Page 12 of 166 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Totally agree that fans aren't owed any explanation or rationale for these shows, from Don or anyone else. I'm really surprised how many on here stand in judgment of him for this decision and don't support him.

I'm going to take a stab at his statement: "A rare opportunity presented itself for us to play with some old friends. We think this is a great way to honor our brother Glenn's memory and to keep Eagles songs alive." or something similar.

And, what is this about fans hoping the guys will donate any proceeds to charity - why?? Don't you think the Eagles entity and the guys individually have a strong giving plan in place already, over the past decades? What is it to you if they earn more money doing their job, off of these shows? I just don't get this line of thinking.

Border Desperado

For most of us the main reason we go to work is to earn a paycheck.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

I am absolutely mortified. This seems like nothing more than a cash grab, and I would have thought they had more class than that. It is NOT The Eagles without Glenn. From a business standpoint, it's a no-brainer. Clearly, there are people who will pay to see 3/4 of the band play. From a moral standpoint, it's disrespectful to Glenn's memory, and I'm disappointed in them for agreeing to this. None of them is hurting for money. What would have been nice was Don doing a solo show, and Joe and Timothy joining him for some Eagles songs. I certainly hope they had the decency to confer with Cindy and her children beforehand.

Stuck on the Border

Ultimate Classic Rock has a summary of the story so far and it quotes Henley. I'm assuming they've got it right as it ties in with what I remember. The bolding is mine.
    Last September, Don Henley suggested that “the only way I would consider any kind of reunion, I think, would be with Glenn’s son, Deacon.” But two months later, he admitted that was more a case of him thinking out loud rather than something that was in the works. And he also repeated that they would likely never perform without Glenn. “I don’t see how we could go out and play without the guy who started the band,” he said. “It would just seem like greed or something. It would seem like a desperate thing.”

Read More: Classic East and West: Everything We Know (and Don’t Know) So Far | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/class...ckback=tsmclip
    MC, I'm not sure if anyone is saying that they should make charitable donations but that is a common route for wealthy people to deflect criticisms of greed. Add to that what we know of the band diverting part of the bands profits to various charities and the involvement of individual band members with charities over the years and it doesn't seem a stretch. While I don't know the US tax system, I'll posit that it's more tax efficient for the donations to be made by a corporate entity than by the individuals.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Hi all! Thought I'd check in this morning just to see how everyone was feeling about this subject. I knew it would be a controversial issue and had seen many different opinions on FB regarding it. I've known for over a year how I would feel if this came to be and my opinion hasn't changed in the least. What Dreamer wrote right here sums it up for me and I couldn't have written my feelings any better. But I'm truly happy for all of you who will be attending and are happy about the concerts. Enjoy!

ETA: I also meant to add that I'm extremely curious on the reasoning for doing this. I know there's been much speculation on the why but I'd love to hear it from them tho I know they owe us no explanation of course. I have my theory tho and it saddens me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    First of all, let me begin by saying that I am a life-long Eagles fan and was heartbroken by the loss of Glenn Frey last year. As a fan who has attended several dozen shows over the last decade, it is devastating to know I’ll never see another live performance by my favorite band ever again.

In response to a resumption of the Eagles, it is, no doubt, a very controversial topic. There are some fans who will be elated while others will be repulsed. Both are entitled to their feelings, but let's try to be respectful of both sides.

However, while I haven't responded in this thread up to this point, I can say with certainty that I don’t have to wait for any announcement to know how I feel about this. To be honest, the possibility of the Eagles performing or recording without Glenn causes me much anxiety – the mere thought almost sickens me. I would feel the very same way if this was Don we were talking about. I don’t have to remind anyone that these two men are the only members who were in the band from its inception and are responsible for co-writing and singing most of the band’s hits. I fully support Don, Joe, and Timothy forging on with their solo careers or in collaborative projects with other musicians for as long as they wish to do so. However, there are only three scenarios where I would find a band resumption acceptable:

1. They perform only a handful of shows billed as a tribute to Glenn with possible guests appearances.
    2. They perform only a handful of shows with Deacon filling in for his father.
    3. They perform together occasionally under another name.

But, speaking only for myself, I believe it will reflect very badly on the remaining band members if they choose to continue performing being marketed and billed as the Eagles without Glenn. Can we say the appearance of greed, disrespect, deceit, and poor taste for starters? If this happens, I can definitively say:

HELL NO – I WON’T GO!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Banned

I presume that Don, Joe and Tim are doing these concerts for the same reasons they've played every other Eagles show throughout their careers. Whatever they may be.

There was a time when it'd be unthinkable but how do Frey fans feel about the remaining Eagles playing a track or two with a Virtual Glenn? Assuming that Glenn's wife has no objection, the technology is readily available. I'm not keen.

Let's be real - The line of persons and entities who stand to profit handsomely from the resurrection of the Eagles is quite long. Do I have a problem with that? Not really. After all none of this could/would happen without the approval and consent of Glenn Frey's wife, his business/legal advisors and of course D, T and J. And there you have it. For me, Glenn Frey will always be the Eagles heart and soul. i won't buy a ticket. But I will keep listening to and enjoying his music.

I keep waiting, keep hoping, that Don will make a statement that they won't be performing as the Eagles, that they won't be acting like Glenn's death was just a hiccup and doesn't make any real difference long-term. I keep hoping that they'll brand themselves as something else.

I have already seen some of the tacky pictures accompanying these articles - HOTE photos with Glenn cropped out - and they sicken me, but they represent what this project will be if they call themselves the Eagles without Glenn. He will be airbrushed out of his own band.

For me....

There is no Eagles without Glenn.

If they call themselves the Eagles now.... I don't know what I'll do with this site. I certainly will not move Glenn to "former Eagles" and change the banner to reflect the "new" lineup! **** that!

I have a lot to say, but I'll keep it inside a little longer, until we hear from Don.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I keep waiting, keep hoping, that Don will make a statement that they won't be performing as the Eagles, that they won't be acting like Glenn's death was just a hiccup and doesn't make any real difference long-term. I keep hoping that they'll brand themselves as something else.

I have already seen some of the tacky pictures accompanying these articles - HOTE photos with Glenn cropped out - and they sicken me, but they represent what this project will be if they call themselves the Eagles without Glenn. He will be airbrushed out of his own band.

For me....

There is no Eagles without Glenn.

If they call themselves the Eagles now.... I don't know what I'll do with this site. I certainly will not move Glenn to "former Eagles" and change the banner to reflect the "new" lineup! **** that!

I have a lot to say, but I'll keep it inside a little longer, until we hear from Don.
    Yes, Soda. Thank you. I am with you on this as you know & will also restrain myself from commenting too much, although this is partly based on my own current personal circumstances. Life is too short.

I found an update but NO official statement.

Frankly I find the speculation in the article as to who might stand in for Glenn downright shameful.

The real question is how do you replace someone who is irreplaceable and why would you even try?

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/class...-fleetwood-mac
    Last edited by Dawn; 03-12-2017 at 10:35 PM.