Page 19 of 166 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Well stated post, WF88. Just to clarify, my posts in this thread have not been intended to judge the upcoming festival shows because I have no idea how they will be billed. As I said previously, if they were done as tribute shows to Glenn, then I would definitely be eager to go. My objection is the remaining members continuing to tour as the ‘Eagles’. And I think Austin nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    All those who know me, know I'm a "Glenn-girl", and have been since about 1976. Most of you know that out of all the artists out there, Don has always been my #2. Consequently, most of posts in this thread are ones I can relate to, on both sides of the coin.

I keep thinking that we don't know the facts. Even with a press release with an official announcement, we aren't going to get all the facts. Our guys just don't operate like that. Everything on here and on the various social media pages for radio stations, etc, I've seen everyone laying this on Don. Yet is it Irving that is running the entire show, literally, as this festival is his baby. Irving and Glenn were great friends, and as far as I know, Cindy and Shelli still are. Irving would know what Glenn's wishes were. What if this is what Glenn wanted? How disrespectful would it be of them not to follow through on it?

I have a hard time believing Irving would go against Glenn's wishes on this. (By his own admission, Don wasn't as close to Glenn in the last few years and so might not be in as good of a position to know what Glenn wanted). Glenn's exact wishes on the matter are likely something we aren't going to get in a press release. I would like everyone to think about this, though. What if it was in reverse? What if we knew as a fact that Glenn wanted something along these lines, and we knew that Irving and Don were refusing to do it? How would we feel about that? Most people tend to feel that not honoring the wishes of the dearly departed is the ultimate sign of disrespect.

I did read the posts about Don and his supposed lack when it came to mentioning Glenn in concert. I can see why people might think that, so I do want everyone here to know that there has been no lack of emotion from him on this. As someone who has been lucky enough to sit in the first couple of rows for three of Don's concerts since Jan. 2016, and in row 6 for another and the Runaway event, to me the emotion has been obvious. More than once the look in his eyes, the emotion, has made me cry (really cry), during NYM and Desperado. I think it's unfair to imply that Don has been blasé about Glenn's death, and I did read it as a criticism of him, which is why I'm posting here and wanting to give my perspective of it.

Lastly, I'll reiterate what I said before. This is two shows, not a tour. Maybe there will be other shows, maybe there won't be. In my mind I leave open the possibility that a few shows here and there is something Glenn might have wished for. I feel it's a decision best left to those who knew him best, and I know I certainly am not in a position to judge.
    And VA, yours are very reasonable and well-stated remarks as well. However, it doesn’t convince me because my feelings about this aren’t based on anyone’s wishes who is associated with the band, including Glenn. The band is absolutely free to proceed however they want, but that doesn’t mean, as a fan, I have to like their decision. I have always said as far as I’m concerned ‘No Glenn or No Don = No Eagles – as least for me. You are correct that we will probably never know what the band’s individual wishes are, but, again, that’s not what really matters to me. The way I see it, the band is bigger than any of the individual members. It’s the band’s legacy that I care most about.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Agreed, Dreamer. I'm not sitting here trying to divine "what Glenn would want" before I form my opinion (although admittedly I find VA's theoretical scenario that Glenn expressed a desire for the Eagles to continue unlikely in light of what Don has said). For me, there is no getting around that one fundamental truth:

There is no Eagles without Glenn Frey.

Nothing anyone can do, nothing anyone wants, will change that. They can call themselves the Eagles (which I still hope they don't), but it won't really BE the Eagles.

In History of the Eagles Glenn wryly commented that in 1980, the Eagles went out with a whimper. I think, if they do continue without Glenn, they will go out with a hollow-chested heave.

I hate the idea of such an inglorious final chapter for this band's history.

Again, I'm still clinging to my hope that they aren't going to bill themselves as the "Eagles"; I have no problem with this if they are simply performing together, and it appears many agree.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

I too have no problem with Don H., Joe and Timothy performing together as many times as they see fit, so long as it isn't billed as the Eagles and it isn't essentially an Eagles gig minus Glenn's input (e.g. say 1/4 Don solo, 1/4 Joe solo, 1/4 TBS solo and 1/4 select Eagles works). For me it is an inescapable face that No Glenn = No Eagles, especially since what causes his absence is his passing.

As for Felder returning, Henley couldn't even say his forename on HOTE. I doubt he'll be welcomed back with open arms despite the events in the intervening years.

And as for what someone said before about Don H's tributes to Glenn during his solo shows being half-arsed, I disagree. Don I don't think is the natural warm and playful orator onstage someone like Glenn was, he's always struck me as rather quiet and blunt whenever he speaks before songs, much like a lawyer or something (that's not a bad thing btw!); and that probably is what makes it come across as a token move whenever he dedicated Desperado to Glenn. I do not doubt for a second every time he has to say that it hurts him. It's the exact symbol of where their 40 year on-off friendship started. It's pretty much synonymous of the Henley-Frey partnership.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I was listening to Sirius Classic Vinyl about 30 minutes ago. They played AG, and then after, the DJ talked about the East and West Coast shows. She said that rumor is Vince Gill will appear (whatever) but what was more interesting was when she said official statements would be out from the Eagles by the end of March. So specific, I wonder if Irving has been reading this board and put that message out. (I mean, not him personally but, you know...)

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Joe Walsh was interviewed on The Craig Ferguson Show on Sirius/XM and was asked about the shows. He said that Don, Timothy, and he were talking about it and will call themselves Eagles Family And Friends. That sounds far better to me then what was being bandied about. Now, to see who the friends are.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy Woman View Post
    Joe Walsh was interviewed on The Craig Ferguson Show on Sirius/XM and was asked about the shows. He said that Don, Timothy, and he were talking about it and will call themselves Eagles Family And Friends. That sounds far better to me then what was being bandied about. Now, to see who the friends are.
    Thanks for the info! I'm still contemplating the name but it seems to be a good compromise and certainly suggests we could very well be seeing Deacon Frey and other family members joining the band as well as friends Jackson Browne, Bob Seger, Vince Gill, etc. making guest appearances.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy Woman View Post
    Is this available online?

There is no way Don Felder will be back, as much as I would have liked him to before Glenn's death. That is a given. If he did, I'd think it'd be poor form on the part of the guys, and thats coming from someone who wished it was different but it would be totally going against Glenn's beliefs and desires.

Stuck on the Border

It's the kind of name that's so obvious that I'm kicking myself that I didn't think of it. It's got "Eagles", it's warm and fuzzy to offset the cold commericalisation, it's inclusive. Instead of "replacing" Glenn, they can bring in a number of people on whose lives he had an impact. I could even see them bringing Randy on stage for the finale encore so he gets to bask in the applause without the stresses of being a featured performer.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I'm still looking for just a bit more confirmation, but with something from Joe this is now on much firmer ground.

In my opinion 'Eagles Family and Friends' is a very nice way of having 'Eagles' in a way but also acknowledging Glenn.