Page 1 of 57 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Lindsey Buckingham

Default Lindsey Buckingham

Well, I've had a pretty busy past week or so! It all started the Friday before last, when two of my friends came in - one from Mississippi, one from Chicago - to join me on my trip. Our first stop was Cincinnati, where we met up with Bree from this board. We had fourth row center, behind the pit. It was a great show and I was delighted when he threw in Bwana, a song he hadn't played live since 1981, at the request of a girl in the front. His guitarwork was flawless and I think his vocals are even more powerful live than they are on his new album, Under the Skin, where sometimes the vocals come off as amateurish (sorry Lindsey!) Also, the audience was fabulous - completely full of energy -which always makes the experience better.

After the show, we waited outside the venue hoping he would come out and sign autographs. Sure enough, he did! I got my Under the Skin CD signed, Bree got to tell him she was from Canada, and my other two friends were able to get some words in, too. We were thrilled!

Here's a photo of us outside the venue in Cincy:

Next stop - Detroit - or Mt. Clemens, to be exact. This was general admission - first come, first serve. We were determined to be there as early as possible. We all drove from Cincy, but the weather was wretched - cold, rainy, miserable. It was also the day of the World Series game in Detroit, but luckily we didn't hit too much traffic. After finding our hotel with great difficulty - apparently the only hotel in Mt. Clemens - we headed over to the venue, the Emerald Theater. We got there about 4:00 and were behind 12 or so people - not too bad, except we only had thin coats and the wind and rain were pummelling us. We huddled in the alcove of a barber shop near us in line, made friends with a few people around us and chit chatted, and tried to ignore the fact that we were freezing our a$$es off. It reminded me of my day with Lissa at Pebble Beach, only even colder and with rain to boot. lol

FINALLY, they opened the doors and let us weary souls inside. Our pains had gotten us second row, and I had the pleasure of getting a big grin from Lindsey when I waved my arms and danced a bit to Holiday Road. It was a fun night, and for the encore, he did Bleed to Love Her instead of Bwana. We were all so excited that he was changing things up, doing different songs for encores every night (at least he had been up to that point.) He was encouraging people to shout out requests for encores, and I shouted Soul Drifter, but to no avail, as I would discover later. Afterwards, we once again waited outside the venue, although honestly I was so cold and miserable by that time I really just wanted to go back to the hotel. But Bree had not yet gotten an autograph and my other two friends were also eager to say hello to Lindsey (not that I wasn't - I was just so cold!) However, since he had to make a flight, our hour in the cold was rewarded with him scooting past us into his limo, although he did sign the CD of one girl through the window before the limo sped off.

Then it was time to take Bree to the bus station downtown, and I discovered that Detroit can be a very scary place if you don't know where the hell you are and you are driving around downtown past midnight. Stopping at a gas station to ask for directions was not too wise as three cars full of "urban youths" pulled in to the same station and I realized we had better just get out of there ASAP! We made it back to Mt. Clemens in one piece after only an hour of driving around confusedly.

After a day off, we headed for Chicago - minus Bree, who was taking the bus, and with the addition of another friend. Thank goodness, the weather was much better - still chilly, but sunny. The Chicago shows were also general admission, and we were gonna get there EARLY. 1:30, to be precise, six hours before the doors opened. We were prepared this time, though. We had warm coats, lawn chairs, food, drinks, a picnic blanket (Actually it was a Saudi Arabian pilgrimage towel my mom had given me but good enough). We had a jam box playing Lindsey songs, magazines, cards, crossword puzzles. We were good to GO! But we didn't wind up needing most of the entertainment, as we chatted with other hardcores who had arrived shortly after we did. Lindsey has not toured since 1992, and his hardcores were not about to miss the opportunity to get as good a seat as possible.

Us in the front of the line (I took the photo):

At 4:30, we were thrilled to see the man himself get driven up with the band, I guess for sound check. He took one look at the line that had formed, laughed and smiled, then hurried past us to get inside. Well, at least, that's what I heard. I missed his entrance because I was fiddling with the jam box. I made up for it later, though, as I shall detail!

Once we got in, we were able to get front row. The set up was lame, though. The venue was Park West and it has tables, which can make standing and dancing pretty awkward, as can the waitresses always moving in and out asking if you want drinks. It was still a good show, though, and we had a great time. Lindsey consistently delivers with that magnificent guitar playing. He came and did I'm So Afraid right in front of us, and I was completely blown away. It really is amazing how expressive his playing is!

By this time, we had hooked up with a girl named Pattie who was the hardest of hardcores. She has gone all over the country to see Lindsey Buckingham, has been a fan for decades, and is still one of the first in line for shows. She also has an uncanny ability to find out where Lindsey is staying and has met him tons of times that way. We waited for Lindsey outside the venue afterwards, and my friends got to say hi (I hung back - I figured - I have my CD signed - what more can I get?) Through a friend of the keyboardist's, we had discovered that Lindsey was staying at the Hyatt. We all headed over there to see if he would come down to the bar, as he has been known to do in the past. We knew his keyboardist would be there, at least. His keyboardist is a kind of sleazy guy who, while in his fifties, still hits on girls in their twenties and tries to use his position as Lindsey's band member to score. Sadly, it apparently worked that night, as I saw him cuddling with a young blonde girl I had sat nearby in the audience. And no, they were not previously acquainted!

At the bar, I headed to the bathroom, then came back out to discover Lindsey talking to my friends! I hurried over and joined the conversation when the opportunity arose - he asked if there was anything we'd like to hear, and I piped up "Soul Drifter!" When he made a face I quickly added, "But... you don't seem too receptive to that, so... how about Down on Rodeo or Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind?" He laughed and said that was possible. Then, he did something that amazed and stunned us all. He leaned over and kissed Pattie on the lips! Lightly, but still. He thanked her for coming to so many shows, joked that she must have a very cool job or be independently wealthy, etc. She just stared, unable to respond. He laughed again and said "A woman of mystery... why doesn't someone else tell me something about her?" One of my friends volunteered that Pattie worked at a credit union. He teased her for a bit more, kissed her on the lips again, then turned to leave - but before he did, he took a strand of her hair in his fingers and said "Such lovely hair." Then he left. I joked "How many shows do I have to go to before I get that treatment? Just give me a number!" Not sure he heard me, but it made everyone else laugh. Now, don't get me wrong. Lindsey was not trying to get Pattie into bed. She's not some young blonde girl. She's an average-looking 40-ish woman. Lindsey just knew how much it would mean to her for him to kiss her and he did so, which I thought was amazingly cool. It didn't hurt that he seemed rather buzzed with either alcohol or pot, lol, but the whole thing was a surreal experience.

The next performance at Chicago, we once again got there early, once again were first, and got primo seats. (This time, before the show, I was able to see Lindsey come in for soundcheck!) He didn't change the setlist to include Down on Rodeo as we'd hoped - indeed, he didn't change the setlist at all from the night before, which both surprised and disappointed us as it had been his previous practice and this would be our last show. Regardless, it was a terrific evening, and Lindsey was much more playful and interactive with the crowd than usual. Perhaps it's because it was such an intimate venue, but people were yelling stuff, and he was talking back to them, and just being all-around genial. It reminded me of Glenn in the San Diego bootleg, although not so much at his recent solo gigs!

We once again waited outside the venue and went to the hotel (although I admit I thought that was a bad idea - too stalkery! But my ride was determined!) He wasn't there though. Disgusted with the whole situation, I went downstairs and chatted with a couple friends while the rest of my friends remained upstairs at the bar, wanting to talk to Brett the keyboardist. They told me later he kissed two of them and invited them to come around anytime. They were happy about it but it made me a little uncomfortable, to be frank. The man has a girlfriend; she's a very sweet girl I've been acquainted with for a long time. None of my business, I guess.

Overall, a fabulous experience, even if I did have a seizure on the way home and wound up in the hospital briefly. I guess Lindsey Buckingham is too much for a girl to handle. (And, I happened to forget my meds, lol.)

And that's how I've spent my week!

~

Default Re: My Lindsey Buckingham Groupie Tour

Wow, Nancy, your week sounded great. It is so exciting that you got to meet Lindsey and hang out with him, and for him to actually kiss Pattie--I know she must've really been surprised. The smaller venues really allow you to see the artists better. It sounds like he was in top form!

Those smaller venues really do allow for a cooler experience. These were about half the size of the ones Glenn played recently. Lindsey is just not as recognizable a name or face, despite the fact that he was a key member of one of the biggest groups of all-time. At the bar, he was able to walk through without being mobbed - well, except for we six girls, but even then, we didn't really mob him. He recognized us from the front row and said hello (or so I am told, I missed the initial meeting because I was in the bathroom! ). So cool!

~

Also - forgot to add that the girl who requested Bwana runs a website for him. She is only 18 but such a fan! He actually hugged her from the stage. The members of the Mac are extremely cool about fansites. They have never once asked any fansites to take down anything. John McVie has even done a Q&A with the largest one, The Penguin. Both Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham's official sites are converted fansites. Their attitude towards fansites is extremely rare, especially for bands of the pre-internet generation. Gotta love it.

~

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow Nanc - what a week and another great experience! It's amazing how approachable Lindsey is. Sounds like you and your hard core Mac fans had a great time. Sorry to hear about your unplanned trip to the ER. Between you and Lissa, I'm beginning to think 70's rock stars may be hazardous to your health.

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

Stuck on the Border

That's great, Nancy. Sounds wonderful. Congratulations on meeting Lindsey.

Just had a chance to catch up with this. What a great star Lindsey is, to interact with his fans like that. Pattie must have been stunned! Good to hear that his guitar playing is good as ever.

~~~

This way to happiness...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Lindsey Buckingham and Little Big Town

Evidently Lindsey has been busy doing a Crossroads show for CMT! Here's a link to more about it.

www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/cmt...sode.jhtml

I just saw a World Premiere video of them together doing "Go Your Own Way" on CMT!

More Lindsey is always good!

~~~

"You know, people don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time."

Default Re: Lindsey Buckingham and Little Big Town

So cool!!!!! He is so brilliant! :: feeling the Lindsey love ::

~

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Lindsey Buckingham and Little Big Town

Don't forget Lindsey tomorrow night on CMT at 9 ET!

~~~

"You know, people don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time."