Page 29 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Lindsey Buckingham

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Lindsey Buckingham

I agree that Lindsey overproduces. One of my pet peeves with him as a solo artist is his overuse (imo) over electronic instruments, particularly electronic drums. It really hinders his 80s albums and dates them.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I know, I'm not sure why he does that to his solo albums. He is brilliant when he produces FM. I've always wondered why he feels to layer his own work that much. His Soundstage DVD is one of my faves.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I've really not delved into any of the Fleetwood Mac members solo work, but I personally feel that the production style used on the Fleetwood Mac and Rumours albums was absolutely perfect for their music, and Lindsey was a big part of that. I really can't emphasise enough how well I think their sound on those records have aged. On Rumours alone, you have the gorgeous and pure acoustic sound of Songbird mixed together with the more lush Don't Stop and the darker, edgier feel of The Chain. I have to admit there's a couple of songs on Tusk that I think are a bit overproduced - mainly Brown Eyes, which I have to admit has always felt like 'overproduction to compensate for lesser material' to my ears, but it's not a serious issue and I feel that it doesn't affect any of the strongest tracks (Sara, I Know I'm Not Wrong, Think About Me etc.).

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

This is just speculation on my part, but Lindsey may consider the production as an important element of the music itself, not "just" in service to the song. He's an admirer of Brian Wilson, who admired Phil Spector, both of whose production credo could be "more is more" not "less is more."

Guys, forgive me, I much prefer the studio version of "Trouble" - the delicate, chiming guitar filigrees, the "ahhhhh" background vocals - it's heavenly.

You know, I had forgotten how much I liked this song. Just went to YouTube to hear the live version again, but couldn't resist playing the recorded version, as well.
    I'm not a musician, so I only know what I like, and --guess what?--I really like them both! But if I had to choose just one, I think I'd go with the studio version for the same reasons that NMB stated. Lovely.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I like them both as well. I think that I may like the studio version a bit more.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

This is an old (2011) but I thought very interesting appreciation of what the author calls Lindsey's "fearful genius". The photo they use is not of Mr. B. but rather Bill Hader's characterization of him on SNL's "What's Up With That" skit:

http://www.mbird.com/2011/09/i-walk-...ey-buckingham/

P.S. I've never heard of the Young Life thing where Stevie met Lindsey; apparently it's a Christian ministry outreach: https://christianagnostic.wordpress....g-life-a-cult/

OK, I promise I'll stop after this but I found an interview (from 2011 again, cringe) that I find really interesting - and it puts the lie to the previous blogger's assertion that Lindsey isn't really a "lyrics guy." He talks a great deal about his lyrics here and it's very thought provoking indeed:
    https://cinematicpassions.wordpress....ey-buckingham/

I love reading about LB. Thanks for the links!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

the most beautiful blue eyes in rock and roll.

and my 3rd husband. he just doesn't know it yet.