Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which song has really grown on you the more you hear it?

Default Which song has really grown on you the more you hear it?

For me it is Center of the Universe. Today, as I was listening to it, I felt like it was the very first time that I had really listened to it. I found myself listening more intently and wondering why I hadn't really paid much attention to it these past few days. With many of the other songs, I just loved them immediately. The others have definitely grown on me, but Center of the Universe is the one that I just can't get enough of today. It's like I got a belated Christmas gift today when I "discovered" this gem. I was driving around quite a bit today and found myself repeating this one over and over again. It's so melancholy...my heart actually feels like it's constricting when I listen to it.

Did any of you have a similar experience where one particular song all of sudden seemed more significant after you had a chance to listen to the CD over and over again?
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

Yes! I have found almost all of the songs that I didn't initially like have grown on me. The one that grew on me the most dramatically was Somebody, which at first I had an adverse reaction to, but now think is terrific.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I would have to say Last Good Time In Town followed by Business As Usual.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I would say for me its 'Waiting in the Weeds'. Initially, while I liked the harmonies in it, it didn't have the same immediate impact that some of the other songs (WDIDWMH, IYWN, YANA) had. However the more I listen to it (and I mean really LISTEN to it rather than just 'hearing' it) the more I realise how unique and ingenious the lyrics actually are.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I would have to say Last Good Time In Town followed by Business As Usual.
    Exactly the same for me, FP.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

For me it's definitely "Frail Grasp On The Big Picture" and "I Don't Want To Hear Anymore".

When I first heard FGOTBP, I didn't take to Don's vocal delivery in the verses immediately, as I thought it wasn't musical enough, and some of the lyrics didn't appeal to me. However, the more I listened to it, the more I enjoyed the wonderful instrumentation: the driving beat, the rip-roaring guitar solos (that remind me of those in "Get Over It" - not the melody lines, but the overdrive used and the sheer passion of the playing) and Don's message in the song. I know from reading the opinions in this song's thread, that his lyrics have caused quite an uproar, but I feel I understand the message that he's trying to convey, and don't believe he is malicious. I enjoy his humour in the verse about the "love drunk friend".

I liked IDWTHA when I first heard it, but it didn't hit me as hard as the other love songs like "What Do I Do With My Heart", "Waiting In The Weeds", "No More Cloudy Days", "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance" and "It's Your World Now". I really love it now - I find Timmy's voice especially beautiful when he showcases his gentle vibrato.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    For me it's definitely "Frail Grasp On The Big Picture" and "I Don't Want To Hear Anymore".

I liked IDWTHA when I first heard it, but it didn't hit me as hard as the other love songs like "What Do I Do With My Heart", "Waiting In The Weeds", "No More Cloudy Days", "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance" and "It's Your World Now". I really love it now - I find Timmy's voice especially beautiful when he showcases his gentle vibrato.
    I loved Frail Grasp from first listen--it is quintessential Don--but I agree with you on IDWIHA. That is the main song that has really grown on me over the last few months. It really does showcase Timmy's voice well--it is a perfect song for him.

I liked I Don't Want to Hear Any More from the start... something about the intro catches my fancy.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

I would have to say 'What Do I Do With My Heart' - It didn't grab me at first but now I'm absolutely loving it. Glenn's voice is really winning me over. Dare I say it - I could become a Glenn fan Yep, Glenn could be pushing Joe out of his number two slot on my 'fanometer' (sorry Glenn only Tim can be in my number one slot).

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

My fanometer goes Glenn , Glenn , Glenn , Glenn

No, seriously, it goes Glenn Tim, Joe, Don. The last 3 can interchange but Glenn is always my no 1!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP