Page 18 of 166 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

I've no problem with Don, Joe & Timothy doing shows together, or with Bernice & Randy - although I doubt that Randy will join them, given his health problems - but I do have a problem with them calling themselves the Eagles. Yes, I would go to a show, so long as they use a different name.

Maybe it will turn out to be Don with his band at this festival. Who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by timothyswife View Post
    Well said, I haven't given my thoughts on this yet for two reasons...

1. I'm not completely sure which side I take. Both sides present good arguments, and no matter which side I pick it doesn't really matter. In the end it's up to the guys to decide.

2. I would really rather just stay out of it. I tend to have strong opinions and I would hate to offend someone or say stuff that I didn't mean in the heat of an argument.

What a wise young person you are. Bless you.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    For the record, if it had been Don who'd passed away first, I would still think the "Eagles" as a band should be retired and any future projects mounted under another banner. Can anyone here picture Glenn putting on an Eagles show without Don Henley? I sure as hell can't.
    Absolutely.

I think we should all keep this in perspective.
    Whatever happens with Classic East and West, they are just another couple of shows.
    I am just so glad that Don, Joe and Timothy are still performing.
    They are all nearly 70 so I think we should be grateful they didn't retire years ago.
    Glenn said to Bernie after the final HOTE show that this wasn't the end. Indeed they were planning a Hotel California tour.
    Obviously Glenn couldn't foresee the future but he wanted the band to go on.
    If Cindy is fine with it then I see no problem with Don, Joe and Timothy continuing the best band in the world-Eagles.
    It will never be the same without Glenn's great vocals, musicianship and his sense of humour but how many bands are still touring with just one original member?
    I think we should all just relax and see what happens. After all it's only rock and roll but I like it!

Stuck on the Border

My thinking is quite muddled about all this and that probably comes from trying to understand everyone's point of view. Some of my thoughts are contradictory.

Retiring the band would have been a nice gesture. However, if Don, Joe and Timothy want to play together again, I can understand that. It would seem a bit silly to call themselves anything other than "Eagles" as that's what everyone will call them and using the brand will earn them a lot more money. But after all that's been said, particularly by Don, it seems strange to think they can continue without Glenn.

From my fan view, I feel slightly dissatisfield with the lack of a public memorial/tribute to Glenn. I'm not looking for emotion, just words and music, maybe a more comprehensive written tribute on the official website. Something.

In the background, I'm thinking of my disappointment with the way that Bernie and Randy were neglected in the KCH tribute. That leads to thoughts of whether history might be rewritten to marginalise Glenn.

I'm just hoping that when the official statements are made, it's something that works for me.

On a side note, I love that Bob Seger wrote a song about Glenn, that Jack Tempchin is recording a tribute album but best of all is when JD tells a Glenn anecdote before singing a song they wrote together, and the song and stories aren't the same every time.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I would not be adverse to Don Timothy and Joe making music - either together, as pairs or individually. Its their livelihood after all and indeed its the livelihood of the 'hundred or more people who work every night to bring these shows to.....' as Glenn always said. But I'm not happy with the band still being called Eagles like nothing had happened. I'm not comfortable with the idea that Glenn can just be replaced in HIS band like a sub in a football game. And I'm not happy with the shoddy way that this has been presented to the public/ managed. Leaks here and there, media reports on what might or might not happen a deafening silence from Don Henley who si busy touring in Australia....

To me it has money written all over it. In the early 90s Irving wnated his boys back togethjer and he got his way. I'm thinking its the same now. He wants the boys back performing and making him money. I read today in a British publication that the remaining Eagles will earn over $4M for their efforts at these festivals. Maybe when/ if Henley makes a statement about it I will be happier. One side of me is curious to see what will materialise but I just have a strange feeling
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by LuvTim View Post
    What a wise young person you are. Bless you.
    You're so sweet! Thank you.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I don't pretend to know Don, but he doesn't seem like a guy who talks a lot about his feelings with people, unless he's doing so in his lyrics. Thus, I think the dedication and oblique statements about a "hard year" were actually big steps for Don. I agree that they were definitely heartfelt.

Also, I don't blame Don for how poorly this is being managed. It's not his job to worry about PR or do damage control.

For the record, if it had been Don who'd passed away first, I would still think the "Eagles" as a band should be retired and any future projects mounted under another banner. Can anyone here picture Glenn putting on an Eagles show without Don Henley? I sure as hell can't.
    Everyone has had some great comments, but this sums it up pretty good for me.

I really think Irving could have handled this himself when it was leaked. It smells of truth, but the details were not ironed out and he doesn't want to confirm until they are. And the longer we wait, the more it seems to be true.

Personally, if it's just going to be these two shows and not a tour, then I don't think it's that big a deal. Especially if they do SOME kind of mention of Glenn. I think Jackson, JD, or Bob could perform a song of his. I wish they wouldn't use the Eagles name though. Everyone knows who they were. I will not like it at all if they decide to tour as the Eagles. That's just not right and I will not go. I don't mind if one or two of them get together here and there, but would rather just see them do their solo shows as they have been.

I don't think there's a chance in Hell that Randy or Felder will be involved. Randy is ill and well, you know Glenn would have NEVER performed again with Felder. Bernie might be involved since he was along for HotE.

I would also have preferred more of a fans tribute show from them, but they DID have one for friends and family and it doesn't look like we will get one.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

While it's true only two shows have been discussed, it isn't too much of a leap to think that they will be doing more and more, even if not a tour, but more of these "one off x10" shows. And if it's only those two shows, what's so special about East and West? Why not any other place or just a tribute show with only the band on the roster at a specific venue? I think if they do those two, there will be more to come. Mark my words. If Irving can get them to do East and West, there will be more coming along that he'll find a way to get them to do. Or Vegas residencies, or something. Maybe not a full tour, but it's going to be like the potato chip analogy, you can't eat just one (or two in this case). If there will only be two and that's it, you'd think it wouldn't be on a full bill and would be more specific to just the band. My guess is they will be doing more of those festival type things like Desert Trip or Vegas residencies, etc. Just my 2c.

Yeah... it wouldn't stop with two. These festivals are not special events that are once-in-a-lifetime deals; they are massive money making machines and they will be put on regularly until they are no longer profitable.

There will be plenty of similar festivals and opportunities for "special appearances" should they choose to go that route.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten