Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Favorite moments from Farewell Tour 1 DVD

Default Re: Favorite moments from Farewell Tour 1 DVD

I missed it when it was broadcast but entered the fandom soon after. Love Farewell 1!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    We have several threads with various discussions about the Farewell I DVD, but I don't see one about the actual TV special that aired, so I figured this thread was as good as any to bring this up. For those of you who may not be aware, prior to the release of the Farewell I DVD, an edited-down abbreviated version of the concert was aired on television, which was a very exciting preview for hardcore Eagles fans at the time. The reason I bring this up is because I wanted to acknowledge that on this date in 2006, the TV special won an Emmy award for Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Variety or Music Series or Special or Animation (Elliot Scheiner and Sue Pelino).

I knew it was a special on nbc,,,,I watched it and LOVED it......I think I was the first in line at the store to purchase it when it came out
    tt

Cool. I didn't know that. I didn't know it was a tv special.

I really enjoyed the DVD. I bought the DVD a few weeks ago along with Hell Freezes Over. They looked so sharp in their suits.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - At the time it aired, it was very exciting. It was pretty much the same anticipation as waiting for the HOTE to be aired on Showtime. But, as Soda mentioned, it was in the spring before she opened this board (or rather its predecessor, Flip City).

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I didn't know until recently that it had been a TV special, but the DVD really got me more interested in the Eagles (especially Mr Frey) & in doing some research to find out more about them. I had always loved their music, but didn't know that much about them other than that. That research led me to The Border. Am I ever glad that it did!

Stuck on the Border

My favourite moments on the DVD: Glenn laughing hysterically at all the silly stuff in Life's Been Good.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I love the interplay between Joe and Glenn in LBG too, but then again, I love the entire F1 concert. I remember what a good time we had with this thread when the DVD was released. I'm going to try to go back and reread some of it when I get a chance. Fun stuff! It'd be fun to hear some thoughts about the DVD from some of our members who weren't around at the time.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

My favorite part of the DVD or one of my favorites. When Joe was doing the guitar solo before the third verse(I think it was third verse) on Dirty Laundry, everybody started jumping. They were having too much fun with that song. Also Joe's helmet cam. That was too funny. He has a ball with Life's Been Good.

Also the ending as they were rolling the credits. The interview while the credits were rolling Joe and Glenn joking around. I Can't Remember Why. I forgot what else they change the words in the title. Then Don looking at his guitar asking if that's his guitar. Then Joe turned around and asked the same thing.

Border Troubadour

Some personal comments (mostly good!):
    The Long Run - when Don puts his hand around Joe who in turn stares on totally bewildered (I think it's the 'couldn't hold a candle to you' line)

Boys of Summer - sublime cover, I think probably the best performance on the DVD. Always thinks it looks a bit odd though in the outro when Don goes and stands next to Steuart but the latter either doesn't see him, it makes Henley look a bit awkward

Already Gone - God I love this song. Delivered with so much power and energy and shows that there's more to Frey's guitar work than a few basic chords

Silent Spring - Gorgeous piece of music: bit of an odd inclusion but cracking nonetheless. Anyone have any YT links to the full track (obviously by a different musician)?

Hole in the World - Very poignant. Weird seeing Joe minus an instrument (I don't think I've ever seen him on stage without one) but a wonderful, deep song, you could hear in Henley's voice when he introduced it how much it meant. Also lovely to see the Mighty Horns providing what looked like humming in the brief shot of them

Life's Been Good - Helmet Cam. 'nuff said. Also love Glenn's reaction to what Walsh sings and the way they shuffle about at the start

Dirty Laundry - when all five of them jump up and down during Walsh's solo

ASWTDID - I'll be honest, my least favourite song on the DVD (and that's saying something when in there with Long Run songs ) but Glenn's horrendous dancing like he's doused himself in hydrochloric acid by accident provides some value

'Silent Spring' is on Glenn's Strange Weather album. It's only a short piece of music, listed as an "Instrumental Prelude". It's only 40 seconds long so you hear the whole song on F1.

I couldn't find it on YouTube, but you cold probably get it on iTunes as they have most, if not all of Glenn's solo albums