Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of Selected Works: 1972-1999.

Border Desperado

Default Re: Celebration of Selected Works: 1972-1999.

I don't really understand why they went the direction they did with Selected Works.
    I think an actual box set would have been much better. Include all 6 Studio Albums, and the live concert. That would have sold much better (IMO) and been a nice collection to have, especially had they done a full concert double album from The Millennium shows.

BTW, I have the box set that they did do a few years back and I love it.

You could make them "special edition" versions of the albums and add all the extra stuff they had on SW.

Doing a pick and choose retrospective is neat, but I think that would be better from a group that had 10 or 15 albums.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    So, you're saying this may be a mishmash of stuff from The Staples Center and Mandalay Bay concerts, and not just the LA concert as listed?
    It very will could be. It sounded exactly similar to me. Really did. The Eagles are super shady when it comes to live releases. Even their recent Hotel California 40th Anniversary Edition 1976 Forum releases were overdubbed.

New Kid, here is a link to the 1999 LV concert. Hopefully, it works. Compare the solos of both versions of Hotel California from 1999. Eerily similar.

http://ia600209.us.archive.org/9/ite...asNV.mp3?cnt=0

Also to those talking about BOML, my personal fave is 1979 Osaka or 1980 Santa Monica (with JD Souther). Also one to listen is 1975 Springfield (the bootleg "Doolin Dalton"). Henley is on drums for this one (just like Santa Monica), but Dan Fogelberg comes out and plays piano on this version. Hence, the song has more depth!

Capital Center is too shady for it to be my favorite. I don't like the live releases in general as much as bootlegs.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Border Desperado

Cosec, you are very knowledgeable about the music side of things.
    Is it just me, or is Don mixed louder in the live house mix sound than in recordings when he's singing backup?

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    Cosec, you are very knowledgeable about the music side of things.
    Is it just me, or is Don mixed louder in the live house mix sound than in recordings when he's singing backup?
    Thanks I guess. Though I ain't an expert. I'm just a teenager who is a noob when it comes to music theory. WalshFan is an expert though. I just observe well because I have a decent knowledge of bootlegs.

And very well could be about Felder. Some of the Felder fans sardonically say that Frey and Henley always mix him too low when releasing. And that they sabotaged Visions.

Border Desperado

Yeah, from his book, I know Felder didn't like the HFO house mix. He said he'd take the tapes back to his room to listen to, and make suggestions, but that they fell on deaf ears.

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    It very will could be. It sounded exactly similar to me. Really did. The Eagles are super shady when it comes to live releases. Even their recent Hotel California 40th Anniversary Edition 1976 Forum releases were overdubbed.

New Kid, here is a link to the 1999 LV concert. Hopefully, it works. Compare the solos of both versions of Hotel California from 1999. Eerily similar.

http://ia600209.us.archive.org/9/ite...asNV.mp3?cnt=0

Also to those talking about BOML, my personal fave is 1979 Osaka or 1980 Santa Monica (with JD Souther). Also one to listen is 1975 Springfield (the bootleg "Doolin Dalton"). Henley is on drums for this one (just like Santa Monica), but Dan Fogelberg comes out and plays piano on this version. Hence, the song has more depth!

Capital Center is too shady for it to be my favorite. I don't like the live releases in general as much as bootlegs.
    I wondered about that too, if the Millennium Concert had songs from both LA and Vegas. In All She Wants to Do is Dance, Henley said something like all she wants to do is gamble, which would suggest Vegas, but I think it said it was the LA concert.

Your knowledge of bootlegs is impressive, cosec. As for bootlegs vs live releases, I don't mind the live releases, especially live released video, even if it's been overdubbed. "Shady" or not, I love the Capital Center dvd, imo they were at their peak then. There is so little official live material, I will take what I can!

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I wondered about that too, if the Millennium Concert had songs from both LA and Vegas. In All She Wants to Do is Dance, Henley said something like all she wants to do is gamble, which would suggest Vegas, but I think it said it was the LA concert.

Your knowledge of bootlegs is impressive, cosec. As for bootlegs vs live releases, I don't mind the live releases, especially live released video, even if it's been overdubbed. "Shady" or not, I love the Capital Center dvd, imo they were at their peak then. There is so little official live material, I will take what I can!
    It's not JUST that Capital Center is overdubbed. It is that, the whole affair was faked. The croud is most probably from another concert and they faked the whole thing to get some "live" footage for that 1977 documentary they cancelled. I need to ask my friends for some concrete proof. Or they'll make another thread for this later.

It's not JUST that Capital Center is overdubbed. It is that, the whole affair was faked. The croud is most probably from another concert and they faked the whole thing to get some "live" footage for that 1977 documentary they cancelled. I need to ask my friends for some concrete proof. Or they'll make another thread for this later.
    I’m not sure that is real. I’m not sure how you can just completely change the crowd. I also don’t think they would fake that all for some footage. I could be wrong but this was 40 years ago. I can’t think of another situation similar this back then. Today it’s different with the amount of editing technology available but that’s a different story back then.

Border Desperado

I think a lot of "Live" stuff is manipulated, and controlled.
    I remember when Garth Brooks was doing a Live TV concert from Texas Stadium (I think), they did 3 shows, and added a 4th show that was free for the audience. The reason it was free is that there was going to be a lot of camera people on stage, obstructing the view of the concert to get all the closeups for the special.
    So yeah, I can believe that they'd do things to get the footage they wanted.

I don't think the whole affair was faked...they did really play this show, you can see the setlist online. Why would you think the crowd was from another concert? Like YEF said, I don't think they had the technological ability to do that in 1977. I'm sure there was some editing, but I bet all bands/artists do that with live footage that is commercially released, they want to present themselves at their best.