Page 82 of 166 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

If it's all about the songs people still want to hear why can't Henley, TBS, JW and SS play and sing the songs themselves? Sure they won't sound the same but that's to be expected without Glenn Frey.
    Last edited by Dawn; 05-17-2017 at 01:52 AM.

Stuck on the Border

[quote=L101;357921]You don't want to diss Deacon but its OK to diss Don ?? Well, thats fine I suppose, as Don is a money grabbing, manipulative, spiteful little man who is only interested in what he can get for himself and everyone else be damned!

Am I right in that description ? That seems to be the general opinion of most of the so-called Eagles fans on here. Even though I stopped posting a while ago, I still follow the comments and the nastiness against Don is getting worse - especially from certain people, who still feel they have to bully non-Glenn fans into agreeing with them.

Nothing Don or the rest of the Eagles do from now on is ever going to be right in the eyes of some people here - but at least have the decency to allow others their point of view - life within the Eagles has to go on whether you like it or not![/quote]

No, it does not. There is no 'has to' about it. This did not 'have' to happen. I would love to know where all these world wide messages begging Henley to continue came from. Surely there would have been an equal number telling him that he should not continue.

I haven't seen any particular nastiness directed at Henley recently; certainly not from me. All I hoped was that he would stick to his word. He failed to do so. He is not immune from criticism. I do not agree that Frey fans (why don't you name names? What difference does it make?) have attempted to 'bully' anyone. All some of us hoped was that people would understand our objections. How is that 'bullying'? That is a very strong word. Allowing others their point of view works two ways. You are now doing what you accuse Frey fans of doing. I guess it is uncomfortable for you to be reminded of what this band used to be about. Frey fans are now being told we should, to coin a phrase, 'go quietly'. Our time is gone. That is why I have objected so strongly to some posts in the 3.0 thread.

As for the suggestion of Vince Gill as the other guest - forgive me for being utterly underwhelmed.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-16-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'm sorry it came across to you that way. My post was certainly highly critical of Don's choice, and it was snarky too, so I can see why you thought I was going after him.

It's just that your "translation" of my post was that I believe Don is "a money grabbing, manipulative, spiteful little man who is only interested in what he can get for himself and everyone else be damned!" I do not believe that, which is why I feel I needed to address your post.

I said none of those things about Don. What I said was that I believe he was genuine in his statement that he feels it is the right thing to do to enlist Deacon. I meant that.

Please do not confuse my criticism of Don's choice to continue the Eagles with a personal attack.

I do not believe he is a bad person.

I do believe he is making a devastating mistake, one I cannot support, one I suspect he might regret someday.

L101, I know you are speaking from your heart and not from malice. You are a sweet person who feels very intensely about Don. I certainly understand that! I hope you do not truly believe that I am a "so-called fan" and a "bully." If you do believe that about me, I am sorry to hear it, because I respect you.

I do not expect you, or anyone else who supports this for that matter, to change their minds. I am simply expressing my opinion. Anyone who wishes to support this is free to do so without condemnation from me.

I just can't join in the celebrations.
    Very well said Soda.

Rock History Music's take on Deacon playing with the band-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?sns=tw&v=hUiFEiVF6pQ

[quote=Freypower;357955]
    Quote Originally Posted by L101 View Post
    You don't want to diss Deacon but its OK to diss Don ?? Well, thats fine I suppose, as Don is a money grabbing, manipulative, spiteful little man who is only interested in what he can get for himself and everyone else be damned!

Am I right in that description ? That seems to be the general opinion of most of the so-called Eagles fans on here. Even though I stopped posting a while ago, I still follow the comments and the nastiness against Don is getting worse - especially fèd%%¯ÿÿ€Tˆ±DH<*g›~wTú>d ªªy have to bully non-Glenn fans into agreeing with them.

Nothing Don or the rest of the Eagles do from now on is ever going to be right in the eyes of some people here - but at least have the decency to allow others their point of view - life within the Eagles has to go on whether you like it or not![/quote]

No, it does not. There is no 'has to' about it. This did not 'have' to happen. I would love to know where all these world wide messages begging Henley to continue came from. Surely there would have been an equal number telling him that he should not continue.

I haven't seen any particular nastiness directed at Henley recently; certainly not from me. All I hoped was that he would stick to his word. He failed to do so. He is not immune from criticism. I do not agree that Frey fans (why don't you name names? What difference does it make?) have attempted to 'bully' anyone. All some of us hoped was that people would understand our objections. How is that 'bullying'? That is a very strong word. Allowing others their point of view works two ways. You are now doing what you accuse Frey fans of doing. I guess it is uncomfortable for you to be reminded of what this band used to be about. Frey fans are now being told we should, to coin a phrase, 'go quietly'. Our time is gone. That is why I have objected so strongly to some posts in the 3.0 thread.

As for the suggestion of Vince Gill as the other guest - forgive me for being utterly underwhelmed.
    I wasn't going to reply to your post but I wanted to clarify a few points:
    - Surprisingly enough, there are a lot of Eagles fans that exist outside of this border group and they seem to want the Eagles to continue on in some form. You don't agree with this, which is fine, but it seems like more fans want this to happen than for them to just completely down tools and stop.

- Why should I be uncomfortable to be reminded of what the band used to be about ? I'm not. Yes they are going ahead with this and it is extremely sad that Glenn is not here for it but I try to look to the future, not wallow in the past. I'm interested in what they will do and how they will sound.

- Of course Don H is not immune from criticism and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I can see all sides of the argument and agree with most of them, but if you feel bullying is too strong a word, then how about making people feel like they are intimidated because they post an opinion that is different to yours ?

I have no desire to continue with this argument, so I'll just say, that when all this is over, I hope that some people might finally come to terms with Glenn's passing and look to the future, maybe even liking the Eagles again one day......
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

[quote=L101;357981]
    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

- Surprisingly enough, there are a lot of Eagles fans that exist outside of this border group and they seem to want the Eagles to continue on in some form. You don't agree with this, which is fine, but it seems like more fans want this to happen than for them to just completely down tools and stop.

- Why should I be uncomfortable to be reminded of what the band used to be about ? I'm not. Yes they are going ahead with this and it is extremely sad that Glenn is not here for it but I try to look to the future, not wallow in the past. I'm interested in what they will do and how they will sound.

- Of course Don H is not immune from criticism and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I can see all sides of the argument and agree with most of them, but if you feel bullying is too strong a word, then how about making people feel like they are intimidated because they post an opinion that is different to yours ?

I have no desire to continue with this argument, so I'll just say, that when all this is over, I hope that some people might finally come to terms with Glenn's passing and look to the future, maybe even liking the Eagles again one day......
    That's a fair statement, but one of the major things that drew me to the Eagles over twenty years ago - before I knew who he was or what he looked like - was the voice on songs like Tequila Sunrise and Outlaw Man. My father is a casual fan (meaning that the Eagles is one of his favorite bands, but he doesn't actively listen to them) who has said that although Don's voice is great, Glenn's voice is what makes it Eagles for him. What I'm getting at is...... IMO it's perfectly fine if some people will enjoy the band from now on and some people won't. At this point I have nothing against them continuing, but even if we chose to forget Glenn the person whom I'm a fan of today, the loss of that voice I initially fell in love with changes the band too much for me. Meaning that if one doesn't support the band anymore, it doesn't mean that there's anger, feelings of betrayal or any other negative stuff involved.

EDIT:

I'm replying to L101's post although for some reason it looks like I'm quoting Freypower.
    Last edited by chaim; 05-18-2017 at 03:31 AM.

Stuck on the Border

[quote=L101;357981]
    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

The word 'intimidated' is possibly even stronger than 'bullying' because it implies that people are scared. It implies that 'some people' (you mean me. Why not say so?) wish to shut down all arguments. That is not true.

This ''look to the future' stuff for me in this context is meaningless & irrelevant without Glenn Frey. Whatever the others chose to do now means absolutely nothing to me as a person. If that is 'wallowing in the past' because I would rather remember Frey than support this travesty, then that is what I am doing. I don't care if I am in a minority on this issue. I don't care how many fans supposedly want this to happen. As I have said from the start, I don't have to go along with it. I cannot agree that there is a band called 'Eagles' without Frey (see Toni's post below).

I do want to look to the future, but on a personal basis, for however long I may have (a reference to the state of my health). The fact is the Border is now associated with my past, not the future. I am easing myself out. I don't know when the final break will come, but it must for my own sake.

FP, please know that you are certainly not alone in feeling as you do. I feel very much the same way as do many of my Eagles fans friends and family. Your insight is valuable and much appreciated - I'm hoping you will continue to share your thoughts, feelings and opinions.

Allbest,

Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    FP, please know that you are certainly not alone in feeling as you do. I feel very much the same way as do many of my Eagles fans friends and family. Your insight is valuable and much appreciated - I'm hoping you will continue to share your thoughts, feelings and opinions.

Allbest,

Dawn
    This says for me as well!

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

FP, I haven't always agreed with everything you've said, but I sure as hell respect your right to say it, and I happen to agree with you on this. The Eagles without Glenn makes about as much sense as The Eagles without Don. Which is none. Having said that, if anyone is going to honor Glenn by performing his songs Deacon is a perfect choice. I wish him well.

On a more personal note, I'm sorry to hear your health is poor, FP, and I send my best wishes to you. I hope you reconsider your decision to post here. I enjoy reading other's opinions, especially if they don't agree with me, or I them.