Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: 1978 live concert at Huntington Beach

Out on the Border

Default Re: 1978 live concert at Huntington Beach

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Oh hey! The 8/14/2000 ceremony audio has turned up and about 4 minutes into it, the announcer is going, "Is Paul Asmus here? Anyone know Paul Asmus?" Donny you are mentioned too, naturally.

The audio is too long to post in my SoundCloud account, but Donny you know my Dropbox - it's in its own file, as only deserving.

Thank you Sweety.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Well, I'm a Florida gal and we prefer the flatlands. Heights make me a wee bit nervous. It's OK if someone else is driving, but if it's me my knuckles are white on the steering wheel.

I'd most like to see the Scottsbluff National Monument and the Oregon Trail Pathway. If Little Moon Supper Club (I got the name wrong in my previous post) is still around, I'll go and take a picture of where Randy got his start. And I want to try a runza! That's a must.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Well, I'm a Florida gal and we prefer the flatlands. Heights make me a wee bit nervous. It's OK if someone else is driving, but if it's me my knuckles are white on the steering wheel.

I'd most like to see the Scottsbluff National Monument and the Oregon Trail Pathway. If Little Moon Supper Club (I got the name wrong in my previous post) is still around, I'll go and take a picture of where Randy got his start. And I want to try a runza! That's a must.

The monument is kinda cool. I've climbed that many times in my youth.
    Runza's are the bomb ! Too bad you couldn't have been there in the 50's and 60's. There was a place called the Dash Inn that we all ate at. They had a sandwich called a "Wagon Wheel that was good too.

Donny

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by rockitboy View Post
    The monument is kinda cool. I've climbed that many times in my youth.
    Runza's are the bomb ! Too bad you couldn't have been there in the 50's and 60's. There was a place called the Dash Inn that we all ate at. They had a sandwich called a "Wagon Wheel that was good too.

Donny
    Little known fact... My other brother-in-law Ronny, had a band in the 50's
    also. Ronny and the Renegades. The first time my wife Vicki, ever played in public was at Little Moon. She played piano with them on a couple of songs one night when she was 6 years old.

Hi Night Mist,

I would say that Scottsbluff is a great place to be from.
    I live in Fort Collins, Colorado now. THIS is a beautiful place !!

Donny
    I've been to Fort Collins a few times. That really is a lovely area. Good for you.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by LuvTim View Post
    I've been to Fort Collins a few times. That really is a lovely area. Good for you.
    Fort Collins was a very good place for live music when we moved here.
    The people here are completely different than the people in Nebraska. People
    here are like Nebraska crowds used to be in the 60's and 70's. They love to dance and interact with the band. It was a lot of fun to play in this area.
    However, the venues are drying up for classic rock bands here. Seems like most places now want bands who do original music. We're not into that.
    Unless you're a really good writer and a really good performer, original music doesn't appeal to me. I'm not a writer and I've always said "I have the luxury of playing songs every night written by the best writers in the world.".
    What could be better than that ??!!

Banned

Hi,

I'm new to this bulletin board. My name is Donny Ullstrom and I recorded with Randy on his first solo album in January of 1978. I also toured with his band the following summer in support of that album. I see that there are links to one of our shows in August at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach.
    Thank you to whoever posted those links. I was actually not aware that anyone was recording audio that night.
    I have a treat for everyone ! I have a recording of the monitor mix from our last show with Randy. I believe it was Sept. 6th or 8th 1978 at the Universal Amphitheatre when it was still an open air venue. We opened for Bob Welch . Christine McVie and Mick Fleetwood were there to support him.
    I'm in the process of getting that recording into my computer. Would you like me to upload that file to this bulletin board ?

Donny
    Being an Eagles fan, I have developed extraordinary levels of patience. I'm used to waiting years for recordings. This has been lodged in my brain since Donny posted it in early March, What thrilling times they were! I'm still looking forward to hearing it.... a lot.

Has anybody heard Donny's recording yet? I wouldn't be surprised if he got bogged down in the digitizing process but I'd hate him to think that we've lost interest.

Yoo-hoo, Donny - you still here? Any progress on digitizing the Universal show? No pressure

I've had the same question.

Anyway, here's Donny performing "Best of My Love" at the '78 concert; the video was posted by Kelly Shanahan.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TpqhQuJd0HY[/ame]

p.s. He sounds awesome!

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Remember when we were trying to figure out who was playing the sax in Randy's 1978 band? I thought it may have been multi-instrumentalist Bray Ghiglia, but he told me (via Facebook) that it isn't. He said he played in the Randy Meisner - Rick Roberts Band from 1986 to 1991.