Thread: Copyright infringement - help

Default Copyright infringement - help

So, my Facebook account was disabled and I got a notice about copyright infringement for a video that I had uploaded from YouTube, the Eagles – tequila sunrise. It also said that I was warned but I never received such a morning unless it went to my junk mail. it is also saying I have to contact the third-party but they didn't even list who the third-party was and I have absolutely no idea what to do about this! I have emailed them back but of course it's 3 AM in the morning, so it might be several hours before I hear back, even if I do hear back. I uploaded a personal video once of me riding in the car and the radio was playing and apparently whatever song was playing had a copyright infringement or whatever and Facebook simply disabled the video and not my entire freaking Facebook account. Has anyone else had this happen or are you familiar with the process? Of course I have absolutely no problem and taking it down and that video has been up about five years! And of course if I had actually seen any warning I would have just taken down. I have so many videos uploaded I I don't have a clue what I have uploaded from that many years ago . If anyone can give me any insight I would appreciate it. Thank you! And if I posted this in the wrong place I am sorry.

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Copyright infringement - help

First check copyright law in your country.

I've had a youtube video returned after I made a case that it wasn't copyright infringement. However, I have a smattering of understanding of copyright law and I'm in the UK.

In my case, I had a short excerpt from a movie associated with a critique of the movie. That is legal in the UK. Also, I was dealing only with Youtube, not Facebook.

In your case, if you were in the UK, I would argue that this is 'incidental inclusion' which is legal here. I.e. if you film something and music is playing in the background. Whether or not you can argue that depends on what the law is in the US. I've had a quick google, and I only found 'incidental inclusion' listed in the copyright law summaries on Wikipedia for the UK and New Zealand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing It may be legal in the US under a different name.

It was a video that I had downloaded from YouTube many years ago and you know how they always take them down? But at some point I had uploaded it to Facebook simply because I liked it and I haven't given that video another thought in many years! I don't even care about disputing it and I'm willing to accept that it is a copyright infringement and I have no problem taking the video down. And, considering Facebook took another video down because the radio was playing in the background and that song was a copyright infringement I don't see why they couldn't have just taken this one down instead of disabling my entire account!! It's not as if I did anything detrimental I was simply a fan posting the videos that I like. Sheesh!

It's because it was your second infringement. The first was the car radio. It doesn't mean warn you about one video twice. It's a two strikes and you're out.

It SUCKS and I don't agree with it, but I think it is something that cannot be fixed and you will have to start a new account. Be sure to unlink Instagram if you have it from your old Facebook as sometimes when they do one they will do the other. Then with your new FB acct, link IG up to that.

Sorry.

Someone who posts here I saw she said on FB her cover video of Heartache Tonight got removed and a warning. If she were to get another infringement, she would also have her Facebook blocked.

So the fact you had a prior video removed means this was the last strike.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

That's fucking ridiculous! The other song wasn't even an eagle song and I have no idea what the song was on the radio was just playing in the car and we do hundreds of those videos while we are driving. How the hell am I supposed to know what music is not allowed and what is?!?!? This makes no sense!

And the first video that was removed was just me and my friend filming the mountains when we were driving in the car and I didn't get a warning they just sent me a notice saying they removed it because it violated copyrightS. We posted about five similar videos that same day and the rest of them had different songs playing in the background and out of them were removed so tell me how the heck am I supposed to know what songs are OK and what arent???

Quote Originally Posted by lizzyplays View Post
    That's fucking ridiculous! The other song wasn't even an eagle song and I have no idea what the song was on the radio was just playing in the car and we do hundreds of those videos while we are driving. How the hell am I supposed to know what music is not allowed and what is?!?!? This makes no sense!

It is very frustrating but I agree with WalshFan88. It does not matter if the first video was an Eagle's song. All music has a copyright on it. Sorry for your trouble. Sometimes FB is really unforgiving. I know pages that copy video's and assign their page logo to them and FB does nothing.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

It doesn't mean two strikes from the same copyright owner. It is any video twice. Could be a Cars video and a Eagles video, doesn't matter. Unfortunately it just takes two.

Sorry DJ is right.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."