Page 5 of 166 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

There is one thing that I have thought of, but it's only wild speculation. I may have mentioned it before.

I have heard before that people who wanted a band to play together again may just announce something hoping that the band will fall in behind it.

While we've heard 'confirmed by close sources' etc., it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a 'close source' person, who could even be Irving Azoff, is being manipulative. I.e. playing up a rumour (which he may or may not have started himself) in the hope of getting the remaining guys back together again.

I'd start believing that it could happen if I hear an actual Eagle confirm it. But for me to really believe it will happen, I want a statement from Don H.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

I really can't believe this! Don has said several times that the Eagles were done!

Very disappointed if they do. It's not the Eagles without Glenn.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Philh View Post
    I Agree with the previous post about Glenn and he could never be replaced and the Eagles without him could never be the same. His huge talents and humour would be sorely missed. However to see the remaining Eagles together perhaps including Bernie would be the next best thing at this stage.
    Indeed, I wouldn't mind seeing Don H., Joe, Timothy and Bernie back together with a series of guests / friends for a one off Glenn memorial / fundraiser as this would give a proper final sendoff for the band and raise money for what I'm sure would be great causes; however I'm not sure how I feel about them going back on the road as some form of the Eagles together for commercial purposes.

As ever though, I'll comment properly when we have a bona fide statement on proceedings.

Even Timothy has said that if they did perform together again that it wouldn't be under the Eagles name.

Stuck on the Border

In principle, I don't object to the remaining band members playing together. I also see that Azoff might argue that the best way to keep the band and Glenn's legacy alive is to continue to use the "Eagles" name - he just has to find a way that makes it acceptable to Don H, Joe and Timothy. I'd hoped they'd do something as a benefit in Glenn's name, but even if it's a largely commercial enterprise, there's still scope for making large charitable donations.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Being an Entertainment Weekly subscriber for over 10 years they usually won't report things unless there is something in the works. They're one of the top sources for news like this, especially for casting with TV shows & movies, book deals, and music news. Something is in the works but I agree that I'm fine with Don, Joe, and Timothy playing together (and even including Bernie), but I don't want them to use the Eagles name. It still just doesn't feel right to me with Glenn gone now, but I don't mind seeing them play together. I too think the press is using this as the Eagles getting back together but again I think they won't actually use the name.

Also, other bands & singers will be added for this festival too so I'm guessing it's going to be still in the classic rock genre. It'll be interesting to see who else is performing when the full line up is announced.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I would much prefer any 'Eagle' activity to be something either to commemorate Glenn or raise money for causes he cared for or what ultimately claimed his life; but I will comment further when we know the details for sure.

As for 'carrying on is what most other bands do', it is when you are either very young and have years to recover or relatively minor in the grand scale of things. The fact is is that Glenn was the leader (and let's be honest, he was more so than Henley) of the Eagles for over four decades and contributed substantially to their success, and that they themselves are all now very rapidly pushing 70. I just can't imagine any other band of the Eagles's calibre and age reuniting and finding a substitute if the same tragedy befell them. Look at how quickly it's all fallen apart for AC/DC of late: back when they were young they just replaced Bon Scott with Brian Johnson; now they've lost three (four?) members to health problems or retirement in the space of a few years and I personally think it would have been much better for them to simply call it quits than patch over increasingly bigger cracks...
    Other bands have carried on or replaced members at older ages....Queen tours as Queen without Freddie, Led Zeppelin has performed with John Bonham's son, The Who continues to tour as The Who without Keith Moon and John Entwhistle (and even released an album, I believe). While Moon, Entwhistle, and Bonham were not leaders of the band like Glenn was, Freddie was certainly the leader and driving force of Queen. The members of Queen are all approaching 70 too and Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend are already in their 70s.

That said, I really hope this isn't true. In my opinion, it would be wrong for them to continue to perform as the Eagles without Glenn, especially in light of everything Henley, Joe, and Timothy have said about it in the past year. (For the record, I think it was wrong for the other bands I mentioned too). I won't believe it until Don Henley confirms it.

Whoever owns the trademark can do whatever-whenever.

Case-in-Point: Foreigner is essentially a cover or tribute band since Mick Jones only joins the band on-stage now and again. Stones survived the loss of their leader and founder Brian Jones back in the sixties although I must admit they fired him first. Jason Bonham, after a brief stint with Foreigner back in the early 2000s, has picked up his father's mantle and is essentially leading a Led Zep cover/tribute band. Lastly, let's not forget AC/DC a band that almost broke-up following the death of lead singer Bon Scott back in 1980 only to bounce "back in black" with Brian Johnson who "Thunderstruck" us all!

To quote Henley and Frey" I want to tell you, in the long run, it's a long run" folks so, "Long may you run," because to quote Journey, "the movie never ends, it goes on and on and on...." So, run on empty, run wild, and run into the sun one more time! Word to Mr. Henley, you don't always get "the best light from a burning bridge."

I say Rock Away Blind and "welcome the joy!"

July 14-16th looks good for Los Angeles.
    July 7th-9th looks good for New York.

Stay Tuned!
    CarolC
    Last edited by carol7lynn; 03-03-2017 at 12:31 PM.

I saw this post yesterday when there were only 4 responses (I intentionally waited until today to post my response just to gauge the general Border response).

I posted elsewhere in the forum that I'd just returned from a West Coast trip in which I followed the sight seeing "tour" suggested by Soda Scout. During the "trip," I had such a swing in emotions...."imagine, Glenn and Don were actually here" immediately followed by "I wish Glenn was still with us."

Yesterday, when I read this, I was ecstatic and trying to connive a way to get back to LA in the summer (no way I'd go to the big Apple for this).

I'm NOT being critical of anyone, but (and with understanding that everyone wants some type of official confirmation), I'm a little surprised by the bummed and/or indignant state of mind of some posters. WHOM among us has not dreamed of "one more chance" to hear the guys harmonize together? Heck, I even went to a tribute band concert last summer in an attempt to just get that old feeling.

These guys don't need to do this for the money....it's about the music and (I'd like to think), the fans. No way Irving or the boys would undertake this in any manner that disrespected Glenn's memory or Cindy's wishes. And, right now, it's for a two show gig....not another prolonged tour as the Eagles

And who cares if they appear under the name "B(Eagles), "Not the Eagles," "Don/Joe/Timothy/Bernie and (whomever)," or the "Falcons?" I'm betting each of us would see/hear the Eagles (minus Glenn) in our minds. I would not be looking for someone to "clock" Glenn's vocals, but whomever would have to be damn good.

A couple of summers ago, I went to the concert series featuring, Don Felder (there's a reason he was not featured in any Eagles vocals), Styx and Foreigner. Styx and Foreigner had many non-orginal band members but it was enjoyable hearing their music played at a level far above a tribute band. And have you heard Journey w/Arnel Pineda replacing Steve Perry?

I hope this fan site can get fully behind this and trust the remaining band members to handle an Eagles return with dignity and professionalism...for the music and the fans. Personally, I hope it's true and I can't wait (just have to convince the wife).

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    Other bands have carried on or replaced members at older ages....Queen tours as Queen without Freddie, Led Zeppelin has performed with John Bonham's son, The Who continues to tour as The Who without Keith Moon and John Entwhistle (and even released an album, I believe). While Moon, Entwhistle, and Bonham were not leaders of the band like Glenn was, Freddie was certainly the leader and driving force of Queen. The members of Queen are all approaching 70 too and Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend are already in their 70s.
    Yes, but none of those with the possible exception of John Entwistle (and John Deacon in Queen) were at anywhere near the age the Eagles are at now in the same predicament; Bonham died in 1980, Moon two years earlier. If Daltrey, May or Page were sadly to pass away now I don't think their bands would be as eager now they are well into the autumn of their careers to fill the void and carry on. Black Sabbath replaced Bill Ward a few years ago when they collectively refused to reunite and that's still a toxic topic amongst their fans.

(FWIW, I don't think Queen ever recovered from losing Freddie. I also believe they market themselves as 'Queen + [whoever]' these days.)