Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 1978 live concert at Huntington Beach

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: 1978 live concert at Huntington Beach

A lot of people are enjoying the sax. I wonder if it could have been David Sanborn?

I finally got to listen to TALA on YT and I agree with you Delilah, I love that it is in Randy's Eagles voice.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    A lot of people are enjoying the sax. I wonder if it could have been David Sanborn?
    I don't think it's Sanborn. It sounds like Randy is saying David "Flick" or "Flinch" and he appears to be giving credit for clarinet as well as sax. But it's hard to understand him at times b/c he speaks softly. Before IRWYHT, it's sounds like he's saying really fast, "This is one of my favorite songs" then he says clearly "I Really Want You."

After the band intro and before the tuning bit, he says something funny, b/c everybody laughs. I could swear he says something like "Tokyo last week" too.

BTW, the clarinet is heard on "Lonesome Cowgirl". At first I thought it might be a sax with a very alto tone, but now I'm sure it's clarinet.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Listening to the "new" track Summer Wind right now - I love it! Delilah did a great job of transcribing the lyrics.

BOML: to my feeble ears, I hear two voices - Randy and somebody else. I wonder if it could be Donny Ullstrom. Randy is singing a few verses but I think it's primarily the other guy singing and also I don't believe that was Randy speaking in the introduction??

Update: drummer Kelly Shanahan was kind enough to chat with me online for a bit. He said that is indeed Donny Ullstrom singing lead on BOML.
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 02-22-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Aww, that's so disappointing. Here I was thinking how great Randy sounded. Thanks for the update. I'm glad you cleared it up.

Randy does sound great! You can hear him on several verses - he's kind of trading back and forth with Donny. Randy's microphone level is not as loud as Donny's.

It must be the famously clean air in Nebraska that enables the fellers to sing so high.
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 02-22-2017 at 06:17 PM.

NMB, did Mr. Shanahan tell you who wrote "Summer Wind" or what real title is?

No, but he thanked me and said it was good to hear it again. He didn't correct me on the title or my stated assumption that this is an unreleased Randy-written song. So... I'm going to cautiously assume that all of the above is correct!

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Listening to the "new" track Summer Wind right now - I love it! Delilah did a great job of transcribing the lyrics.

BOML: to my feeble ears, I hear two voices - Randy and somebody else. I wonder if it could be Donny Ullstrom. Randy is singing a few verses but I think it's primarily the other guy singing and also I don't believe that was Randy speaking in the introduction??

Update: drummer Kelly Shanahan was kind enough to chat with me online for a bit. He said that is indeed Donny Ullstrom singing lead on BOML.
    Love listening to both of these "new" songs from Randy!!

NMB, it was so nice of Mr. Shanahan to talk with you. I love how you go close to the source for all things Randy!!

You are such a go-getter!! Keep up the good work!

I'm so glad you're enjoying these, ETG. I really thought Randy was doing something different with his voice on BOML and it never occurred to me it was someone else singing. Oh well. I'm just glad we have this concert audio from his first solo tour!

And NMB, you're definitely a go-getter!