Page 17 of 166 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Obviously, this is a highly emotional time, and perhaps people are saying things they may later regret. Maybe we should all take a deep breath.

I continue to await a statement from Don. I am sure there will be one. However, I agree it might come in the form of a press conference with all the remaining guys, and thus it would not occur until his return from Australia. I believe his last date "down under" is March 25.

That's a long time to wait, though. I must be frank. I feel allowing this uncertainty to fester is a bad idea; it only brings in a lot of unnecessary drama and negativity. This is a situation that should have been handled with delicacy, and right now, it's barely being handled at all.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

So true, Soda. All I can think is that the project is in the works, but they haven't finalized all contractual details. So, their options are to categorically deny it, but then they will have to do a 180 say it's happening OR confirm that it is happening, except that all parties' lawyers haven't dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's and the thing could still go south, OR, say, "no comment" which I think is sort of what Irving implied with his response. So, it's just sitting out there, awkwardly.

I would be surprised (and impressed) if there were an actual press conference with the 3 guys to announce these 2 shows, instead of just a statement. Guess we'll see.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

That was really weird, why did my reply to Soda go above her post?

Is it my machine, or are these two posts above Soda's? Help!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    That was really weird, why did my reply to Soda go above her post?

Is it my machine, or are these two posts above Soda's? Help!
    Perhaps the board clock has been fixed. I'm testing that now. The time is 23:30.

ETA It seems it hasn't.

I really hate this....not necessarily the fact this could happen (that's for my next post), but that we are soooo divided and stressed right now. As if we didn't have enough of that for those of us in the USA. I agree with Soda, when this blows over (in whatever way it does) it will still be a sore spot for a lot of people and regret is bound to happen. At this point it's like it's already been confirmed. It's like "it might as well happen, because we are feeling bad about it as if it did already". I've personally felt like that many times. I really wish this wouldn't have happened, much like I wish the 2016 election could have been "skipped". I hate stress.

All I can say is that I really hope the drama dies down and the interpersonal relations can go on as before. I really think that it can, but it is difficult now.

My next post will be my thoughts on the news.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I really hate this....not necessarily the fact this could happen (that's for my next post), but that we are soooo divided and stressed right now. As if we didn't have enough of that for those of us in the USA. I agree with Soda, when this blows over (in whatever way it does) it will still be a sore spot for a lot of people and regret is bound to happen. At this point it's like it's already been confirmed. It's like "it might as well happen, because we are feeling bad about it as if it did already". I've personally felt like that many times. I really wish this wouldn't have happened, much like I wish the 2016 election could have been "skipped". I hate stress.

All I can say is that I really hope the drama dies down and the interpersonal relations can go on as before. I really think that it can, but it is difficult now.

My next post will be my thoughts on the news.
    Well said, I haven't given my thoughts on this yet for two reasons...

1. I'm not completely sure which side I take. Both sides present good arguments, and no matter which side I pick it doesn't really matter. In the end it's up to the guys to decide.

2. I would really rather just stay out of it. I tend to have strong opinions and I would hate to offend someone or say stuff that I didn't mean in the heat of an argument.

My thoughts on a reformed Eagles with a new singer (be it with or without former members) are this...I think for a ONE off tribute, it is fine. But to go on under the banner of the Eagles as if nothing ever happened, like a personnel change is uneasy to think about. NOT blaming Don here or saying he's a bad guy (it's actually Irving that I'm directing this to mostly). I was not a huge GF fan, but I DID respect that he was one of the lead singers and the guy behind it....as much as I hated it at times. And as much as I think Felder's departure was taken way too lightly, I feel Frey's would be even moreso, and that's saying a lot as I truly was/am a Felder fan and I felt he got a raw deal.

I just think Frey's role(s) in the band were/are too important to replace and that while maybe right or wrong Henley sang more or was more of the prominent voice, Glenn was a HUGE part in the band, too big of a part to sweep under the proverbial rug. And that goes for replacing Henley as well, to be fair. I think that if this is going into a full force tour, it just really cheapens the band's legacy and sometimes hell shouldn't freeze over for the second time.

Bob is a big name in his own right, he doesn't need the Eagles. Same for Jackson and Vince. Might it be cool to stick in your history book, maybe. But it's not necessary for any of those men to do it for anything other than extra cash. Similarly, I would have to feel like if the band went on, I'd feel like it was just a money grab. I'm sorry, and as much as I wished it was for the music but they have their own solos careers for that outlet if that were the real reason for it. They could also choose to tour together under a different name and do that.

Now I know some of Don's fans are unhappy about some of the comments. And I must say, we are ALL biased. But imagine for a second if the roles were reversed...Don had died and Glenn was going to continue the band for more than a one off but rather tour with a new singer and on the surface it seemed like business as usual and just a personnel change, I bet you would be unhappy. So while I agree about the fighting and some comments that are over the top and demeaning, at least be somewhat sympathetic to Glenn's fans for feeling the way they do about the band possibly continuing on without their favorite member and how it might feel to see the band moving on without him.

All in all, I hope it doesn't happen. But if it does, at the very least I hope we can all still be kind to each other and not turn it into a dramatic echo chamber.

Sorry, to those who do not agree with my reaction to the news or the manner in which I express myself, but the fact that I am supporting the proposed event, should not be construed as anything more than it is-support.

Peace!

CarolC

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

All those who know me, know I'm a "Glenn-girl", and have been since about 1976. Most of you know that out of all the artists out there, Don has always been my #2. Consequently, most of posts in this thread are ones I can relate to, on both sides of the coin.

I keep thinking that we don't know the facts. Even with a press release with an official announcement, we aren't going to get all the facts. Our guys just don't operate like that. Everything on here and on the various social media pages for radio stations, etc, I've seen everyone laying this on Don. Yet is it Irving that is running the entire show, literally, as this festival is his baby. Irving and Glenn were great friends, and as far as I know, Cindy and Shelli still are. Irving would know what Glenn's wishes were. What if this is what Glenn wanted? How disrespectful would it be of them not to follow through on it?

I have a hard time believing Irving would go against Glenn's wishes on this. (By his own admission, Don wasn't as close to Glenn in the last few years and so might not be in as good of a position to know what Glenn wanted). Glenn's exact wishes on the matter are likely something we aren't going to get in a press release. I would like everyone to think about this, though. What if it was in reverse? What if we knew as a fact that Glenn wanted something along these lines, and we knew that Irving and Don were refusing to do it? How would we feel about that? Most people tend to feel that not honoring the wishes of the dearly departed is the ultimate sign of disrespect.

I did read the posts about Don and his supposed lack when it came to mentioning Glenn in concert. I can see why people might think that, so I do want everyone here to know that there has been no lack of emotion from him on this. As someone who has been lucky enough to sit in the first couple of rows for three of Don's concerts since Jan. 2016, and in row 6 for another and the Runaway event, to me the emotion has been obvious. More than once the look in his eyes, the emotion, has made me cry (really cry), during NYM and Desperado. I think it's unfair to imply that Don has been blasé about Glenn's death, and I did read it as a criticism of him, which is why I'm posting here and wanting to give my perspective of it.

Lastly, I'll reiterate what I said before. This is two shows, not a tour. Maybe there will be other shows, maybe there won't be. In my mind I leave open the possibility that a few shows here and there is something Glenn might have wished for. I feel it's a decision best left to those who knew him best, and I know I certainly am not in a position to judge.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I don't pretend to know Don, but he doesn't seem like a guy who talks a lot about his feelings with people, unless he's doing so in his lyrics. Thus, I think the dedication and oblique statements about a "hard year" were actually big steps for Don. I agree that they were definitely heartfelt.

Also, I don't blame Don for how poorly this is being managed. It's not his job to worry about PR or do damage control.

For the record, if it had been Don who'd passed away first, I would still think the "Eagles" as a band should be retired and any future projects mounted under another banner. Can anyone here picture Glenn putting on an Eagles show without Don Henley? I sure as hell can't.

PS MaryCA, I have no idea what went wrong with the post order, but I fixed it manually.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten