Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Top 10 Artists (other than the Eagles)

Default Re: Your Top 10 Artists (other than the Eagles)

In no particular order:
    1. The Osmonds(their solo stuff too)
    2. The Oak Ridge Boys
    3. Vince Gill
    4. Kenny Loggins
    5. Fleetwood Mac
    6. The Bee Gees
    7. Meat Loaf
    8. Queen
    9. Journey(when Steve Perry was in the group)
    10. Neil Diamond

Pink Floyd
    The Doors
    The Beatles
    Supertramp
    Led Zeppelin
    The Who
    Steely Dan
    ELO
    David Bowie
    Rolling Stones

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Meant to post here over the last couple of days but just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the great response so far! I've really enjoyed reading through all your lists and with 17 lists so far (16 excluding my own) the table is beginning to take shape. If we get just a few more lists I will put it up - although I can say for now that there is a very impressive breadth of different artists and styles. Cheers!

AT, I haven't heard Glenn Hughes' new album. I must admit Deep Purple Mk3 is fairly new to me apart from the title track from Burn, although I've liked what I've heard (the Burn album is on my Christmas list). The only Purple records I own at present are the 'big three' Mk2 studio albums: In Rock, Fireball and Machine Head.

Bob Seger
    Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks
    Journey/Steve Perry
    Hall&Oates
    Jennifer Nettles
    Foreigner
    George Strait
    CSN
    Chris Stapelton
    Vince Gill

Banned

Top Ten
    1: Genesis
    2: Van Morrison
    3: Warren Zevon
    4: Elbow
    5: Peter Gabriel
    6: David Lindley / El Rayo-X
    7: Tom Waits
    8: David Gray
    9: Richard Marx
    X: Status Quo

In the last Century, making a list of my top ten artists would have been straight forward. The criteria being the albums and singles I'd listened to, plus the live performances I'd attended or seen in a rare TV appearance.
    I had to give a current top ten quite a lot of thought.

Where I used to enjoy browsing through record shops, now I enjoy browsing through the internet, picking up information rather than vinyl.
    The number of artists I'm familiar with and the knowledge I have of them is beyond anything I could have conceived when I first became a music fan so narrowing it down to ten took a bit of application.

One thing hasn't changed. I'm still unable to call myself a fan of any artists I've got to know in retrospect, even if, like the The Beatles and The Stones, their back catalog is outstanding in any comparison.

My criteria now, would still be based on how much I enjoy listening to the music but I suppose, how much I enjoy reading and following someone on the internet, comes into it too.

With so many artists showing a dependency on their back catalog, I think it's also important for artists to aspire to make new music. I still get great enjoyment listening to new music from artists that I like.

1: Genesis
    My favorite band. The more I've discovered, the more I've loved them. Their evolution from prog to pop was a fantastic journey. When I first heard the single, Mama on the radio, I loved it so much, I became a double Genesis fan! If you split the Gabriel and Collins eras, both would make my top ten, with the later stuff top.
    I'm sure their story has a chapter or two more to come.

2: Van Morrison
    Van was just someone I heard a lot about, without hearing any of his music. I saw a cut price Van Morrison LP, (Common One) on sale and bought it, liked it, bought another.. and so it continues. Always enjoyable, consistently good, sometimes great.

3: Warren Zevon
    I discovered Warren the same way I discovered Eagles, via Joe Walsh. There's no prospect of me hearing any new Zevon music but like Morrison and Genesis, I still really enjoy listening to the music they produced over several decades. Many of his songs have an endearing hint of mischief.

4: Elbow
    Local indie band hit the big time in 2008. Thought I should check them out. Great band, hugely popular amongst their peers. A warm and funny front man with a lovely voice. Heartwarming songs, unpretentious production and they're unabashed big Genesis fans too. They're not apologetic about playing loads of quiet songs either.

5: Peter Gabriel
    Started off in Genesis but the further he moved away from them, the more I liked him. I was indifferent to Peter until I heard his So album being played in constant rotation in a record shop. I must've been in there quite a while. I've been a huge fan ever since. You can hear his journey of exploration of sounds, rhythms and textures through his albums, while never dulling his abilities as a singer, musician and songwriter.

6: David Lindley / El Rayo-X
    I've never been a fan of rock guitarists, with the mega-sized exceptions of Joe Walsh and David Lindley. Like Gabriel, David Lindley has immersed himself in ethnic music throughout his career without entirely leaving the mainstream. El Rayo-X only made a handful of albums in the 80s before
    Lindley downsized to lower budget productions. His singing voice is an acquired taste but the music he plays, through his multitude of stringed instruments is a joy to listen to. His bootlegs are worth searching out too.

7: Tom Waits
    I heard Tom Traubert's Blues in a fairly well populated record shop. Everybody present was just like me, in stunned attentive silence. "In the moment" so to speak. Tom's another voice that's an acquired taste but he's also on the esteemed list of artists who have written and performed loads of great music over a period of several decades... often with great imagery and a touch of the unusual about them.

8: David Gray
    Another artist with local connections. I thought he'd make one great hit album (White Ladder) and then disappear back into obscurity but I dug deeper when I heard that, as well as being acknowledging by Glenn Frey as an influence on No More Cloudy Days, Henley had covered a few of his more obscure tracks in concert.
    I was impressed with his post, "trying to recreate the hit album", albums and listen to him quite a lot, particularly his most recent stuff.

9: Richard Marx
    Joe Walsh played on his hit first record. Richard had incredible success in his first few years but's his later stuff that I'm most fond of. After falling from pop sensation into adult/contemporary obscurity, he's still continuing to put out great recordings. His clutch of loss/grieving songs are exceptional. His voice and production values are better than ever.

10: One spot left and I still haven't mentioned, much loved, Phil Collins, Electric Light Orchestra, Pink Floyd, Dan Fogelberg, Jackson Browne, Stevie Nicks, REM, Ringo Starr, Jackson Browne, and a load of other mainly 70s, white, male rock stars.

I was tempted to include somebody contemporary but, as much as I love First Aid Kit, three progressively accomplished albums doesn't really compare with 40 years worth of hits, so, although their talent is obvious and I look forward to new First Aid Kit material with much anticipation, I plump for old timers, Status Quo, who's future looks diametrically, grim.

During a five decade career in which they've veered from ok, to brilliant, to awful, embarrassing and great again, with an ugly break-up and glorious reunion thrown in, Quo are now on a definite downturn again, ditching their guitar rock roots and going multi instrument, acoustic pseudo folk pop.
    I doubt whether they'll make my next top ten list but they were great in their time and over the years I guess I've been there, done that and bought the T-Shirt where the Quo are concerned.

Thanks for the stimulating topic JCL
    Last edited by Funk 50; 11-27-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

My original intention was to post the results so far after getting to 20 lists, but I think it's probably fair to post the current standings as we are only one short and, more importantly, there are enough artists with a decent number of votes to make a sensible and meaningful list (when I last posted. Once again, thanks to everyone who has voted so far. I've done a combined list as well as individual lists for bands/groups and solo artists:

Bands/Groups
    1. Fleetwood Mac - 8
    2. The Beatles - 7
    =3 Creedence Clearwater Revival - 4
    =3 Led Zeppelin - 4
    =3 Pink Floyd - 4

Solo Artists
    1. Tom Petty (& The Heartbreakers) - 5
    2. George Strait - 4
    =3 Vince Gill - 3
    =3 Bob Seger - 3
    =3 Bruce Springsteen - 3

Overall
    1. Fleetwood Mac - 8
    2. The Beatles - 7
    3. Tom Petty (& The Heartbreakers) - 5
    =4 Creedence Clearwater Revival - 4
    =4 Led Zeppelin - 4
    =4 Pink Floyd - 4
    =4 George Strait - 4

I planned to post a top ten, but it didn't make sense to do so as there are eight artists tied with three votes each, especially as the three solo artists with this number of votes did make the solo artists list. I won't post any commentary now. I would probably have guessed some of these, but there were others that surprised me (either they weren't as prominent as I thought, or did better than I expected).

I can't emphasise enough that me posting these does not mark the end of this thread. I'd love to see more lists and people are more than welcome to post up new lists at any time (or make changes to earlier ones if you so wish). Just thought it would interesting to show the current standings.

Stuck on the Border

All of you seem to have artists/bands on your lists that are very different from each other. Could you say how much of the stuff on your list is stuff you heard when you were young (parents' record collection, a schoolfriend's collection etc.) as opposed to stuff you fell in love with later on? I mean really early stage in your life when you didn't "know what I like".

For example, very early on I discovered Procol Harum and Kris Kristofferson in my father's record collection, The Moody Blues in my mother's record collection, Queen and ELO in my uncle's record collection, while jazz and all kinds of classical stuff were something I fell in love with much later on.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    All of you seem to have artists/bands on your lists that are very different from each other. Could you say how much of the stuff on your list is stuff you heard when you were young (parents' record collection, a schoolfriend's collection etc.) as opposed to stuff you fell in love with later on? I mean really early stage in your life when you didn't "know what I like".

For example, very early on I discovered Procol Harum and Kris Kristofferson in my father's record collection, The Moody Blues in my mother's record collection, Queen and ELO in my uncle's record collection, while jazz and all kinds of classical stuff were something I fell in love with much later on.
    Guilty on all counts with Genesis, although I've been listening to them since Invisible Touch. But I have been a Gabriel fan since his first album & a Collins fan since HIS first album.

I received my first copy of A Hard Day's Night when it was released in 1964, when I was three. It took a while, but the Beatles have been part of my life since then.

I've been a fan of Elton John since I spent a year in the UK in 1972-73 when I was 11-12. I discovered the Stones & Zeppelin after returning home still in my teens, and Van Morrison and Bob Dylan when I went to university.

With Dire Straits I think I can claim fandom since they started, although I didn't really get serious about them until Making Movies in 1980, at university, whiich is my second favourite album. I have followed Knopfler since they broke up.

I listen to a lot of classical music which began with the purchase of my first CD player in 1986. But that's a separate issue.

I was born in 1960. My parents were into jazz, Sinatra, Crosby, that stuff. I never got into that, so I was never influenced by anything in their collection, although hearing Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass brings back childhood memories.

A general observation as a non-American is that I have not heare a single song by either George Strait or Vince Gill, both of whom figure in other lists. Eagles fan or not, I never had any interest in listening to country music.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

For me all of them expect Coldplay and Sarah McLachlan were artists my parents listened to so I knew of them from a very early age and liked their music. Sarah's music I got into as I became a pre-teen in the late 90s and I feel in love with her songs. She fits a lot of the female singers I like, like Stevie Nicks, Sheryl Crowe, Kate Bush, and now Florence & the Machine. As for Coldplay I got into them in 2000 when I was 13 going on 14 and their song "Yellow" became a huge hit and I got into alternative rock more. I've liked them through all of their changes similar to how the Beatles and U2 have changed their sounds with their music. Both are also artists I easily can stretch my imagination and pictures story ideas and scenes to when I listen.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

Thank you for your stories. In some cases I know certain artists certainly weren't discovered in their parents' record collection. But I don't know how old most of you are, so when someone mentions Lynyrd Skynyrd, for example, he/she may have discovered the band when they first started, but if the person is younger, it may have been something his/her parents listened to, or he/she may have discovered the band later on - hearing them on the radio for example.