Page 127 of 166 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1651

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

I try to stay out of arguments, so haven't said much here. Lots of different opinions here and most are valid. I hope I haven't judged anyone for seeing or not seeing them. I'm not going back and reading through, but I don't think I have. Please tell me if so. I think it's each one's prerogative. Personally, I don't have the desire to see them without Glenn, but I am very curious about their shows. I hope they do well if this is what they want to do.

I've only seen them a few times, maybe 5 or 6 at the most. I got to see them on the Hotel California tour in 1976. I think we spent $25 each for our tickets (I think that seems high for then, so I could be wrong. Maybe it was $12.50 each) and they were in nosebleed! Six of us got together and drove to St. Louis (3 hours). My husband and I were young and poor, but we scraped our money together to go. Living in rural Missouri the only connection we had with any kind of concert tours was through Rolling Stone magazine!

20 years went by.......My brother lived close by and called us one evening to come over as he had MTV (we didn't) and the Eagles were going to be on! They got back together??!! We couldn't believe it! We watched the HFO show that night and hoped they would tour again. We didn't even know they had toured for it! By this time we had kids in high school and thinking about college. We were still poor, just making ends meet, both of us working full time and trying to give our kids everything they needed for high school like Air Jordan basketball shoes, class rings, prom dresses and tuxedos, homecoming formals, letter jackets, graduation parties, all of the stuff all the teenagers needed (wanted!). There was no money for expensive concert tickets. We never got to see them again until 2001! From 1976 to 2001 we listened to their music faithfully and hoped that, someday, we would get to see them again. Finally, it happened! We saved up enough for those tickets to see them in Ames, Iowa in 2001. 5 hour trip, but Saturday night! At the venue, we even traded up our tickets to a scalper for an additional $75 for second row way over on Timothy's side! To have the money to do that was unbelievable! I was in heaven the whole night!

Another thing to consider is the trip. We are 2 hours from St. Louis, the nearest big city. Hotel rooms and food are also a big factor. Time off from work too. Lots to consider!

I still couldn't believe that they continued to tour every couple years and we managed to go, usually, once each time. Kids were in college by then. I even saved for a year or so to buy the VIP package for the Farewell I tour for us. I think it was $899 each for that! Still feel guilty for that and I would never do it again, but once was heaven! But to go more than that, it just wasn't in the budget! Mortgage payments, 2 kids college bills, there just wasn't enough to go around to do it more, although we wished we could.

And now, Glenn is gone and it's just not the same without him, for me. I'm sure they are wonderful and I'm glad for you that are going and enjoying it, but I just can't.

And, I know, for me, it was hard to admit that I just couldn't afford to go here. The ones that have gone many, many times, I envy you. But, that's the way it was and still is. We work too hard for our money and to have what we have to be so frivolous. There are priorities. (Not saying anyone is being frivolous, just for me!) I would love to, but.........

We have been able to see quite a few other bands during this time and I'm thankful for that. So shouldn't I have used that money for Eagles shows? No, I'm sorry, there were other bands we wanted to see that we couldn't afford to see back in the day. We had to share our money with them too! Usually once a year we went to a concert.

Don't know if this matters to anyone, just giving my 3 cents!
    Last edited by Brooke; 08-16-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Brooke - A wonderful story which I am sure is the same for most people. I saw them twice and would have loved to see them more. However, as I stated in my earlier post, things just did not work out. That happens and no one should feel they have the need to apologize. I am happy for all the people here who were able to see "our guys" numerous times. And, I also understand why people want to see them now. I feel like Brooke, Soda and others who do not wish to see this incarnation of the group. However, I loved reading all the reviews and seeing all the pictures. I wish Don, Joe and Tim the best. I have never heard anything but nice things about Vince and wish him the best too. Deacon is a very talented kid who has a bright future ahead of him. Have lost my parents many, many years ago I understand his desire to honor his father and think from what I have seen, he has done so.

Just a little bit more of my two cents on my take on things.

Out on the Border

It's interesting to see what bands do when key members pass on. While they obviously aren't recognized on the global scale like the Eagles are, the Monkees have always been on my list of favorite musical acts, too (hey, they made some great pop music, as recently as last year!), and there is a very vocal minority of fans who live by the "no Davy Jones = no Monkees!" mantra. They seem to resent that the act lived on. Meanwhile, they've had several successful tours with returning member Mike Nesmith and put out a great new album in 2016. They made no effort to replace Jones, though, as the Eagles have with Deacon and Vince. I think the Eagles had to at least try to replace Frey, though.

Anyway, just another example of a band that lost one of their singers, that popped into mind. And, another similarity is that Jones was the 2nd-best singer in The Monkees - Micky Dolenz remains one of pop's greatest voices, much like Mr. Henley! A more concrete link between Monkees/Eagles: Linda Ronstadt's first hit, with the Stone Poneys, was Nesmith's "Different Drum." And we all know the Eagles' history with Ms. Ronstadt.

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    Also (yeah, I said I wasn't going to add much, but I guess that didn't work out),while this is a thread for everyone to say what they think, IMHO, it's better not to judge those who hold opposite opinions. The moderators may hold a different view, but I think it's better to pass judgment on this incarnation of the band, but not on the fans that want to go to see them.
    Now, let me tell you what the supporters of this new Eagles really want.

They want to take over this message board and censor those who are against it, some who have been on this board for much longer, and turn it into a one sided view. They want to keep it positive in all threads and look at this new Eagles as a splendid thing. They don't want us to even have one thread where we can say how we don't like this new Eagles band and they want this thread to go bye-bye. They want us to stop talking about how we don't like it because we, in this one thread they can just ignore, are outspoken against it. That's what they want.

That, in my book, is pure censorship and trying to silence the opposing party.

I don't go in the positive threads and try to tell ya'll how bad this is, so I'd REALLY appreciate it if we could carry on here without someone telling us how wrong we are. Otherwise I think it's fair game to have these discussions in the other thread. If people don't stop coming in here to bash those of us who don't like it, I think I'm going to start posting in all the appropriate threads about the new band.

Ya'll told me in a roundabout way to stay out of the review and anticipation threads and I have. Yet some people here think they can come in the only thread where we can speak our minds and try to shut us down even in here. Nuh-uh.

For your information, Austin. I couldn't even pay for tickets that were 80 or 90 dollars (which some of their tickets were that price and I didn't mind being in the nosebleeds) and then on top of that. I have to pay for hotel, gas, food and spending money. I barely go to any concerts because I couldn't afford to pay for tickets even if it was cheap. It wasn't enough time for me to save when the concert is two months away especially when you barely can pay your bills during that time. I was making nothing up until now and I was living paycheck to paycheck. I can do that now. I wasn't going to pay 200 or 300 dollars or whatever how much it is to have center seats for tickets. I would had gotten the cheaper price even if it was in the nosebleeds. I really don't care about VIP because it looks like to me its a waste of money and you don't meet none of the Eagles.

I really don't know why I have explain my situation to anybody that is still questioning my reason of why I couldn't go before Glenn died and that's what I'm talking about. Being judged and its soo wrong. I'm getting tired of this. I know you don't care about my situation and at this point I don't expect you to care. Other people had the same problem that I had when Glenn was alive, but since I'm ok of seeing them after Glenn died and not the people who doesn't want to see the lineup, I and others are getting picked on and judged. I'm standing by my story and if nobody believes it then fine. I wanted to see the guys the following year before it was announced Glenn was sick, but it was too late.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    For your information, Austin. I couldn't even pay for tickets that were 80 or 90 dollars (which some of their tickets were that price and I didn't care for nosebleeds) and then on top of that. I have to pay for hotel, gas, food and spending money. I barely go to any concerts because I couldn't afford to pay for tickets even if it was cheap. It wasn't enough time for me to save when the concert is two months away especially when you barely can pay your bills during that time. I was making nothing and I was living paycheck to paycheck. I can do that now. I wasn't going to pay 200 or 300 dollars or whatever how much it is to have center seats for tickets. I would had gotten the cheaper price even if it was in the nosebleeds. I really don't care about VIP because it looks like to me its a waste of money.

I really don't know why I have explain my situation to anybody that is still questioning my reason of why I couldn't go before Glenn died and that's what I'm talking about. Being judged and its soo wrong. I'm getting tired of this. I know you don't care about my situation and at this point I don't expect you to care. Other people had the same problem that I had when Glenn was alive, but since I'm ok of seeing them after Glenn died and not the person who doesn't want to see the lineup, I and others are getting picked on and judged. I'm standing by my story and if nobody believes it then fine.
    Look, I'm sorry for my comments on the whole reasons for going thing...I'm still confused, but I'm not trying to judge you and I'm sorry for that.

But you have to see it from the other side. Some people come in here (Delilah, for one) and try to shut us down in the ONE and ONLY thread we can talk about how we aren't ok with the new band going forward and I feel like we are being silenced. And I'm not ok with that and I'm not sorry for standing up for our right to speak our minds freely. Silence is passive support. And I don't go for that...

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Look, I'm sorry for my comments on the whole reasons for going thing...I'm still confused, but I'm not trying to judge you and I'm sorry for that.

But you have to see it from the other side. Some people come in here (Delilah, for one) and try to shut us down in the ONE and ONLY thread we can talk about how we aren't ok with the new band going forward and I feel like we are being silenced. And I'm not ok with that and I'm not sorry for standing up for our right to speak our minds freely. Silence is passive support. And I don't go for that...
    Okay so your saying that everyone had the chance to see the Eagles with Gleen

How many times have they come to your area and how many times have you seen them?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Now, let me tell you what the supporters of this new Eagles really want.

They want to take over this message board and censor those who are against it, some who have been on this board for much longer, and turn it into a one sided view. They want to keep it positive in all threads and look at this new Eagles as a splendid thing. They don't want us to even have one thread where we can say how we don't like this new Eagles band and they want this thread to go bye-bye. They want us to stop talking about how we don't like it because we, in this one thread they can just ignore, are outspoken against it. That's what they want.

That, in my book, is pure censorship and trying to silence the opposing party.

I don't go in the positive threads and try to tell ya'll how bad this is, so I'd REALLY appreciate it if we could carry on here without someone telling us how wrong we are. Otherwise I think it's fair game to have these discussions in the other thread. If people don't stop coming in here to bash those of us who don't like it, I think I'm going to start posting in all the appropriate threads about the new band.

Ya'll told me in a roundabout way to stay out of the review and anticipation threads and I have. Yet some people here think they can come in the only thread where we can speak our minds and try to shut us down even in here. Nuh-uh.
    I am breaking my three month silence to tell you how much I agree with you and how much I also feel that our side has been silenced. That is why I stopped posting, along with the predicitable sneers that I got whenever I said anything about Glenn.

Soda, you are correct that people may have had valid reasons why they did not see the band before, but I am here to tell you that I agree with what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Okay so your saying that everyone had the chance to see the Eagles with Gleen

How many times have they come to your area and how many times have you seen them?
    Since I've been a fan - probably 3 times. Saw them twice. Once on the LROOE tour and once on the HOTE tour. They also came for the F1 tour but I didn't know of them then.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I am breaking my three month silence to tell you how much I agree with you and how much I also feel that our side has been silenced. That is why I stopped posting, along with the predicitable sneers that I got whenever I said anything about Glenn.

Soda, you are correct that people may have had valid reasons why they did not see the band before, but I am here to tell you that I agree with what you said.
    Thank you FP...

I appreciate the support and feeling like at least 1 person is in my corner.