Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup Band and Additional Musicians

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Backup Band and Additional Musicians

Gee Steph - that is very nice. I, of course, would never have noticed the tongue thing if you hadn't mentioned it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Gee Steph - that is very nice. I, of course, would never have noticed the tongue thing if you hadn't mentioned it.

You can stream a performance of Jonathan Clark's at 10 pm Eastern tomorrow (Feb. 12) here:

http://www.bandome.com/bandomemainstage!

He'll be doing three songs as a "friend of John Clinebell."

You have to become a "member" of the site, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Steuart Smith is a nice guitarist (not more than that) but he will NEVER be able to replace Don Felder in my humble opinion.

He was SO much better!!!

Not intending to be argumentative here Rene45nl, but I think Stu is a very underrated guitarist. He's been around a long time and has done studio work with a wide variety of artists. Joe Walsh crowned him as being one of the best studio guitarists he'd ever worked with. He can hear a song once and slip in and replicate it perfectly.

He has been granted writing credits on Long Road Out Of Eden so it his other talents are coming to the fore with Eagles.

AS for "Star Quality" compared with that of Don Felder, probably not. As a musician, he has his own nitch without having to be anyone else. He certainly fills the gap in the strings with Eagles now that Felder is no longer with them.

I try to form my opinion of Smith based on his performances and I have to say that I really do like what comes out of his amps. I think he had to know that he had an uphill struggle coming in behind Don Felder and it seems to me that he decided to just let his guitar do the talking...and it talks loudly and clearly. His techniques with pinch harmonics are not exceeded by anyone, including Billy Gibbons.

I personally think that Stu is a great addition to Eagles.

MikeA

I think Stu gets a bad rap because he's been instructed to duplicate Felder rather than do his own thing, and the duplicate is always going to be considered inferior to the original. I think both he and Felder are extremely talented.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I think Stu gets a bad rap because he's been instructed to duplicate Felder rather than do his own thing, and the duplicate is always going to be considered inferior to the original. I think both he and Felder are extremely talented.
    Wise words! I think you're right. Stu is also a great guitar player I think but I've seen about 15 concerts with Felder in the line-up and about 10 with Stu in the line-up and I think Felder put some more "feeling" and "heart" in the guitar parts than Stu does. But that's just my personal opinion, for what it's worth....

Besides, Stu is not "officially" an Eagle, or is he?

Whatever... I think I just yearning to those good old days...

Quote Originally Posted by Rene45nl View Post
    I think Felder put some more "feeling" and "heart" in the guitar parts than Stu does. But that's just my personal opinion, for what it's worth....

Besides, Stu is not "officially" an Eagle, or is he?
    Welcome Rene from one Joe fan to another!

Steuart is not an Eagle and as Soda mentioned he has been instructed to duplicate, not do his own thing. I'm sure that's why you don't see him put more "feeling and heart" into his parts. He's supposed to blend in - not stand out.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I think maybe things have gotten sorta blurred as to who is an Eagle and who isn't. Kinda in three segmented parts the Eagles are. But I find it hard NOT to consider them ALL Eagles.

Glenn and Don in one category as owners

Tim and Joe as #1 Sidekicks (in Joe's words..."Hired Guns")

Stu and the rest of the musicians whom the Eagles could not do without and still perform as they do.

BTW, I was a Joe Walsh "fan" before I was an Eagles follower.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

I agree. I think Stu does OK.

As it's been said, he & the rest of the supporting musicians are there to 'blend' in with the Eagles & 'support' them. In Steuart's case he is expected to replicate Don Felder.
    Some of the other support musicians can add their own touch as the original versions of the song didn't have all the instrumentation of the live versions we get to hear now. e.g. the horn section & two or three keyboard players.

Stu gets to 'play it his way' on the LROOE songs & I have no complaint about his playing on those!

It has recently been said(but I can't remember where I read it) that Stu should be replaced by Peter Thorn(who played for Don's November shows) as he's more exciting to watch. I disagree. Although I thought Peter was great in Don's band I just can't see him playing with the Eagles. Maybe it's because he's younger than the rest of the support musicians & a bit more of a Rock guitarist(he certainly moves about a bit on stage!).