Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 1978 live concert at Huntington Beach

Default Re: 1978 live concert at Huntington Beach

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Oh my gosh!! That would be so wonderful.

Mr. Ullstrom, I love your singing on "Best of My Love" - it's so much fun. I've listened to it over and over.

I sent you a PM on Facebook of the track, in mp3 format.

This is so exciting! Welcome, Donny
    Wow, this really is super cool.

NMB- You gonna be ok? I know it's a lot of excitement! Lol!!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Quote Originally Posted by rockitboy View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to this bulletin board. My name is Donny Ullstrom and I recorded with Randy on his first solo album in January of 1978. I also toured with his band the following summer in support of that album. I see that there are links to one of our shows in August at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach.
    Thank you to whoever posted those links. I was actually not aware that anyone was recording audio that night.
    I have a treat for everyone ! I have a recording of the monitor mix from our last show with Randy. I believe it was Sept. 6th or 8th 1978 at the Universal Amphitheatre when it was still an open air venue. We opened for Bob Welch . Christine McVie and Mick Fleetwood were there to support him.
    I'm in the process of getting that recording into my computer. Would you like me to upload that file to this bulletin board ?

Donny
    Welcome!! Yay!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuvTim View Post
    Wow, this really is super cool.

NMB- You gonna be ok? I know it's a lot of excitement! Lol!!
    I'm doing deep breathing exercises to keep calm

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Brief review:

Not a lot of dialogue in the beginning. He also seems just a bit reserved at first. Every song has a sax accompaniment, except Heartsong. Randy shows a lot of range throughout the show.

A special treat is having a live version of TALA. I know there's one from 1982, but this has his Eagles voice. The sax treatment gives it a jazzy feel; it reminds me of the BOML arrangement on the Millenium cd. After, someone says, "Can you throw another log onto the fire?" I suppose referencing the romantic ambience of the performance.

Every Other Day- probably my favorite track from this album. I love the faster tempo here but I miss David Cassidy's backing vocals. Ends abruptly after about 2 1/2 min.

TITTL - starts off with same piano arrangement as on the album then the sax and drums come in. He. Hits. The. High. Note. At. The. End.

Summer Wind- lovely, romantic tune with a breezy feel. Afterward, someone yells, "Midnight Flyer!" (I think). Randy jokingly says, "ok, 1,2,3..we were going to work that one up but we didn't."

I Really Want You Here Tonight - he holds that looong note at the end just like on the album. Afterwards, he introduces the band, saying, "Before I pass out..."

Band introductions - I can barely understand but I recognize some from the album credits: Kerry Morris -bass, vocals; Kelly Shanahan- drums; Danny Ullstrom - guitar, vocals; Scott ? - guitar, vocals. I could not understand who was on synthesizer or plays the gorgeous sax (David ?).

He then says he has to tune; makes me wonder if he's switching over to bass but I hear mainly guitar tuning.

Too Many Hands- some unfortunate tape glitches in the middle but what is cool and unexpected is the instrumental towards the end takes on almost psychedelic feel and a flute accompaniment is added, ala Jethro Tull! Very creative.

Heartsong- same beautiful song, same beautiful performance as on the album.

Best of My Love- my favorite from this show!! He is smokin' hot here. He announces the song, but it's the Emotions one! I think he missed his calling as an R&B singer. Seriously. He hits all those high notes. Now I can better imagine him singing Marvin Gaye on the bus with Tom Erak.
    Hi Delilah,
    This is Donny Ullstrom from the Randy Meisner band. You were talking about the quote "Can you throw another log onto the fire?" That was Kerry Morris, the bass player for Randy. It was very funny at the time because it
    was VERY hot in that room that night. No A/C, no fans, no breeze. That is something about that night that I will never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by rockitboy View Post
    Hi Delilah,
    This is Donny Ullstrom from the Randy Meisner band. You were talking about the quote "Can you throw another log onto the fire?" That was Kerry Morris, the bass player for Randy. It was very funny at the time because it
    was VERY hot in that room that night. No A/C, no fans, no breeze. That is something about that night that I will never forget.
    Thanks for clearing that up! That puzzled me, b/c why would someone want to throw another log on in California during August, lol. The quote is actually, "Can someone throw another log on?" In my zeal, I added "to the fire" by mistake. I was also wondering who was saying it.

Do you mind telling us who the other band members were (who played the sax, synthesizer, etc)? Did Randy play bass at all during the show? Any extra tidbits of info would be most welcome!

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Out on the Border

Thanks for clearing that up! That puzzled me, b/c why would someone want to throw another log on in California during August, lol. The quote is actually, "Can someone throw another log on?" In my zeal, I added "to the fire" by mistake. I was also wondering who was saying it.

Do you mind telling us who the other band members were (who played the sax, synthesizer, etc)? Did Randy play bass at all during the show? Any extra tidbits of info would be most welcome!
    Hi Delilah,
    The bass player was Kerry Morris who now lives in Florida, Kelly Shanahan was the drummer. He still lives in L.A. Scott Shelly played guitar and keyboards. Steve Edwards played guitar and for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the sax player. He was very good though. He played sax, clarinet and flute.
    There was a question about the song Summer Wind. I listened to that recording and honestly I can't even remember playing that song so I can't help to let anyone know if Randy wrote it or not.
    Randy didn't play bass at all. He and I played acoustic guitar on this tour. It was a challenge for both of us to learn the guitar as we both had never played anything but bass.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Could the sax/flute/clarinet player have been Bray Ghiglia?

Rockitboy, the name of the sax player sounds like "David" but I couldn't make out his last name (Flick or Flinch? Maybe that rings a bell). I agree he was good. The flute on "Too Many Hands" was a surprising touch. Do you remember how that arrangement came about?

There's not a whole lot of information about this tour. Do you remember how long it lasted, did you go out of state? What was Randy's favorite song; what was yours?

If I'm bugging you with too many questions, I apologize. Just let me know and I'll

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Could the sax/flute/clarinet player have been Bray Ghiglia?
    That name does sound familiar. I know is was an odd first name.

Out on the Border

Rockitboy, the name of the sax player sounds like "David" but I couldn't make out his last name (Flick or Flinch? Maybe that rings a bell). I agree he was good. The flute on "Too Many Hands" was a surprising touch. Do you remember how that arrangement came about?

There's not a whole lot of information about this tour. Do you remember how long it lasted, did you go out of state? What was Randy's favorite song; what was yours?

If I'm bugging you with too many questions, I apologize. Just let me know and I'll
    Don't worry Delilah. Never too many questions.
    Actually, that jazz arrangement on Too Many Hands came about during rehearsals. We rehearsed for 3 months before we ever played a show.
    We were playing that song and it was late and we were feeling adventurous.
    I think the keyboard player actually began to play jazz licks at the end of the song so we all kind of fell into an improvisational mood and that's how it came about. These guys were SO good that they could literally play anything. I felt like a duck out of water a little bit. I never felt that I was up to the level of musicianship of these guys. I don't know if you knew that the guys in this band played in Boz Scaggs band. Boz's band that he recorded with were the guys that turned into ToTo. Jeff Porcaro, Steve Porcaro, David Hungate & Steve Lukather. When they started having success with that band, Boz replaced them with the guys that ended up being Randy's band. In fact, Boz came to see us one night when we played the Boarding House in San Francisco so he could reconnect with them.
    The tour didn't last long. I think the Golden Bear might have been our first job. That was August 26th. And our last job was Sept. 6th at the Universal Amphitheatre. We played a couple of nights at the Boarding House in San Francisco and an outdoor concert with Sammy Hagar and Heart.
    As far a favorite song for Randy, I don't know that answer. I think my favorite song had to be Best Of My Love. But there was something about every song we played that was good. It was definitely the best band I've ever played in !