Page 27 of 166 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I think the "blonde headed witch" has to be Stevie Nicks, because of the Rhiannon reference of a Welsh witch.
    I took it that he meant Stevie too.

I was joking. I knew it was Stevie. I was joking about Joe and Timothy.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    UTW, with the greatest respect, when that comment was made Glenn didn't know what was going to happen. I think you have over-interpreted it. I can't agree that Glenn making this type of joke means that he wanted them to continue without him.
    I'm not intepreting it as such, merely pointing out that Glenn was able to laugh at the prospect of the band continuing without him. He knew his manager.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm not intepreting it as such, merely pointing out that Glenn was able to laugh at the prospect of the band continuing without him. He knew his manager.
    Glenn may have imagined himself retired. Not passed on.

Banned

In that case you should have lost interest in 2008.

I realise I am increasingly alone here but it seems to me that once you start saying that this mythical thing called 'Eagles', the NAME, is more important than the actual individuals who comprised it, you may as well have a tribute band as hinted above.

I find the comment above about Glenn's departure being a 'seed for new material' not very helpful. The implication is that his death is suddenly going to spark what remains of 'Eagles' into doing new work. I don't think so. I also find the whole underlying implication of such posts that Glenn was some sort of obstacle that had to be removed and isn't it great personally offensive. There, I've said it now. It's quite obvious that I am coming to the end of my involvement. I've been stringing it out, hoping some sort of positive event that would honour Glenn would occur. This has not happened & in fact quite the opposite looms large.
    Freypower, please don't feel alone. We are all Eagles fans but you have a remarkable ability to turn, even the most innocent comment into an insult aimed at Glenn. In the absence of a tribute concert, which are ten-a-penny these days, I thought you may welcome an album inspired by and dedicated to Glenn. I think it'd be a much worthier and certainly more permanent tribute to his massive contribution to the band.

The fact the Eagles have persevered and prospered over many decades, is directly down to his foresight and ambition. If the band can thrive after he's gone, surely that's an even greater testament to the strength of the foundations he laid and only adds to his legacy.

In my opinion, part of the outstanding longevity and success of the Eagles has been down to the constant changes and evolution the band have been through. Glenn's death is the latest jolt that, in the past would have served as an injected of new direction and purpose but, well into twilight of their careers, it may have led to a retirement. I'm happy that their addiction to the lifestyle and maybe their search for some kind of closure has brought them back together.

Renewed purpose and optimism is no reflection on Glenn. I'm as surprised as anyone that he was the first Eagle to die but I know that he wont be the last.

I expect to be an Eagles fan for my life time, not his.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Freypower, please don't feel alone. We are all Eagles fans but you have a remarkable ability to turn, even the most innocent comment into an insult aimed at Glenn. In the absence of a tribute concert, which are ten-a-penny these days, I thought you may welcome an album inspired by and dedicated to Glenn. I think it'd be a much worthier and certainly more permanent tribute to his massive contribution to the band.

The fact the Eagles have persevered and prospered over many decades, is directly down to his foresight and ambition. If the band can thrive after he's gone, surely that's an even greater testament to the strength of the foundations he laid and only adds to his legacy.

In my opinion, part of the outstanding longevity and success of the Eagles has been down to the constant changes and evolution the band have been through. Glenn's death is the latest jolt that, in the past would have served as an injected of new direction and purpose but, well into twilight of their careers, it may have led to a retirement. I'm happy that their addiction to the lifestyle and maybe their search for some kind of closure has brought them back together.

Renewed purpose and optimism is no reflection on Glenn. I'm as surprised as anyone that he was the first Eagle to die but I know that he wont be the last.

I expect to be an Eagles fan for my life time, not his.
    I concede that I do sometimes perceive comments as insults to Glenn. These comments tend to be the ones made by you in particular. I note that in the 'why I'm not happy' thread you actually hoped that his death would have a 'positive impact' on the surviving members. This last post has made it far worse for me. I take no comfort from your words at all, especially the line about 'an album inspired by and dedicated to Glenn' when you have not one skerrick of evidence that such a thing will ever happen.

I am not the sort of person who does the 'legacy' stuff. Legacy is all very well. I can't explain it, but I don't see how them continuing without him enhances his legacy. On the contrary; he is more & more likely to be forgotten. In my view he never got the recognition he deserved & if they continue on, playing none of his songs, the inevitable comments will start to be made that they are better off without him. You can call me hyper-sensitive all you like, but he deserved better than this.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-28-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by East Texas Girl
    It went something like this... They asked him if he was going to be part of the East Coast/West Coast Festival and he said "that's what they tell me".
    Did the interviewer ask if HE would be a part of it, or if the EAGLES would be a part of it?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I am not the sort of person who does the 'legacy' stuff. Legacy is all very well. I can't explain it, but I don't see how them continuing without him enhances his legacy. On the contrary; he is more & more likely to be forgotten. In my view he never got the recognition he deserved & if they continue on, playing none of his songs, the inevitable comments will start to be made that they are better off without him. You can call me hyper-sensitive all you like, but he deserved better than this.
    I don't think there's any chance that Glenn will be forgotten. Whatever happens from now, Glenn will always be a big part of Eagles, or anything resembling Eagles.

I think that in this thread some people are thinking emotionally, and some are thinking logically. I'm not saying nor suggesting that one is the right way of thinking about this and the other isn't. They're just different. But it makes discussion difficult. I think that both sides are leaving reality behind a bit in order to make 'stronger' arguments for their point of view. Perhaps it's time for everyone to take a deep breath and think about it for a bit.

Whatever happens with the Eagles, Glenn will NEVER be forgotten.
    As Don said, 'Glenn did what he set out to do, and then some'.

Stuck on the Border

On an emotional level, I have to believe that neither Don, Irving, Joe or Timothy want to disrespect Glenn. It will be hard for them because it's not just who will sing and play Glenn's parts; it's all the behind the scenes work that Glenn did. I'm sure some aspects will be easier but there's also the issue that Don, Joe and Timothy are now used to running their own shows and will have to compromise. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a lot of "What would Glenn do?" They won't forget him and I really doubt they will allow the audience to forget him. Indeed, the "family & friends" aspect is a way of saying that he can't be replaced by a single person.

It's a shame that the East/West festivals came up when they did. I think Henley's birthday concert with special guests would have been the right way for Don, Joe and Timothy to get together again in public.