Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 1978 live concert at Huntington Beach

Default Re: 1978 live concert at Huntington Beach

Thanks so much, rockitboy! I didn't know about the Boz Scaggs-Toto connection. That's really interesting. What a bummer the tour didn't last long. Thank goodness there are some live recordings. I love listening to every track on the Golden Bear bootleg, even with the subpar audio.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Thanks so much, rockitboy! I didn't know about the Boz Scaggs-Toto connection. That's really interesting. What a bummer the tour didn't last long. Thank goodness there are some live recordings. I love listening to every track on the Golden Bear bootleg, even with the subpar audio.
    Thanx Delilah. I'm working to get that recording of the Universal job in my computer so I can upload it. It's a recording of a monitor mix, so the keyboards are a little distant in some songs, but the quality of the recording is very good.

Banned

Thanks for showing up and contributing, rockitboy (Donny Ullstrom from the Randy Meisner band) and for answering Delilah's great questions.

There have been years when we've heard little to nothing at all from Randy's camp so, having someone around from his backing band is a real treat and makes this a wonderful time to a Randy fan.

I look forward to hearing your recording of the final 1978 show. I regularly visit the huge internet, live show, archives hoping to find some Eagles fare, especially Randy's, as they are so hard to find.

http://bootlegsworldwide.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://theultimatebootlegexperience7.blogspot.co.uk/

I've read somewhere that Randy was quite a serial archivist, routinely recording sessions and shows for his own purposes. Is this true of the time you spent with him Donny?

....and congratulations on being a (granted small) part of the Eagles legend Donny

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

This is from the Randy Meisner Concert Chronology, an excellent resource by someone called Deliverin' (a Poco fan, clearly):

July 21 Cabaret Club, Aspen, CA
    July 25 Municipal Auditorium, Birmingham, AL
    July 27 Coliseum, Biloxi, MS
    July 28 Centroplex, Baton Rogue, LA
    July 29 Convention Center Arena, Pine Bluff, AK
    July 30 Coliseum, Nashville, TN
    August 1 Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis, TN
    August 2 Mississippi River Festival, SIU, Edwardsville, IL
    August 4 Miami Stadium, Miami, FL
    August 5 Tangerine Bowl, Orlando, FL Jimmy Buffett, Steve Miller, Little River Band: Meisner cancelled and local band Southpaw replaced him
    August 8 Coliseum, Nashville, TN
    August 25-26 Golden Bear, Huntington Beach, CA
    September 1-3 Roxy, Los Angeles, CA Bill Champlin
    September 5-7 Boarding House, San Francisco, CA
    September 8 Universal Amphitheatre, Universal City, CA Bob Welsh

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Thanks for showing up and contributing, rockitboy (Donny Ullstrom from the Randy Meisner band) and for answering Delilah's great questions.

There have been years when we've heard little to nothing at all from Randy's camp so, having someone around from his backing band is a real treat and makes this a wonderful time to a Randy fan.

I look forward to hearing your recording of the final 1978 show. I regularly visit the huge internet, live show, archives hoping to find some Eagles fare, especially Randy's, as they are so hard to find.

http://bootlegsworldwide.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://theultimatebootlegexperience7.blogspot.co.uk/

I've read somewhere that Randy was quite a serial archivist, routinely recording sessions and shows for his own purposes. Is this true of the time you spent with him Donny?

....and congratulations on being a (granted small) part of the Eagles legend Donny
    Hi Funk 50

I am not aware of any recordings that Randy made of us. He certainly may have though.
    I guess I am a small(very) part of Eagles history. My wife and I flew with the Eagles on their party plane, to a concert in Oakland in August of 1976.
    It was a lot of fun ! At the time, Henley was dating Stevie Nicks so she was on the plane too. I believe the show was Loggins & Messina, then Linda Rondstat and the Eagles were of course the headliners. I have a Super8 video of the day. I get it out every once in a while just to re-live that experience.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    This is from the Randy Meisner Concert Chronology, an excellent resource by someone called Deliverin' (a Poco fan, clearly):

July 21 Cabaret Club, Aspen, CA
    July 25 Municipal Auditorium, Birmingham, AL
    July 27 Coliseum, Biloxi, MS
    July 28 Centroplex, Baton Rogue, LA
    July 29 Convention Center Arena, Pine Bluff, AK
    July 30 Coliseum, Nashville, TN
    August 1 Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis, TN
    August 2 Mississippi River Festival, SIU, Edwardsville, IL
    August 4 Miami Stadium, Miami, FL
    August 5 Tangerine Bowl, Orlando, FL Jimmy Buffett, Steve Miller, Little River Band: Meisner cancelled and local band Southpaw replaced him
    August 8 Coliseum, Nashville, TN
    August 25-26 Golden Bear, Huntington Beach, CA
    September 1-3 Roxy, Los Angeles, CA Bill Champlin
    September 5-7 Boarding House, San Francisco, CA
    September 8 Universal Amphitheatre, Universal City, CA Bob Welsh
    Hi NightMistBlue,

Thanx for posting this chronology. I haven't seen this since 1978.
    Unfortunately, we didn't play most of these dates. I'm not sure why, but the first bunch of dates were cancelled by Randy. The only ones we actually played were from the Golden Bear to the Universal Amphitheatre.
    The Roxy was a lot of fun. One of Bill Champlin's back up singers that night was Bobby Kimball, who of course went on to be the lead singer of ToTo. Later on Bill joined Chicago.

Out on the Border

Oh my, that is unfortunate. You guys were such a hot band, I mean that sincerely.

This is too sensitive of a topic to get into, but Randy has been quoted (most notably in the book "To the Limit" by Marc Eliot) that he thought Irving Azoff may have been blackballing him in the industry, making it hard for him to book dates for his band.

Once I was "talking' online with a woman who had done publicity for Randy's first solo album. I asked her about the Azoff charge and she said, "It's possible." Then soon after, she deleted her comment! People are scared of that guy.
    I am not sure of everything that happened with Irv but, I know one day he came to our rehearsal on Sunset Blvd to listen to the band. He went outside with Randy for a talk. I don't know what transpired but, Randy came back in the building not very happy. Irv obviously had allegiances to Don & Glen. It's too bad that more support was given to Randy. After our Universal show, I had to return to Nebraska, as I had a wife and baby to support. I think Randy changed management and record companies after that.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

He did, he went with Trudy Green, who worked closely with Howard Kaufman, the longtime accountant and later manager for Chicago (Chicago again!). Kaufman then teamed up with Azoff.

We're learning so much from you - thank you, Donny! I hope Randy writes his autobiography someday but I guess he's really private.

Wow rockitboy!! I am loving the stories you are sharing! I have thoroughly enjoyed hearing the Huntington Beach concert. You guys were great!

It is a shame that Randy did not get more support for his solo career. He really put out some great music, I listen to his albums all the time.

That's so cool that you got to travel on the party plane. Ohh, to be a fly on the wall for that! I don't blame you a bit for watching your video, I would do the same thing.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Out on the Border

He did, he went with Trudy Green, who worked closely with Howard Kaufman, the longtime accountant and later manager for Chicago (Chicago again!). Kaufman then teamed up with Azoff.

We're learning so much from you - thank you, Donny! I hope Randy writes his autobiography someday but I guess he's really private.
    Yes, Randy is pretty private. And after what happened to his wife, he's probably even more that way. I thought it was wrong to not include him in the Hell Freezes Over album and tour. I think it would have been cool to start their show with the original 4, and then bring the other ones on stage in the order that they joined the band. My wife and I were out in California right after the Hell Freezes Over started. We visited Randy & Lana and Randy didn't say much about it, but I'm sure he was hurt by it.