media probably has something to do with Don F being more image-conscious; perhaps his ties with the Kardashians have had some influence as well. No longer part of the Eagles, perhaps he felt like he had to establish his own identity and stand out more. I have no doubt his younger, more hip wife had input about his fashion choices.

I'm pretty sure both Don's have had plastic surgery or some kind of work done, years ago. It's fairly common these days with celebrities over a certain age. It's so common I think many people don't notice it anymore. Aging naturally seems to get more noticed, lol. I used to watch "The Real Housewives" shows on Bravo TV so I generally can recognize the telltale signs of fillers, lip injections, Botox, etc. With some of the housewives, it was very obvious but with others, not so much.

I like Don Felder's look now. He looks like a handsome and distinguished gentleman to me, though, not a typical rock-n-roller.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    He must have done something to his hair too if it was "thinning slightly at the back" in the 70's. But it looks perfectly natural...
    I wonder if that thinning spot was due to lifestyle and stress. It was pretty thick otherwise. His hair looks great now. Maybe he had vaneers put on his teeth cause he still has one or two that are a little out in front of the others..and he had that back in the day.

Somebody said he didn't wear sunglasses back in the day, but he was all about the aviators. I tweeted him one time after he posted a concert pic in sunglasses and I told him he needed some aviators like he used to rock back in the day. He retweeted it wand put a little heart on it! Thrill!

I think it's pretty natural to change with the times. He'd look a little weird in his 60's wearing patched jeans, a flannel shirt and suspenders.

I didn't mean it in a "sexiness" light of course, but rather looking like an average Joe to a more Hollywood-conscious guy. To me I think the 2000s and forward made a different but good change for him. It's just something I've noticed with certain idols of mine.

That said, I really like the guys in the 70s and even in the 90s when they are a bit more carefree and wild and not so "perfected". They always played it like the record and worked meticulously, but you could tell they were rockers. Not that I didn't like them in the later HFO-forward period but to me it got a tinge more "business-y". I quite like the stripped down band of the 70s and HFO, although they started adding more people then. To me the pinnacle of what I hated was the horn intro to Hotel California....I'm just not that kind of guy. lol

To me DF reminds me more of the way Joe Perry from Aerosmith in the way he dresses now, and while Joe to me has always defined cool and "rockstar", he really his more LA and fashion conscious now. To me I liked Joe best as Joe the ragged rockstar, as it just seemed to have the attitude and swagger with it.

And with DF I don't mean "washed up coked out" rockstar, I mean flamboyant, dressed up rockstar. At least where I'm from that kind of outfit isn't something I see a lot of people wearing. Again, I think in bigger cities it's more prevalent.

For Joe it was also a good change, but he looks way healthier now than before.

Out on the Border ambulance girl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles7 View Post
    I wonder if that thinning spot was due to lifestyle and stress. It was pretty thick otherwise. His hair looks great now. Maybe he had vaneers put on his teeth cause he still has one or two that are a little out in front of the others..and he had that back in the day.

Somebody said he didn't wear sunglasses back in the day, but he was all about the aviators. I tweeted him one time after he posted a concert pic in sunglasses and I told him he needed some aviators like he used to rock back in the day. He retweeted it wand put a little heart on it! Thrill!

I think it's pretty natural to change with the times. He'd look a little weird in his 60's wearing patched jeans, a flannel shirt and suspenders.
    OMG trying to picture almost 70 Don wearing patched jeans and suspenders...anyone know how to do photoshop?