Page 53 of 166 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Actually Don was in England this week to accept an award and he was on stage with Bono yesterday. That's what I posted.
    Shun, you areally not alone in being a Don fan here, you will always have myself and DivineDon and all the other Don fans. My family life is a bit hectic at the moment with a lot of people really sick and I haven't been posting as much about Don, especially with him being in Oxford this week.

Never feel like an outsider here. I'm not leaving the border at the moment but I'm not happy with the turn some things have taken so I'm going to post some positive things about Don soon to cheer me up !
    Last edited by L101; 04-06-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Actually Don was in England this week to accept an award and he was on stage with Bono yesterday. That's what I posted.
    I missed that post. For a little perspective, I counted up the number of posts in the band threads since 1st March for Don, Glenn and Randy.
    Glenn 34
    Don 17
    Randy 186
    It shows that a band member (current or former) doesn't have to be active to generate posts.

I'm sorry, I'm going off track. It's just that I think there's a general malaise and it's not just down to whose camp you're in.

Border Desperado

I only posted once in this thread, and immediately part of it was misinterpreted by another forum member, but I just let things be and didn't post any further.

Having time to reflect, I can see all sides to this situation. Most important of all,.I realize there are many things we don't know and maybe never will. For example, perhaps Glenn's family feels like they have closure from the private memorial and KCH and do not want any more tributes. Just a guess. Could be completely wrong.

But the tone indeed is getting hostile. Why would anyone take a swipe at AT? This is not the first time I have seen it and it's troubling. He is not here to stir the pot or play devil's advocate. He encourages thought provoking discussions and IMO has no intention of trying "to win" anything. He has tried to keep people calm from the start when the rumours first came out of the 3 getting back together and from his posts he has tried to provide some rationale for their actions, perhaps in an attempt to soothe the Glenn fans who are so devastated. He has really been a voice of reason in this circus and to turn on him of all people shocked me.

Shun, I am glad you have some appreciation for what us former Eagles fans have felt. Thank you. Although I realize this type of situation is of course different with the unfortunate passing of Glenn.

Soda, I truly hope you find comfort and peace soon and thank you for all you do. But if this is going to be a Glenn board where FP, you, and the other Glenn worshippers dictate everything and those of us that mention the "Remnants" or the former undesirable "Eagles", then why have an Eagles board at all? Make it an homage to Glenn and be happy.
    Last edited by VillageGirl; 04-06-2017 at 02:07 PM.

I don't think what's happening with the Eagles reuniting is cool at all. It smacks of a blatant money grab and frankly after 14 months of thinking the Eagles were finished only to have them reunite in time to headline Azoff's mega classic rock endeavor ... Well ... I think there's no question this has been in the works for. awhile. (Think Desert Trip 2016)

The Border will continue per Soda's wishes and in accordance to her criteria. For me, that's more than fine and I would hope people would understand and appreciate her reasoning. To those who are upset with her decision and prefer to leave she has reached out and explained if you change your mind the door is always open.

Touring is where the money is but realistically where do the Eagles go from here? Will they try for one more album? Doubtful.
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-06-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Soda--thank you for not giving up on the board just yet. This band still has a lot of fans, not just active members but inactive members and non-members. The board is such a valuable resource for information and insight--I would hate to see posts deleted, threads shut down, etc. But of course that is entirely up to you. It never occurred to me to have Glenn removed from the banner.

I believe socio-cultural trends occur in waves and cycles, and I can see a new surge of interest in the Eagles in say, 10-15 years, just to choose a convenient timeline. Where will future fans go to find out more? How will their opinions be shaped and formed? I would think this board would play a large part of that as a historical reference, even if it is no longer active by then. But should it reflect that it remained frozen in time, as of the date of the announcement that the Eagles will be performing without Glenn? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but that is what it seems it will be.

Shun- please don't feel alone. I am a Don fan even though he's not my favorite and his attitude toward and treatment of the former members leaves much to be desired. But I still love his voice and his music and he's a fellow Texan, so I will continue to support him as a fan. Searching out his videos on YT is how I re-discovered and fell for the Eagles last year. I don't post in his thread much but I do read them although I don't always have time to look at videos.

FWIW, I will not use the demeaning term "remnants" to refer to Don, Joe and Timothy. I use the term "former Eagles" here as a matter of convenience to refer to Bernie, Don F and Randy (and b/c that is consistent with how the board is structured) but from my perspective, they are all Eagles, period.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    For a little perspective, I counted up the number of posts in the band threads since 1st March for Don, Glenn and Randy.
    Glenn 34
    Don 17
    Randy 186
    It shows that a band member (current or former) doesn't have to be active to generate posts.

I'm sorry, I'm going off track. It's just that I think there's a general malaise and it's not just down to whose camp you're in.
    Woo-hoo! Randy people on a roll!

Soda, thank you for keeping the forums going. We really appreciate you.

Shun, please don't feel like an outsider! I always enjoy reading your posts.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by L101 View Post
    I agree 100% with you MC. I am saddened and disappointed with Sodas post - saddened that she still feels this way and that Glenn is the only one of importance within the Eagles and disappointed that she feels the need to demote Don, Joe and Timothy to mere backup musicians or remnants! Do you know how much of an insult that is to them and to their fans ?!?!

So I think you should do as MC suggests and lock all threads apart from Glenn's - he's the only one that matters after all.
    I used to be a fan of Glenn's before I joined this forum, but over the last year or so, not so much anymore. The attitudes of his "superfans" leave a lot to be desired.

There is no fun on this forum anymore, only spite and jealousy and maybe it's time for this to change

I'm sorry if you think I'm being too harsh, but I've really had enough of all this arguing and disagreements. If we all liked the same thing, the world would be a very boring place.
    You are damn right you are being harsh. The guy DIED. What did you want us to do? We don't have him any more. At least you still have your favourites. We were hurting & we were grieving & this latest slap in the face has reawakened our hurt. For myself, I never even really tried to open up & describe how great a loss it was, and I still cannot do it. That makes me feel sad & inadequate. I am very disappointed that you think less of the man because of the way his fans felt about his death.

I can be harsh too, and I'm afraid this deserves it. I will not dignify F50's last effort with a response.

I do not believe that Soda (or myself for that matter) thinks Glenn was the only Eagle of any importance, but she does believe that the Eagles do not exist without him. Just as they would not exist without Henley. The term 'remnants' in no way means 'backing musicians'. It means what it says. The remaining members of a band whose founding member has died, who for some inexplicable reason have decided that they wish to continue without him even though his personality, voice, musical talent and leadership skills will be absent. Soda has done a great deal to promote the careers of the other three & it is unfair to make such claims.

I support Soda's continuation of this board & sites & I fully support her reasoning in terms of referring to the band as a thing of the past.

My own situation however is very difficult. As some know I have had serious health issues of my own to deal with. In fact I was first told of this train of events when I was in hospital. For my own peace of mind I believe it would be better for me to disengage from the forthcoming events, which I have already stated I cannot support. It seems now extremely unlikely that there will be any tribute to Glenn or any posthumous release of his music and therefore from that viewpoint there will be nothing for me to discuss. So I will remain a member of this board & continue to read it but I find it very unlikely that I will post. I would prefer the members who support this to be left alone to talk about it without people like me bringing them down. You may find that hard to believe, but I do feel like this. The first paragraph was a final attempt to let off steam and will not occur again. So for the present at least, that's all.

Glenn Frey 1948 - 2016
    Eagles 1971- 2016
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-06-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Actually, FP, it looks like most people here agree with you, if you look at it in terms of the percentage of posters rather than the percentage of posts. For instance, just because a few people such as Annoying Twit post a great deal doesn't mean that their opinion is the dominant one. It's just that they view this as a debate they hope to "win", so they keep going round and round and round... but for me, there is no debate, and there is certainly no winner.

As for the board continuing... I've made my decision. Yes, it will.

It contains years of posts, including posts that are in memory of Glenn. I'm not going to delete them. Plus, I still want to talk about them as they were. I will continue to pay the bills and maintain the board as well as the sites, which I now view as an archive.

However, I will not change anything. As far as I'm concerned, the Eagles are over. To me, the Remnants do not count. People can talk about them here, talk about their shows here, sure. I won't stop them. I'll even facilitate it in terms of creating show threads and such.

However, Eagles Online Central will not be updated and this board's construction will not be changed. Glenn will not be removed from the banner. He will not be relegated to "Former Eagles."

That's the way I'm going to handle it.

I know my approach won't please everyone; indeed, it may not please anyone. I expect to receive some criticism, and I'm sure there will be issues down the road, but I'll just deal with them as they come the best I can.
    It pleases me immensely..thank you!

I am a mewer Eagles fan so I value everyone else's opinon greater then my own. When i first started being an Eagles Fan I did not think to highly of Glenn and Don. My first experience of being an Eagles fan is through the History Of The Eagles doc. For a first impression I did not think to highly of Glenn and Don to me the way they presented themselves to me was offf putting. But reading through these threads and all of your opinons turned my view on them 180 degrees and think of them more highly. I never saw the Eagles live and I am not sure about Don Tim and Joe continuing. I will make a decidion on to support it or not when the shows happen and reviews/videos come in. The guys didnt change any profile on Social Media or the Website that removed Glenn from the picture so that says a lot that they care. I have two personal connections to the band. 1 I share a birthday with Joe and 2 A friend from school is the Step Nephew of Bernie through his Dads Wife. So I dont consider one member more then the rest. I consider them all equal and are free to do what ever they want as long they dont completly erase another members contribution from the face of the Earth.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

I will always be a Don fan, and I will always support his solo work, and see him in concert if he comes to my area. I'm disappointed with his decision to carry on as the Eagles without Glenn, as it smacks of greed, and goes against everything he previously said. I also respect Soda's stance, and understand that she, as well as others, are very hurt, and don't particularly care to be a part of anything any of them do at the moment. I've pushed things away when I've been hurt, and revisited them when I've cooled off. Give everyone a chance to cool off.