Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Barren Years Post HFO Years

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: The Barren Years Post HFO Years

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Some time ago, I came across a late-90s interview of Don Henley. He was asked about the Eagles' plans and his response was something along the lines of "Glenn prefers to spend time sailing rather than in the studio." Not one word was said about Don Felder. I wish I had saved the link b/c now I can't find the article.
    It was probably this, from Marc Eliot,
    I remember one night in the summer of 1997 talking with Henley over drinks at the Formosa in West Hollywood. I was writing my biography of the Eagles, and I asked Henley what he thought the essential difference was between him and Frey.
    "If I had my way, we'd be out every night of the week playing somewhere," Henley said. "Glenn just wants to ride around the Mediterranean all day on his boat." Yeah, I thought to myself, maybe Frey was on to something. Maybe he knew when to walk away. Maybe he understood that adolescence can only take you so far, and it was time to check out of the Hotel California.
    And maybe he understood it was that sense of "now" that pushed him to create the great Eagles music he did with Henley, and singing about living it up at the Hotel California, had become "then."
    http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/19/op...rey/index.html

Yes, that line about the Mediterranean sounds right. However, I'm pretty sure in the interview I read, Henley was specifically answering a question about why the band wasn't doing anything at that point. It wasn't a retrospective type of article. At least, not to my recollection.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'm not sure either. They always claim that they throw away everything they don't use, but there is stuff floating around that puts the lie to that. I know that Tim has put rejected songs on his solo projects. I imagine Don and Joe would have done the same. Glenn never did an album of contemporary music, so anything he wrote that wasn't used with the Eagles would be in his effects somewhere. Wouldn't it be a treasure if some of those got released as special tracks or something...
    Oh that would be amazing!!! Maybe do a massive box set in a few years. All 7 Studio Albums, Eagles Live, HFO, The Millennium Concert (in full), Farewell 1 CD, an an album of rare, unreleased stuff.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Yes, that line about the Mediterranean sounds right. However, I'm pretty sure in the interview I read, Henley was specifically answering a question about why the band wasn't doing anything at that point. It wasn't a retrospective type of article. At least, not to my recollection.
    I'm sure he probably used that line quite often, as it really does demonstrate a difference between their personalities.

Do you think we'll see that personality difference show up now that Don is at the wheel alone?

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I'm sure he probably used that line quite often, as it really does demonstrate a difference between their personalities.

Do you think we'll see that personality difference show up now that Don is at the wheel alone?
    Indeed. It's why I'm sure that if we'd lost a member while Glenn was still alive, the Eagles would have stopped. He just wasn't as into pushing the Eagles onward, no matter what. Ever since he walked away in 1980, his attitude towards the Eagles was "take it or leave it." He wasn't thinking his music would die if they weren't performing it constantly. He was "Eh, let's go sailing." That's why I have a hard time believing his last wish was that the Eagles must continue without him. He was already talking of winding the Eagles down after HOTE.

I remember reading somewhere that Don had said that the yearly Eagles meeting in January (they'd done this regularly in the later years) was called to basically ask Glenn if the Eagles were going to continue another year. While he was alive, whether or not the Eagles existed was up to Glenn. Now, it's up to Don. That's undoubtedly going to affect how things are done - it already has.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    it's very Eagleish, and could certainly fit on an early 70s Eagles album.. That would also explain the TBS writing credit. Stan Lynch is credited too. I wonder if he made changes to the song long after it was initially written.
    Yes, I would think that would be the case with Stan Lynch's name on it. I wonder if it was first written for LROOE, or if it was even earlier than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I have to say you DO get tired of someone bringing up something constantly and finally, if they don't stop, it gets to you. I'm sure there was more to it, but......
    Hence my comment about going on about it incessantly. I agree.

Stuck on the Border

I think, as others have said, there were numerous reasons why they did very little after HFO. Taylor and Deacon started school, Don & Joe were having their kids and then there were the problems with Don F. JMHO, but from reading his book, it leads me to believe he was continuously bitching about about the pay/contract. Don F. makes a comment about his wife telling him to let it go and he states he refused to do so. Also, there was the relationship between Don and Glenn, which ran from hot to cold.

I think after spending nine years(71-80) being consumed by the Eagles 24/7, Glenn realized there was more in life. In fact, I remember reading an article years ago where he stated he was so consumed back then that he rarely took a vacation or had a personal life due to their non-stop touring and months and months of recording new albums. He indicated he felt he had not grown or experienced life like most young people in there 20's because his life consisted of hotels, concert gigs, air planes and "yes" people.
    I think at that point Glenn was very happily married, loved being a Dad and wanted to spend as much time as possible with his family as he learned at a young age you can't get that time back again.

Stuck on the Border

A common thread in the stories of problems recording from 1990 to 2000 seems to be compaints about Henleys time-keeping. Recently, Henley has mentioned being nocturnal whereas after cleaning up, Glenn appears to have become a get up early and go to bed early person. That would have made it difficult for the band to have enough time in the day that they were both happy.

- In a 1992/93 interview, Glenn talked about how in 1990, he and Don were unsuccessful in their attempts to write together, in part because Don was still "living the Hollywood lifestyle" and Glenn wasn't.

- Felder wrote about tension for the Travis Tritt video when Henley was 45 minutes late arriving.

- David Spero talked about the charity show in Aspen in early 1994 where Henley asked about joining. Henley was told when sound check would start and that the door would be locked after that i.e. be on time or miss out.

- Felder wrote about the attempts to record in 1999 and mentions that they spent a lot of time waiting for Henley to turn up and that when he eventually did, he spent a lot of time on the phone. This annoyed Glenn (and my guess everyone else, too).

- we learned that much of LROOE was recorded separately in different studios, so possibly this allowed them to work at a time that suited the individuals.

Felder also wrote about "childish" behaviour from both Henley and Frey about whose studio and which mix to use.

Of course, none of this explains why firing Felder was a solution. Perhaps he complained about a lot of things - that part of his book has a lot of grumbling.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Indeed. It's why I'm sure that if we'd lost a member while Glenn was still alive, the Eagles would have stopped. He just wasn't as into pushing the Eagles onward, no matter what. Ever since he walked away in 1980, his attitude towards the Eagles was "take it or leave it." He wasn't thinking his music would die if they weren't performing it constantly. He was "Eh, let's go sailing." That's why I have a hard time believing his last wish was that the Eagles must continue without him. He was already talking of winding the Eagles down after HOTE.

I remember reading somewhere that Don had said that the yearly Eagles meeting in January (they'd done this regularly in the later years) was called to basically ask Glenn if the Eagles were going to continue another year. While he was alive, whether or not the Eagles existed was up to Glenn. Now, it's up to Don. That's undoubtedly going to affect how things are done - it already has.
    No, now it is up to Don and Cindy Frey, who owns the other half the Eagles; and evidently Joe, Timothy, and Deacon were also on board. It's true that Glenn probably would not have wanted to continue, and I agree that it's hard to believe it was his last wish that the band continue without him. However, I also have a hard time thinking that if there is a heaven, and he's looking down at this, that he would be frowning at it. Of course, none of us knows how he would feel; we can only guess.

Still, I have a bit of a hard time with everyone saying it was Don's decision to go on. (Or alternatively, Don's and Irving's.) It was the decision of Don, the Frey family, Joe, Timothy, Deacon, and of course, Irving. But Don and Cindy's votes would have been the deciding ones.