Page 26 of 166 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Here's an apt quote from Ben Fong-Torres when he wrote about Glenn last year.

I find it quite reassuring that Glenn was able to laugh about them continuing without him.
    UTW, with the greatest respect, when that comment was made Glenn didn't know what was going to happen. I think you have over-interpreted it. I can't agree that Glenn making this type of joke means that he wanted them to continue without him.

Banned

Here are my thoughts on the Eagles' resumption. I don't expect this to change the mind of those who are skeptical or disappointed, but everything Eagles related has profound meaning to me, so I considered my feelings carefully and thoroughly. I posted this on Facebook recently.

---

It has been about two weeks since I woke from a brief nap to discover that the Eagles -- THE EAGLES -- would be headlining festival dates in Los Angeles and New York this summer. I felt as if I had to be dreaming.

Since then, I have gone through the five stages of internal conflict. I'm not sure if there are actually five, or more, but I have definitely experienced them all. After Glenn Frey died in January 2016, I was resigned to the idea that I would never see the band perform together again in any form on any stage.

That reality hit me often, especially when I watched Eagles concert videos on YouTube or thought about the 30 times I saw them perform. There is no feeling like the anticipation of an Eagles concert, and the surreal nature of seeing a band who formed before I was born but whose music was with me at every stage of life was never lost on me.

I kept going back because every time I heard them perform, it felt like the first time. I never got tired of Peaceful, Easy Feeling or Lyin' Eyes or Witchy Woman or Heartache Tonight or Desperado. I lived for the opening drum solo in Life's Been Good and Joe Walsh's guitar work on In The City. Each concert was different, but I experienced the same euphoria during all 30.

I never reflected on the band's potential to recapture that, because after Glenn's death I never believed the Eagles would exist again. Over the course of 14 months, I convinced myself that the remaining Eagles' apparent decision to focus on solo work and leave the band behind was the right, honorable decision.

I have changed my mind. The remaining band members -- Don Henley, Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit -- will apparently perform with special guests as Eagles Family and Friends, and I honestly couldn't be more proud. I believe this strikes the perfect balance between honoring Glenn, continuing the tradition and history of the band, and creating a distinction so Glenn's contributions can stand on their own.

Speaking of Glenn, much has been made among Eagles fans about the supposed disrespect the band is committing by continuing without him. I disagree.

What a tribute it is to Glenn that the remaining players in his creation, the Eagles, still want to perform together 45 years later in spite of the acrimony and creative disagreements they endured during the peak years and beyond. Glenn started a band that is so powerful that it can continue without him. It became bigger than any of its parts, and that is his true legacy in music.

Eagles fandom is my only lifelong pursuit, outliving my love of writing, the Cleveland Indians and all of my non-family relationships. Fourteen months ago, I was ready to let it live on through past recordings and performances. Now, maybe I'll experience that anticipation and euphoria again as the Eagles take it to the limit....one more time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Here's an apt quote from Ben Fong-Torres when he wrote about Glenn last year.

They were on "Farewell Tour 1" at the time, and Frey told the audience, "It's a clever ploy by our management. He's plotting 'Farewell VI' right now.'" Off stage, when I asked about that sixth "Farewell" run, he laughed. "I wonder who's going to be playing my part!"
    I find it quite reassuring that Glenn was able to laugh about them continuing without him.
    Thanks for sharing that UtW. Glenn was always the guy with a plan.

As much as I want to support the continuation of Eagles. I don't relish a future with a revolving door of members, eventually including no current members. I'll lose interest when the new music dries up.
    One Day At A Time as Joe's mantra goes.

With the departure of Glenn and the arrival of Trump, I reckon that there are seeds for new material.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    Here are my thoughts on the Eagles' resumption. I don't expect this to change the mind of those who are skeptical or disappointed, but everything Eagles related has profound meaning to me, so I considered my feelings carefully and thoroughly. I posted this on Facebook recently.

---

It has been about two weeks since I woke from a brief nap to discover that the Eagles -- THE EAGLES -- would be headlining festival dates in Los Angeles and New York this summer. I felt as if I had to be dreaming.

Since then, I have gone through the five stages of internal conflict. I'm not sure if there are actually five, or more, but I have definitely experienced them all. After Glenn Frey died in January 2016, I was resigned to the idea that I would never see the band perform together again in any form on any stage.

That reality hit me often, especially when I watched Eagles concert videos on YouTube or thought about the 30 times I saw them perform. There is no feeling like the anticipation of an Eagles concert, and the surreal nature of seeing a band who formed before I was born but whose music was with me at every stage of life was never lost on me.

I kept going back because every time I heard them perform, it felt like the first time. I never got tired of Peaceful, Easy Feeling or Lyin' Eyes or Witchy Woman or Heartache Tonight or Desperado. I lived for the opening drum solo in Life's Been Good and Joe Walsh's guitar work on In The City. Each concert was different, but I experienced the same euphoria during all 30.

I never reflected on the band's potential to recapture that, because after Glenn's death I never believed the Eagles would exist again. Over the course of 14 months, I convinced myself that the remaining Eagles' apparent decision to focus on solo work and leave the band behind was the right, honorable decision.

I have changed my mind. The remaining band members -- Don Henley, Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit -- will apparently perform with special guests as Eagles Family and Friends, and I honestly couldn't be more proud. I believe this strikes the perfect balance between honoring Glenn, continuing the tradition and history of the band, and creating a distinction so Glenn's contributions can stand on their own.

Speaking of Glenn, much has been made among Eagles fans about the supposed disrespect the band is committing by continuing without him. I disagree.

What a tribute it is to Glenn that the remaining players in his creation, the Eagles, still want to perform together 45 years later in spite of the acrimony and creative disagreements they endured during the peak years and beyond. Glenn started a band that is so powerful that it can continue without him. It became bigger than any of its parts, and that is his true legacy in music.

Eagles fandom is my only lifelong pursuit, outliving my love of writing, the Cleveland Indians and all of my non-family relationships. Fourteen months ago, I was ready to let it live on through past recordings and performances. Now, maybe I'll experience that anticipation and euphoria again as the Eagles take it to the limit....one more time.
    Welcome to the Border, Eagle in Kansas! Very well said, and I completely agree. I remember when Mary of Peter, Paul and Mary died. Both Peter and Paul were saddened by her death, and when they decided to tour together, I'm sure they would rather have toured with her, but going on was in no way disrespectful to her. In fact, in some ways it was a tribute to her. It wasn't the same at all, just like Eagles Friends and Family will in no way be the same as the Eagles. But I think Glenn's death has bonded Don, Joe, and Timothy closer together, and ingrained in them that life is short and why not go on touring together because they can, if they enjoy doing so? To me, the fact that Don wants Joe and Timothy there to help him celebrate his 70th birthday says something about the bond that they have. I don't think Joe and Don have ever been close, but they seem to have a great deal of respect for each other professionally, and they know exactly what to expect when performing together.

Don Henley called into one of our classic rock radio stations in the Dallas area on Friday and they played it on air this morning. I was trying to find a link to the interview online but could not find one.

It went something like this... They asked him if he was going to be part of the East Coast/West Coast Festival and he said "that's what they tell me". Nothing else was really said about that. They then brought up his birthday bash in Dallas and spoke about mutual friends that they have that are part of his band. They asked about his special guests and he said there was going to be "a certain blonde-headed witch, this guy named Walsh, with a big nose, and this long haired bass player". All of this said with Mr. Henley's sense of humor.

They then talked about his hometown of Linden and that he is going to be opening a café there with a lady. They asked if he has to use a disguise to go out around Dallas and he said if you count a beard and baseball cap as disguise then yes, he does. He said that he does go to the grocery store and push a cart around the aisles and that people in the Dallas area are very respectful and polite of him.

He seemed to be a great mood and was laughing with the DJ's. He said it was 2:00/2:30am where he was, I failed to catch the name of the city, so I am guessing it was after a concert??

I hope I didn't leave anything out. I'm sure we will be hearing more about this summer when he is back in the states.

Well, "that's what they tell me" is the closest we've gotten to statement from Don yet. Thanks ETG!

I wish he'd give us better clues about the guests at his birthday bash.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Thanks for sharing that UtW. Glenn was always the guy with a plan.

As much as I want to support the continuation of Eagles. I don't relish a future with a revolving door of members, eventually including no current members. I'll lose interest when the new music dries up.
    One Day At A Time as Joe's mantra goes.

With the departure of Glenn and the arrival of Trump, I reckon that there are seeds for new material.
    In that case you should have lost interest in 2008.

I realise I am increasingly alone here but it seems to me that once you start saying that this mythical thing called 'Eagles', the NAME, is more important than the actual individuals who comprised it, you may as well have a tribute band as hinted above.

I find the comment above about Glenn's departure being a 'seed for new material' not very helpful. The implication is that his death is suddenly going to spark what remains of 'Eagles' into doing new work. I don't think so. I also find the whole underlying implication of such posts that Glenn was some sort of obstacle that had to be removed and isn't it great personally offensive. There, I've said it now. It's quite obvious that I am coming to the end of my involvement. I've been stringing it out, hoping some sort of positive event that would honour Glenn would occur. This has not happened & in fact quite the opposite looms large.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-27-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Well, "that's what they tell me" is the closest we've gotten to statement from Don yet. Thanks ETG!

I wish he'd give us better clues about the guests at his birthday bash.
    I know, right...with those clues it could be anybody!!

Quote Originally Posted by East Texas Girl View Post
    They then brought up his birthday bash in Dallas and spoke about mutual friends that they have that are part of his band. They asked about his special guests and he said there was going to be "a certain blonde-headed witch, this guy named Walsh, with a big nose, and this long haired bass player". All of this said with Mr. Henley's sense of humor.
    Hmm "A certain blonde-headed witch." Yeah that could be anybody. Walsh. I think there's a guy name Walsh I've heard of. Now that the long haired bass player? He got me on that one. Don is soo funny.

I guess Don did confirmed the festival even though it was short, sweet and to the point and confirmed that a certain blonde-headed witch, a guy name Walsh and long haired bass player will be at his birthday bash.

Thanks for that info, ETG.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I think the "blonde headed witch" has to be Stevie Nicks, because of the Rhiannon reference of a Welsh witch.