Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Lindsey Buckingham

Appreciate the updated info, NMB.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    J.S. Ondara got a very good response from the audience. Weirdly, he did not play "American Dream," which I presume is his best-known song. His set could have benefited from a more upbeat number, as the songs he played were all slow and sad and concerning relationship troubles. Overheard in the ladies' room: "He's very talented but he needs a nicer girlfriend."
    LOL!

I've never heard of J.S. Ondara. I'll have to listen to a couple songs before my concert so I don't come off as completely clueless.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

The show I attended was only about 2/3 full at most. As a result, many folks got a seat upgrade. It wasn’t a large theater. I attended an Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman (ex-Yes members) show there one year ago and it was almost sold out.

However, the audience made up in volume for whatever it lacked in size and Lindsey seemed genuinely grateful for the support. He doesn’t look or sound like a 70-year old man on the verge of retiring. He spoke of his intention for another album and another tour.

Thanks for the info, NMB. Of course, I wish Lindsey well whatever his future brings.

Thanks NMB I really hope I get a chance to see Lindsey in concert. I do believe I would enjoy it very much and it's good to know he is looking toward the future with enthusiasm and thinking about a new album.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

So, I went to Birmingham on Tuesday, and it was amazing!

I went with an Australian friend of mine who had flown into the country especially for this show and to meet Lindsey (although while here, he is also doing some sightseeing). We lined up for the meet'n'greet beforehand and had our photos taken with Lindsey as well as saying a few words. I told Lindsey how much I loved "Soul Drifter;" my friend told him how much he loved "Down on Rodeo." We got to hear both that night (the latter has since been dropped). He told me "Soul Drifter" has taken on a whole new meaning for him now. I said "I can imagine!"

I was FRONT ROW CENTER - best seat in the house!

And what a house it was - the gorgeous Lyric Theatre has great acoustics. The only drawbacks were a huge gap between the front row and the stage, and security with stern faces that discouraged people from going up to the stage until at the encore, when I just went for it lol.

Lindsey was strong vocally and energetic. He was having a good night.

It was so great to hear songs that I never thought I would hear live - so many tunes from his 1992 album Out of the Cradle and then there are the tracks from 1985's Go Insane as well. Of special note: Although I love the intensity of the acoustic "Go Insane" he has been doing for 20 years now, hearing the live version with effects rocked and brought a different kind of energy which was really cool. Of course, my favorite "Soul Drifter" was wonderful and went by all too quickly. Also, I liked the way he incorporated the slower instrumental coda of "Slow Dancing" into the live version.

The only moments I wasn't really into: I've never enjoyed the repetitive "I Must Go" and the live version doesn't enchant me any more than the original. Also, the "silence of stone" bridge of "Surrender the Rain" was quite obviously not him actually singing. He needs to either drop it down an octave so he can sing it himself or make that recording sound more natural. It was jarring and took me out of the moment of a lovely song. Otherwise, I was happy as can be with the show.

Finally, I really like that he ends on "Treason." Not only is it a beautiful song, but it also just works so well thematically. I was looking up at his face and singing along with "At the end of the season, we will rise from this treason," and I couldn't help but think how true it was for Lindsey. More power to him.

There was one extraordinary moment that I'm going to single out, though, because it was something unique to Birmingham and it took everyone by surprise.

About midway through the set, Lindsey paused to take a moment to give a special thank you to Birmingham, Alabama. Somebody recorded it, so I'll just write what he said: "Back when Stevie and I were struggling in Los Angeles, there were a few pockets around the country before we joined Fleetwood Mac where that album [1973's Buckingham Nicks] had somehow made sense and had gotten airplay, and there was this huge disconnect between the kind of struggle that we had going in LA and being able to come to a town like this and play for a good sized crowd. It's always been intriguing to wonder what would have happened if we'd had made a different choice. And there are people here who saw Stevie and me back then, and that's great. Things are so circular. Having all of those people is a great thing. But really, having all of you here to support, and witness, tonight because it has been a surprising year and we are making a new start." But I could see he was starting to get emotional as he thanked us for coming and backed away from the microphone a few paces, and I wondered why.... and then he said it.

"So maybe I'll dedicate this next one to Stevie."

I heard some gasps of surprise; I heard some chortles and harsh "yeahs" from people who assumed he was going to sing some snarky song like "Wrong" or defiant song like "Never Going Back Again."

But he sang "Shut Us Down" - a song which is none of those things. A song which is so much more.

For those unfamiliar with the lyrics, they start out...

"You and I, we sure can dream..."

And on that line, for just a brief moment, he got a little choked up.

It just about broke my freaking heart.

Everyone fell silent as he ripped his heart open for the song. He got himself under control for the remainder of it, but oh my gosh. As someone who was into Buckingham Nicks and has mourned the loss of that as much as the loss of Fleetwood Mac, I was getting choked up, too.

Oh you and I we sure can dream
    Of conversations that might have been

I know that I treat you unkind
    And long ago I lost my mind

And even after all these years
    I can't even see you clear

I know that you must lie sometimes
    To hide the truth you're trying to find

Oh I won't shut us down
    No I will stay around
    As long as I can
    As long as I can

Even after all these years
    I can't even see you clear

A child is born another dies
    And every life has its price

Oh I won't shut us down
    No I will stay around
    As long as I can
    As long as I can
    As long as I can
    As long as I can
    As long as I can

After the song, as the notes died, it seemed the air was vibrating with the emotional power of it. You couldn't help but feel it - his vulnerability, his passion, his frustration, his confusion, his grief, his regret, his longing, his defiance... everything. He got a standing ovation. It was the first of the night, but not the last.

I'll never hear that song the same way again.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Oh wow Nancy!! What an unbelievable night! I don't know what else to say. To witness that? Wow!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Sounds like you had an incredible night, Soda! Thanks for telling us all about it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Soda - Thank You for the wonderful review. It sounds like Lindsey put on a great show. I will have to check it out to see if/when he comes in my neck of the woods.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 11-21-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Awesome review Soda and I'm so glad you enjoyed the show. I wish Lindsey nothing but the best.