Page 38 of 166 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Some people here seem to suggest that it's better that they continue performing without Glenn than to let the Eagles music die. Does this mean the Eagles music will die a few years from now, when they really can't play live anymore? So they only have a few more years to desperately keep the Eagles music alive? If so, I don't agree. (The) Eagles's musical legacy is big enough by now to survive without live performances by the band.
    Pardon the expression (or not) but this is right on the money.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

I'm going to return to this site just once to post on this matter. What a small, pitiful move by small, pitiful men. All we ever heard for months after Glenn Frey's death was how the Eagles were finished, and now this. Sounds as though Azoff & Henley just want a big, final payoff before they ride away into the sunset. By this logic, my long-held(prior to last year) desire for an Emerson, Lake, & Palmer re-union can now take place without either Keith Emerson or Greg Lake. Mind blowing, and not in a good way.

I can't respect any of the surviving Eagles any longer. The music they did as a band and solo from 1971—2016 will always be timeless and a sound that holds a special place in my heart, but they're all pretty much musically dead to me now. Any future music from them as a band or solo will be encased in that corporatistic, greedy sheen that turns me off to so much of modern pop music. Opportunistic money-grabbers, or pretty much the way Felder presented them in his book. They're no better than Elvis Impersonators at this point. Then again, at least the impostors do their routine with heart and soul.

Furthermore, I don't have any patience for Eagles band partisans who think this is in any way all right(as opposed to those who have simply accepted the reality of this taking place). How do you justify white-outing the founding member from the picture in the name of money? Are you really this hard-up for good music from this band? As good as the Eagles were(and I do mean WERE), you do hopefully know there are other bands out there. Maybe not as good as the Eagles, but they do exist. The Drifters/Temptations route will not do wonders for this band's legacy, something which I'd once thought was important to Azoff/Henley.

I'd hope one of the other members has the fortitude and presence of mind to sue the other members and Irving Azoff for the wrongful usage of the name, in much the same way Doors drummer John Densmore(curious what he'd make of all this) did when Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger tried to re-form that band in the early 2000's under the name “THE DOORS(of the 21st Century).” I know Schmit and Walsh will do as they're told, Meisner's probably too ill, and Felder's probably wanting in on this whole thing, so perhaps Bernie Leadon could emerge as a hero in all this. Don't know, but perhaps hope springs eternal.

“For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.”—1 Timothy 6:10 NIV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rR8AOvVi2I

3...2...1...out...
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Soda – Your post nails it for me. I feel exactly the same way as you. For me, Glenn’s death was the end of the Eagles and, yes, the end of an era.

While there is little doubt that Joe and Timothy never had the power that Glenn and Don had in the band, I don’t buy the argument at all that they were mere minions with no voice. If that were true, why did the band bother having a meeting each January to discuss their plans? Why didn't they just send Joe and Timothy an email outlining the band’s plans for the year? I believe that if any one of them had wanted to bow out of this reunion, then the plan would have fell apart. So, they all have to own the decision and the appearance of the greed, fraud, and disrespect that goes with it.

I also have read several people saying that performing is in their blood and it’s something that they all just have to do as a justification for why they are doing this. I can’t take issue with that because I really don’t know how they feel. So, assuming this is true, then these guys have unlimited options of artists they could collaborate with. Additionally, they could use the Eagles brand to make money in many ways without performing as such. But, while they could find lots of other admirable avenues to unleash their creative impulses, none of them would have been as lucrative as the one they chose. So, yeah, not surprising that they opened themselves up to lots of criticism.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thumbs up Re: Eagles.... 3.0

As a long time Eagles fan, I find all this arguing very sad.
    This message board should be about celebrating the Eagles and not criticising Don and others when none of us know the true facts.
    Yes the ticket prices are too high, but it is a case of supply and demand.
    At the end of the day it is a music concert and everyone can choose to go or not.
    I have said before that without Glenn, the Eagles will obviously never be the same again and his talent, personality, musicianship and humour will be sorely missed.
    A legal ruling many years ago said that a band could still call themselves by the band's original name as long as there was at least one original member still in the band so the Eagles are perfectly entitled to call themselves Eagles.
    Don's solo tour with a 15 piece band barely breaks even as Don says so I don't think it's just about the money.
    I would like to think that Cindy has given her blessing for the Classic and if Deacon joins in then that would be great.
    When you get to the level of the Eagles's status, it's not just playing for a few dollars in a small venue, it becomes a multi million dollar entity with a huge amount of roadies and others on the payroll. The same goes for Springsteen, Rolling Stones etc.
    I just believe we should just chill out and savour the fact we can still see/hear some great music that we grew up on.
    If Don, Joe and Timothy completely retired there would be a big gap left to fill and to my mind there are no current/new bands who could ever come near the standard of the Eagles.
    The Classic has provided this message board with a good level of discussion and I hope the Board will continue to exist for a long time to come.
    Thanks Soda and see Don in Dallas- wish I could!!

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Some people here seem to suggest that it's better that they continue performing without Glenn than to let the Eagles music die. Does this mean the Eagles music will die a few years from now, when they really can't play live anymore? So they only have a few more years to desperately keep the Eagles music alive? If so, I don't agree. (The) Eagles's musical legacy is big enough by now to survive without live performances by the band.
    If you wish to put it like that, then the clear either/or of alive/dead isn't a good analogy as the music won't be fine until it suddenly passes away. There will be no sudden cut-off where the music 'dies' as there is for a living organism, in this analogy it's more shades of grey. As one of the biggest bands of the 1970s (yes, their career did extend past this) then the music will in some way 'live forever' in the same way that the most important musical artsts of the 1670s are still known now.) However, if Eagles are out there playing to festivals etc. then the music will be more 'alive' and reach more people than it would if the Eagles never play again. I'm sure there will be people who hear Eagles at those concerts and become fans, or become interesting in the band after seeing publicity. Hence, continued touring will keep the music more alive (in shades of grey) than what would happen if they hung up their spurs and never played again. And if they didn't play again, the music will be less live. (As in living, not live performance.)

(The following is a more general comment, not specifically addressing Chaim's post)

I do think the amount of vitriol aimed at Eagles and the seeming assumptions that the concerts happening is down to base motivations is unfair. I understand that people are hurting, and that expressing of that hurt is not unexpected. But, I do think that much of what is being expressed is unfair and unreasonable.

If this was a band where one person is dominant and the others just hangers on (at least artistically) then for the band to continue without the lynchpin would be a bit off. (E.g. Guess Who with none of the original singers and writers). But, Don H was an equal contributor with Glenn to some aspects of the band such as songwriting (count the credits on LRooE), and more so in terms of lead vocals. Tim & Joe both contributed songs and lead vocals. Again, how much 'Eagles' we have left is shades of grey, not an either/or, but there is enough of the band left such that continuing in some form is not unreasonable.

I think the biggest question we should ask is what would Glenn want? We don't know that. Perhaps nobody knows that. We have one comment which indicates that Glenn could envisage an Eagles without him. But, I don't see that as a serious statement, but an off-the-cuff comment without serious thought. I can only put myself in Glenn's shoes and try to think what he would want (which I don't claim that I can do with any reliability or accuracy), but I feel that if I was him, I would want the band to continue, and to continue playing the songs that Glenn wrote.

There are people who have made no secret of their upset at the band continuing. And people have every right to be upset and to express that opinion. However, many posts seem to want to show this not just as a personal subjective opinion or personal emotions, but as an objective (that everyone should agree with) moral outrage. I don't agree with that. I believe that the remaining band members have every moral right to continue if that's what they decide. Fans have the individual right to be upset about that, but I don't think that launching extensive personal attacks on the members and making the worst possible assumptions about their motivations is fair.

Personally I don't need any more info and/or statistics to enlighten me on just how lucrative classic rock concerts and festivals are but others may find this recent article originally published in the Wall Street Journal quite informative. Frankly it's been abundantly clear to me since day one what the Eagles reunion is all about. What I did not know or at least fully appreciate is how the true value of fans to classic rock bands and promoters is measured: Age and Spendable Income. Older is better baby boomers tend to have more money then their kids-turned-fans raised on classic rock. Makes sense but I still resent how expensive it's become to be a classic rock fan no matter what your age. Maybe it's time for me to retire as a fan and invest my spendable income more wisely.

Twilight of the Rock Gods

http://us.vocuspr.com/ViewAttachment...ZOryYvI6uCQ%3D

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Generally renumeration is a factor in any large scale concert or tour. Is there anyone who believes that money wasn't a factor when Glenn agreed to the first "Hell Freezes Over" reunion. Remember the changes in the way that finances were divided? It's not unreasonable for artists who play concerts to be paid for doing so.

However, if it were only money that was involved, then why would they be working on new material and a new album? A new Eagles album will not significantly change their income. Particularly since any time they spend on it would easily be more lucratively spent replaying the old hits to massive audiences.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    If you wish to put it like that, then the clear either/or of alive/dead isn't a good analogy as the music won't be fine until it suddenly passes away. There will be no sudden cut-off where the music 'dies' as there is for a living organism, in this analogy it's more shades of grey. As one of the biggest bands of the 1970s (yes, their career did extend past this) then the music will in some way 'live forever' in the same way that the most important musical artsts of the 1670s are still known now.) However, if Eagles are out there playing to festivals etc. then the music will be more 'alive' and reach more people than it would if the Eagles never play again. I'm sure there will be people who hear Eagles at those concerts and become fans, or become interesting in the band after seeing publicity. Hence, continued touring will keep the music more alive (in shades of grey) than what would happen if they hung up their spurs and never played again. And if they didn't play again, the music will be less live. (As in living, not live performance.)
    I don't understand what you're saying to me in the beginning of this post, but earlier you said "I'm not sure what will happen at the concerts. But, I do believe that having something left of Eagles (which is what I interpret this to be, not full Eagles) is better than having nothing left and the music dying."

All I'm saying is that if they didn't perform without Glenn, I don't agree that the situation would be as bad as "having nothing left and the music dying". Whether music "dying" or "being alive" is a good or bad way to put it has nothing to do with my point.

I don't disagree with what you say in the latter half of this post I quoted. But what you (and perhaps some others - I don't usually remember who said what ) said earlier painted a more grim picture IMO.

Glenn Frey was never pretentious about song power or making money from records, touring, merchandise, etc. He also was keenly aware and appreciative of Eagles fans and their expectations and worked hard to meet those expectations. We know from the documentary how focused Glenn was on perfection and how having kids and a loving supportive wife helped to shape his perspective enabling him to continue touring and traveling to places they'd never been. IIRC prior to his death Glenn was actively involved in developing a musical production of Hotel California. Hopefully that is still in the works. As far as the Classic just because the Eagles have the right to perform doesn't give them immunity from criticism or even distain.

Stuck on the Border

It's all very mixed up. I think emotionally, a lot of fans aren't ready to move on because they (we) feel there should be some kind of tribute to Glenn that is shared with fans. Perhaps what is particularly upsetting is that Don, Joe, Timothy and Irving are moving to the next stage without giving us that tribute.