Page 22 of 166 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Banned

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

I remember Bernie's "no Christmas cards" anecdote. They were work colleagues from the very start, despite Felder's claims that they became business associates after they got rich. Wasn't it David Geffen who advised Glenn that he needed a band? Credit to Glenn that he got the best band.

I've no problem with the rest of the band treating Glenn like a work colleague or worse still, their boss but it looks like the performance with Jackson Browne and the Kennedy Center Honors appearance hasn't provided the closure required. A major public tribute concert surely would.

A multi band festival isn't an adequate context for a Frey tribute imo but they are facing accusations of snubbing Glenn. if they don't acknowledge his passing.

I just want them to put on the best show possible, I struggle with the concept that adding, family and friends will add to the spectacle rather than weaken it. The quality of the show will reflect directly on the band not the people they share the stage with.

I'm hoping that when they get together to rehearse , the old tensions, kick back in and we get a level of performance that's worthy of The Eagles as well as Eagles, Family and Friends.

Do you think the band will do any low key secret gigs in preparation for these monster gigs? I've just realized that these will be the biggest concerts that the Eagles have ever done!

Stuck on the Border

I've a feeling that whatever they do it will never be satisfactory and that's just because nothing can bring Glenn back. They will do whatever feels right to them. If this one works, maybe they'll do a real tribute or maybe they won't.

Reading some of the comments yesterday, I realised that what I want is a tribute to Glenn in which his solo work is covered, not just the Eagles, and that seems unlikely.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

In a roundabout way I'm pretty sure Stevie Nicks confirmed her and Fleetwood Mac's participation in this last night at her concert I was at. She talked about the articles recently how she isn't recording with them but said they're not breaking up and will be doing shows very soon. She also brought up about reuniting with some old friends at Tom Petty's Musicares event, where we know Don and Joe were also at as well, so I feel she was starting to tease this event.

I also hope and think they will do some sort of tribute to Glenn as well with this. I too wish it would've been a full tribute concert just about him. However, I've gotten more ok with these shows and am looking forward to getting official confirmation of what exactly is going on.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I remember Bernie's "no Christmas cards" anecdote. They were work colleagues from the very start, despite Felder's claims that they became business associates after they got rich. Wasn't it David Geffen who advised Glenn that he needed a band? Credit to Glenn that he got the best band.
    Yet Glenn and Don H were housemates and worked closely together writing songs. They hung out at Dan Tana's and played poker with the other Eagles. They all partied together at the 3rd Encore. Didn't they all live together while recording in London? I recall seeing a photo of Randy and his wife in Japan with Glenn, where it looked like they were sight-seeing while on tour. Despite not being best buddies and all the fighting, clearly there was a level of camaraderie/closeness among them in the 70s that didn't seem to be there during HFO and after. You can see it in their performances, especially the early ones.

As far as the comments about performing a tribute at a classic rock music festival, it may not be the ideal event for one, but I believe it as likely as not that this summer will be the last time they perform together as a band. This may be their only/best chance to give some sort of public recognition of Glenn.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I want to thank everyone for sharing their thoughts and feelings regarding this most "suspicious occasion" ->> East/West Festival (Just a little levity from 1998 Hall of Fame Don Henley's acceptance speech).

All things considered I have no doubt the band will stage and perform a tribute to Glenn Frey. It's definitely NOT the ideal venue nor frankly even appropriate but there it is ... all that remains is for Azoff et al to put their PR team to work on a formal statement to appease disgruntled fans and temper the appearance of greed and/or desperation (Don's terminology).

What really troubles me is the rank speculation and hype. From Day 1 its been a public relations fiasco. I put the blame squarely on Azoff's shoulders not Henley or Timothy or Joe. Certainly not the Frey family or any other family and friends.

There is nothing I can say or do but take comfort in knowing how other fans feel. I've already explained why I personally can't/won't support the event. I don't begrudge others for feeling differently or disagreeing with the hard line I've drawn. Glenn Frey is gone. What he would or would not have wanted for the band's legacy, the remaining members, his family, friends, himself, we can not know only speculate. In the end I'm just a fan. We all are. Glenn was not indifferent to his fans he was appreciative and worked hard at maintaining even exceeding his own expectations for high standards and quality.

Maybe there will be a special tribute concert I still feel it's awfully late in the day but I'd still be happy to see Glenn honored in a venue like NYC's historic Beacon Theater, The Hollywood Bowl. There are so many options other than a super-sized 6-band bicoastal mega festival. Heck, I'd love to see a full orchestra with special guests male and female performing Glenn's solo songs and music arrangements in addition to his Eagles work. Unlikely as that probably is I think it would be awesome!
    Last edited by Dawn; 03-18-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Hi all. I have very mixed feelings about this, especially after Don spent the last year(as late as Dec. during the KCH) denying the guys would ever play together. I know people make statements they say in grief but Don was so firm about not doing something like this. I just feel if they wanted to honor Glenn, they could have done it in another way.

IMHO Citi field is not really the best place to hold such a festival. It only holds around 45,000 people. Met Life Stadium(Giants Stadium) holds 80,000 people and has train and the NJ Turnpike to hold the traffic. Citi Field requires train/bus to the subway if you do not drive. This whole thing just sounds money driven to me.

Question: Just saw an interview the other day where Don said he had been "estranged" from Glenn the last few years. Hah, what do you all make of this
    Tina
    Why Is Giants stadium a better place? NO Citi Field is perfect; large enough but not overwhelming. I personally Hate Giants stadium. I went there once & never again. Took 2 hours to just get out of the parking lot. Citi Field is new & convenient. You can drive, or take a train there. It's your choice.

I think people seem to be angry that that this is NOT really a tribute to Glenn... It's a one off, or say.. a two off of shows. It's named East & West Classic. I am hoping maybe they may still add a few more bands. Perhaps another time & place would be more appropriate for a Glenn tribute, but this is not it, as other bands are involved, not just the Eagles!

Now, the last thing I read is that Randy, Bernie & Don Felder will be participating in these shows? Has anyone else heard this news?? It may just be a rumor, but I did read this.... I say it's about time to bury the bitterness, One thing Glenn taught us, is that life is short. I would personally love to see them play together again...

Stuck on the Border

I read on one of the Eagles FB fan pages that quoted I believe Classic Rock Magazine indicating Bernie, Don F. and Randy would be included in the show. However, none of this has been confirmed by anyone. I thought Randy was not well enough to perform due to numerous health problems. I had read somewhere(maybe here) that Randy's vocal chords were damaged as a result of the chocking accident a few years ago. I can not see Don F. included. If he was not included in the KCH then I can't see him being included in this. Just my two cents, which accounts for nothing.

TK - I like Met Life Stadium. I do not think it is any easier getting out of Citi Field if you drive. However, it is smaller and perhaps more intimate setting than Giants Stadium. That kind of setting seems like a strange way to honor Glenn.

Banned

I've been pondering on the possibility of the Eagles (F&F) having some female musicians on stage with them. Don, Joe and Tim all play live with female backing singers nowadays.

Watching this clip of Mike And The Mechanics doing a wonderful live version of Bill Wither's Lovely Day last week, I'll definitely rule out the possibility of Jenifer Hudson being among the Family and Friends

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular#p04x59l8

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I've been pondering on the possibility of the Eagles (F&F) having some female musicians on stage with them. Don, Joe and Tim all play live with female backing singers nowadays.

Watching this clip of Mike And The Mechanics doing a wonderful live version of Bill Wither's Lovely Day last week, I'll definitely rule out the possibility of Jenifer Hudson being among the Family and Friends

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular#p04x59l8
    Like they don't already have enough backing singers if they use the old backing band.

This just emphasises the massive gap that will exist without Glenn's voice.

Border Desperado

Personally, I am excited. I hope this gets those juices flowing again, and they realize they WANT to play together, and NEED to play together. I would love to see a full scale tour, mixing Eagles, and solo stuff, sort of like the HFO set list, with heavy Don and Joe solo stuff.
    This might even get the buzz up enough to see a HOTE Live Concert DVD finally!!!!