Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thing you do NOT like about the Eagles?

Default Thing you do NOT like about the Eagles?

Could be anything - something about the band, or an individual.. If I had to pick one, it would be how certain members to the mass audience are perceived, such as Don Felder, Bernie Leadon, and Randy Meisner.

I also think Joe Walsh got more fans because of things outside of music. I can't stand his voice (not bad on "Pretty Maids..."), and never cared for his guitar playing with the Eagles (or solo, or James Gang)..

Maybe I'll think of more later - looking forward to reading stuff from knowledgeable fans

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Thing you do NOT like about the Eagles?

I'm not too enamoured to Felder as a result of what has happened in the years since his dismissal. Of the band more generally, the fact they never released more live performances is an astronomical shortcoming IMO, and some of the percussion on LROOE sounds awful (e.g. Hole in the World).

I cannot believe you dislike JW's input! Even those who abhor the Eagles (and naturally Glenn and Don H.) love Joe! I do think he pandered to the whole Clown Prince label a touch but he never stopped being a superb musician: the fact that he co-wrote and sang the most delicate and heartfelt song on HC when his introduction was heralded as the turning it up to 11 says a lot: despite how much of the lifestyle he epitomised, he was still incredibly proficient at his day job. Some of his work with the James Gang and Barnstorm is absolutely wonderful, and his bond with Felder was pivotal in how well the Eagles did for the second half of the Seventies.

That Glenn is gone and they are no longer together

Mostly the whole Felder thing, possibly could have been resolved in '80, took a break and came back then. But at least we had them a long time since.

I HATE that they are over forever, and that Glenn is gone. This double loss will make me sad forever.

Stuck on the Border

That they didn't stay young forever.

The Disco Strangler.

That the song Hotel California gets too much credit for their success. The breakthrough was Best of My Love, two years earlier. That reached #1, spent just as long in the charts, is on the GH1 album and was followed by #1 singles and albums.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

That they don't release any archival material! What a tragedy. Yes, I said tragedy! It's way beyond "major bummer."

If only they were more like Fleetwood Mac, who have been so cool about releasing demo recordings, songs that didn't make the albums, alternate takes, etc.

Stuck on the Border

I have a few things I disliked about the band but I will try & keep it brief.

First & foremost is the relatively small size of their recorded output. No archival material as NMB said & worst, only one album after their reformation. The over-reliance on touring after the reunion basically meant that they barely attempted to pretend they were recording artists or songwriters as a group.

There was a reason why they coudn't get into the studio before 2001; Felder's complaints. This should have been dealt with much sooner. Who knows what would have happened? There was this gap between 1995 & 2001 when although they were back together, they did nothing because of Felder's demands. I find that sad & frustrating.

Only two live DVDs. There is even less excuse for this than there is for not releasing more albums. That they didn't put out a DVD for the LROOE tour is a huge mark against them. And quite frankly, HOTE is not a satisfactory alternative, in my view. After Glenn died I half expected that they would announce some sort of release; they didn't. Which leads me to...

Their failure to move with the times & embrace the web, social media & the reality that people wanted personal souvenirs of their shows. Their website & Facebook pages were used for announcing shows & linking to their merchandise site.

I do tend to agree with MSF that towards the end the shows had become vehicles for Joe. The Australian shows in 2015 were that way. I think they allowed his personality to become too dominant live.

Going back to the 70s of course, my main objection is the ever decreasing number of Glenn's lead vocals. Tragedy? Yes, in my view. It was one reason why he didn't get the recognition he deserved.

My own opinons on their music have changed, and I don't hold them in the same regard as I did, but that is my problem, not the band's.

"There was a reason why they coudn't get into the studio before 2001; Felder's complaints. This should have been dealt with much sooner. Who knows what would have happened? There was this gap between 1995 & 2001 when although they were back together, they did nothing because of Felder's demands. I find that sad & frustrating."
    I'm not so sure that is the reason they didn't record during this time. I mean they did a lot of touring during the 90's & then just kept going, I mean they did a full world tour & they take a month or 2 break in between legs. They were making a mint on the HFO tour so it lasted a really long time

I think they were just relying on their old hits & the single solo stuff & didn't really even have the time to do a new album... Also Henley is such a perfectionist & was probably very picky about what would be on a new album.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I'm not so sure that is the reason they didn't record during this time. I mean they did a lot of touring during the 90's & then just kept going, I mean they did a full world tour & they take a month or 2 break in between legs. They were making a mint on the HFO tour so it lasted a really long time

I think they were just relying on their old hits & the single solo stuff & didn't really even have the time to do a new album... Also Henley is such a perfectionist & was probably very picky about what would be on a new album.
    I used the years from 1996* - 2001 for a reason. They did not tour during those years.

* They were in Australia at the end of 1995 when I saw them. They may have done a few shows in 1996. Then they did not tour again until 2001 when Felder was fired. The only shows they played prior to his firing as far as I know were the Millennium shows at the end of 1999. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Regardless, it is an indictment of them that they only managed to release one album in all those years, including the post-Felder years.

Well.... perhaps they were taking a well deserved break from touring. No band can continuously tour. It must be grueling to just keep going .They were just coming off a very looong tour.

Also maybe they wanted to add some new material. They must have started working on LROOE at the writing stages at least.

Also, If they were going to fire Don Felder, they needed to replace him, so I would imagine they were considering who that might be??? I never heard of Stuart Smith, so I would imagine they were considering any number of guitar players for the job. It's all speculation and at this point, what does it really matter????