Page 16 of 166 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Was reading some chatter on the metal message board I post on that Bob Seger will be joining them for the festivals. Apparently, Bob has been teasing some sort of big announcement for almost a month now.

Stuck on the Border

If Bob Seger is part of it, there's no chance that Glenn would be forgotten. No that he'd be forgotten anyway, but Bob's link with the band is through his friendship with Glenn and he has continued to speak of Glenn over the last year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    why aren't we getting clarification or confirmation from the band members or it's management (ie. Irving)?
    I'm sure the band will want to make such an important announcement united, which is impossible with Don in Australia. Once he returns, I expect a press conference will take place, as the tickets go on sale.

Maybe it would be a big enough topic for the main page then.

If Seger is involved, I hope he's one of several guests. He's not a harmony singer, is he?

Stuck on the Border

Most of the backing musicians sing harmony so possibly a featured lead singer would not need to sing harmony. However, including several featured guests would be one way to avoid the impression of "replacing" Glenn and would it seem like this was a special event rather than a warm-up for the next Eagles tour. My feeling is that treating these shows as exceptional would not hurt the legacy, but a tour would.

Going back to an earlier comment, I hate the idea of a "virtual" Glenn on stage. Photos or even video footage without music might work (thinking of Joe's tribute) but the actual music has to be played live. Otherwise, they may as well lip-synch.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

That's interesting about Bob possibly being involved. I could see that and him, Timothy, and Don (or other guests) singing lead on Glenn's lead vocals songs. I agree that after thinking more on it I'm a bit more ok with it that it's just so far these two festival appearances and not a full tour. I agree with what Dreamer said comparing it to how the Beatles never got back together after John was killed and it was why I was so shocked when this news came out. I figured they never would but again it's their decision. And I agree with UTW that having guests would make this also seem more of a tribute as well as a festival with the other bands, one for the East Coast and another for the West Coast.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Border Troubadour

I have to say I've been trying to keep my counsel reading this thread these last few days but it's been very hard. I am absolutely furious at some of the negative comments towards Don. There hasn't been an official statement yet and there won't be until he finishes his tour of Australia and NZ. If he came out now then the whole tour would be undermined because all the headlines and press would be focused on the re-union. And yes, I know that that's what people are talking about anyway but can't we at least see what's been planned before we denegrate it. For all we know, Cindy Frey watched Bob Seger's enthusiastic performance at the KCH and persuaded Don et al that Glenn would have wanted the show to go on - and why wouldn't she? I'm darn sure that if the shoe was on the other foot then Glenn supporter's would 'understand' the wish of the band to carry on whatever name they choose. And yes, I am biased but so is everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post

If it happens, I hope there will be more recognition of Glenn than the rather perfunctuary acknowledgement that Don has given in his solo shows. "This is for Glenn" and singing a song that he was always going to sing just wouldn't cut it. As for performing Glenn's songs, it would be appropriate to include a few.

And UTW this is way below the belt. If you had been where I was standing directly in front of Don thanking the people for their support for 'a tough year' you wouldn't call it tokenistic which is what you're suggesting. Don has always kept his counsel and no-one has any right to question his feelings just because he hasn't displayed enough emotion for your liking.

And yes, I am finished with The Border. I'm sick of the clear demarcations that have developed since Glenn died. He was a great man, singer and performer but not a saint. If Don, Joe and Timothy want to get back together then they are entitled to - they don't need the money but maybe they need the fans and the music and Glenn would've been the first one to recognise that.

The Beatles had gone their seperate ways for years before John Lennon died so it's not the same thing at all.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I've been reading other discussions and comments in a variety of places on the Internet trying to get a read on what fans are thinking and feeling and yes, I have seen remarks highly critical of Don Henley some telling him he's not the Eagles and should retire. I don't take that in the literal sense but rather an expression of disapproval for the Eagles name being used to further what looks like a self serving agenda and money grab. Can't say I blame anyone for feeling that way given the lack of transparency and failure of an official announcement to end the rampant speculation and misinformation.

Should Henley retire the band is a fair question only time will tell/answer.
    I've read online criticism about the band that goes back years, based on the same complaints: "greedy" "money grab" "self-serving" "why don't these guys hang it up and go away already" etc. It's nothing new. There was even an article in The Onion years ago poking fun at the band for "threatening" to go back on tour and record a new album. I don't think performing a couple of dates this summer is going to make much difference when it comes to their legacy or image. Unfortunately, it has been tarnished for a long time now for a variety of reasons.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I've read online criticism about the band that goes back years, based on the same complaints: "greedy" "money grab" "self-serving" "why don't these guys hang it up and go away already" etc. It's nothing new......... I don't think performing a couple of dates this summer is going to make much difference when it comes to their legacy or image. Unfortunately, it has been tarnished for a long time now for a variety of reasons.
    Amen! Delilah

I had just moved to Los Angeles when the proverbial, you know what, hit the fan with respect to Henley's lifestyle choices: Under-aged girls and illegal, mind alterating and mood altering substances. Their imagine, at the time as outlaw gentlemen, was definitely called into question; if nothing else.

Then fast forward thirty years or so and Randy Meisner wife splatters her brains all over the place in a tragic accident involving a closet and a shotgun. It was ruled an accident but neither one of them, from the pictures in the press, looked "normal." They looked like they belonged on skid row not a home in the hills or wherever they lived at the time. Two lost souls is the image that they conveyed to me. So very sad.

I would think being thought greedy a vast improvement over the stuff delineated above since greed can be explained away as something kindda hardwired into us by either genetics or experience (e.g. Fear there is not enough to go around turns some people into horders.)

Listen, I live in a glasshouse myself, so I'm not throwing stones. I'm throwing out the notion that "often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key." Change is scary but inevitable. Unlock your resistance. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Que Sera Sera!

Stay Tuned!
    CarolC

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by carol7lynn View Post
    Amen! Delilah

I had just moved to Los Angeles when the proverbial, you know what, hit the fan with respect to Henley's lifestyle choices: Under-aged girls and illegal, mind alterating and mood altering substances. Their imagine, at the time as outlaw gentlemen, was definitely called into question; if nothing else.

Then fast forward thirty years or so and Randy Meisner wife splatters her brains all over the place in a tragic accident involving a closet and a shotgun. It was ruled an accident but neither one of them, from the pictures in the press, looked "normal." They looked like they belonged on skid row not a home in the hills or wherever they lived at the time. Two lost souls is the image that they conveyed to me. So very sad.

I would think being thought greedy a vast improvement over the stuff delineated above since greed can be explained away as something kindda hardwired into us by either genetics or experience (e.g. Fear there is not enough to go around turns some people into horders.)

Listen, I live in a glasshouse myself, so I'm not throwing stones. I'm throwing out the notion that "often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key." Change is scary but inevitable. Unlock your resistance. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Que Sera Sera!

Stay Tuned!
    CarolC
    If you wish to believe this you have every right to do so. However the underlying implication of this & other posts of yours seems to me of 'liberation'. Glenn Frey is gone. Now they're free.

Glenn Frey was my favourite member of the Eagles. I see no reason why this alleged 'change' had to occur. I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. All I know is that Glenn Frey is not part of it. Hence I really want nothing to do with it. I will follow the solo careers of Henley, Walsh & Schmit. That's all.

By the way in answer to DD there has been virtually no criticism of Henley in this thread that I can see, just discussion of what has been said about him elsewhere. As for the claim that people think Glenn is a 'saint' this has never been stated at all. Irreplaceable, yes. A saint, no.

Quote Originally Posted by carol7lynn View Post
    Amen! Delilah

Stay Tuned!
    CarolC
    As a huge Randy fan, I could have done without the graphic description of what no doubt was the most painful day of his life. Seriously.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...