Page 148 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1651

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Banned

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Since Fogelberg's tribute album has been in the works for many years, it's very possible that Glenn did have some input to it before he died.

I was initially expecting Joe and the Eagles to offer two separate tracks to the CD. After Glenn's death, I read a guest list that included Walsh and Henley contributions so I'm disappointed that there is actually just the single Eagles track. The confirmed track list suggests that they've added Don and Tim's backing vocals to the Walsh track and labelled it as the Eagles. I wonder who's playing drums and bass?

I'm pretty sure that there are a number of tracks on Long Road Out of Eden that don't feature all of Glenn, Don, Tim and Joe so Part Of The Plan may not be setting that precedent but I don't recall the Eagles recording a cover for a tribute/benefit album before, so I'm kinda pleased at that. it does have a suggestion of testing the water for further Eagles releases in the future, though.

I still look to Irving, Don, Joe and Tim, rather than disenchanted fans, to judge the authenticity of the Eagles and why is this discussion relegated to the "Tour Talk" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Philh View Post
    I have to go with the opposite view. There is a music ‘legal’ ruling that says a band can continue to use it’s name as long as there is still one original member so the Eagles can call themselves Eagles.
    I miss Glenn as much as the next person but life has to go on.
    The Eagles will never be the same without Glenn but the song on the Dan Fogelberg album is just a song and I have no problem in seeing the Eagles name. If it helps to sell more copies then that’s ok. Don, Joe and Timothy are core members and at the risk of inciting a riot, I would love a new Eagles album at some point. Life is too short, let’s just be happy that we still have DH, Joe and Tim to hopefully make new music.
    "Accept no substitutes." - Don Henley

(Unless they are a cherry picked heavy hitter country music star and a sentimental favorite son)

I'm buying the tribute CD in support of Dan Fogelberg who I have been of fan of since the 70's not help further the goals/objectives of the Eagles brand which I personally find an offensive if not downright repulsive idea.

Stuck on the Border

I think it's ridiculous to call the group on the recording "Eagles", but I won't be painfully avoiding listening to the song either if I come across it.

The Eagles had four great harmony voices when they started. Now they have two. Even the band has said (at least one of them) that they lost vocally when Joe replaced Bernie, so it seems (personally I haven't analyzed their harmony voices) he doesn't have a magnificent voice for the Eagles harmonies. And people think of vocal harmonies when they think of the Eagles.

Incidentally, where does the "just a" justification stop? First it was "just a couple of shows", then "just a tour", now "just a song". Will there be "just an album" next?

EDIT:

Every member probably wasn't on every track on LROOE, yes, but IMO there's a difference between releasing an album where some tracks don't feature all the members and releasing a single song. If there's not a difference, with the same logic Harrison, McCartney and Starr could have made new music from scratch as "The Beatles" at some point after Lennon died, because there were many Beatles tracks that didn't feature all the members.
    Last edited by chaim; 10-02-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Since Fogelberg's tribute album has been in the works for many years, it's very possible that Glenn did have some input to it before he died.

I was initially expecting Joe and the Eagles to offer two separate tracks to the CD. After Glenn's death, I read a guest list that included Walsh and Henley contributions so I'm disappointed that there is actually just the single Eagles track. The confirmed track list suggests that they've added Don and Tim's backing vocals to the Walsh track and labelled it as the Eagles. I wonder who's playing drums and bass?

I'm pretty sure that there are a number of tracks on Long Road Out of Eden that don't feature all of Glenn, Don, Tim and Joe so Part Of The Plan may not be setting that precedent but I don't recall the Eagles recording a cover for a tribute/benefit album before, so I'm kinda pleased at that. it does have a suggestion of testing the water for further Eagles releases in the future, though.

I still look to Irving, Don, Joe and Tim, rather than disenchanted fans, to judge the authenticity of the Eagles and why is this discussion relegated to the "Tour Talk" thread
    Disenchanted fans means loss of "expendable income" to people in the recording/tour business who depend upon fans to buy concert tickets and merchandise. When unhappy, disinterested consumers stop laying down their credit cards or digging deep into their savings that is a problem for any band/brand. Just ask Azoff.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I think it's ridiculous to call the group on the recording "Eagles", but I won't be painfully avoiding listening to the song either if I come across it.

The Eagles had four great harmony voices when they started. Now they have two. Even the band has said (at least one of them) that they lost vocally when Joe replaced Bernie, so it seems (personally I haven't analyzed their harmony voices) he doesn't have a magnificent voice for the Eagles harmonies. And people think of vocal harmonies when they think of the Eagles.

Incidentally, where does the "just a" justification stop? First it was "just a couple of shows", then "just a tour", now "just a song". Will there be "just an album" next?

EDIT:

Every member probably wasn't on every track on LROOE, yes, but IMO there's a difference between releasing an album where some tracks don't feature all the members and releasing a single song. If there's not a difference, with the same logic Harrison, McCartney and Starr could have made new music from scratch as "The Beatles" at some point after Lennon died, because there were many Beatles tracks that didn't feature all the members.
    You make some interesting points Chaim.

I have a problem with the timing of this recording because it appears to have happened after January 2016 when Glenn Frey died and before the band reversed their position that it was always Glenn Frey's band and without him the band would not, could not continue. They were done. Recording a song for commercial purposes and billing themselves as the Eagles sans Glenn Frey as well as Vince Gill and Deacon Frey isn't an accident to be sure.
    Last edited by Dawn; 10-02-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Border Desperado

Personally, when it comes to raising money for a cause as worthy as cancer research, I don't care what a group decides to call itself/ bill itself as. I'm just thrilled people are contributing their time to eradicating deadly diseases.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    You make some interesting points Chaim.

I have a problem with the timing of this recording because it appears to have happened after January 2016 when Glenn Frey died and before the band reversed their position that it was always Glenn Frey's band and without him the band would not, could not continue. They were done. Recording a song for commercial purposes and billing themselves as the Eagles sans Glenn Frey as well as Vince Gill and Deacon Frey isn't an accident to be sure.
    I'm not sure if I made everything as clear as it could have been in my post. Personally I'm against that recording - well, not the recording but using the name Eagles. My song vs. album comment meant that it's not as big a deal if all the members of a band are not on every track on an album (I was referring to Funk50's post). Whereas when a single song is released, the song is not "buried" on an album and it gets more attention. In other words, if there's a song on LROOE that doesn't feature Glenn, there are a lot of songs that do. It's very common that a member or two don't play/sing on a track. (although Eagles music in the 70's us always featured the whole band) But now they recorded one song without Glenn and it's bound to get attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Disenchanted fans means loss of "expendable income" to people in the recording/tour business who depend upon fans to buy concert tickets and merchandise. When unhappy, disinterested consumers stop laying down their credit cards or digging deep into their savings that is a problem for any band/brand. Just ask Azoff.
    Bingo.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by VillageGirl View Post
    Personally, when it comes to raising money for a cause as worthy as cancer research, I don't care what a group decides to call itself/ bill itself as. I'm just thrilled people are contributing their time to eradicating deadly diseases.
    Exactly. Methinks we're losing sight of what's important here -- honoring a singer who died and raising money to fight cancer. But I should have known that what matters here is that they're calling themselves Eagles.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    Exactly. Methinks we're losing sight of what's important here -- honoring a singer who died and raising money to fight cancer. But I should have known that what matters here is that they're calling themselves Eagles.
    My issue is not with them honouring Fogelberg but doing that instead of honouring Glenn. I don't see why this is now being excused because fundraising is involved. Where are their efforts to help research into rheumatoid arthritis & pneumonia? Amd yes, it does matter that they are calling themselves 'Eagles'. They are no such thing any more. It's probable that only Joe even plays on the track & the others just sing backup. So as I said earlier, there was absolutely no need to call it 'Eagles'.