Page 59 of 166 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Honestly, we seem to have reached a point where this thread is becoming quite circular and redundant on all sides. We are starting to rehash the same arguments over and over, which can be perceived as rubbing salt in the wound on either side and, inevitably end up in confrontation.
    I think you're on to something, Dreamer. Maybe I'll bow out of this thread before I start repeating myself, if I haven't already. If I have, then my apologies to everyone.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Except no one went back on his word. No one made any promises and no one signed any contracts. In an early grief-stricken state, Don H said the Eagles were over. Later he made similar statements using open-ended qualifiers like "perhaps" "maybe" "seems like" "I think." As I posted earlier somewhere, when he started talking about performing with Deacon Frey, it appeared to me he was not ready to let go. He started getting flak apparently, so he back-peddled from that a bit. But it looked like (to some of us anyway) that the door to Eagles future performances was not yet shut.

As far as "doing what's right", that's a matter of opinion and moral judgment. To Don, Joe and Timothy, doing what's right could mean following one's heart and being true to themselves e.g. performing music and entertaining audiences as Eagles.
    It's a difference of opinion and viewpoint here.

Don, Joe, and Tim said there would be no more Eagles. It was the right thing to say AFAIC. Maybe they didn't pull a Motley Crue and sign a contract that was legally binding keeping them from ever playing again...but still, words are still worth something in the minds and hearts of people who care about them.

To me, that is going back on their word, as Soda and others have stated.

Doing what's right, IMO, is not going out for one last or one more tour's worth of a money grab without one of the most if not the most important member(s) of the band's history and going on as business as usual and cutting him out of promotional material as if he never existed. THAT is the critical difference.

Obviously there are two camps here, and we aren't likely to make each other see it from our perspective but as far as I and some others are concerned, the Eagles are done....If you like the "Eagles 3.0", more power to you and nothing against you for feeling that way. But in the same respect, I'm not about to keep from standing up for what I feel is right and criticizing it, they opened themselves to it the second they made all of this public news. I don't feel sorry for them at all. I think Irving is the main man to blame....but unfortunately they are all now subject to it because they've agreed to it, undoubtedly under pressure....but still.

Again, nothing against those who are ok with them moving on as the Eagles, but not all of us are going to agree. And that's perfectly okay, IMO. But it is what it is.

Border Desperado

Because I seldom visit and don't belong to websites for any other bands this may just be my perception but it seems like Don, Joe and Timothy are being judged much more harshly for their words and their decisions than any other band who decided to continue after the death of a prominent member.

I realize not everyone heard Don's radio interview but now that the genie is out of the bottle why aren't they publically revealing the identities of the new additions to the band?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I realize not everyone heard Don's radio interview but now that the genie is out of the bottle why aren't they publicly revealing the identities of the new additions to the band?
    I don't know. Perhaps they feel keeping people in suspense will amp up the hype and make folks a bit more willing to drop a few grand on a seat up close.

I almost dread the announcement, honestly. I dread the photos of the new line up, the stark visual reminder that Glenn is gone, the press interviews which will reinforce the harsh reality that Glenn's presence has been deemed unnecessary to the band. "It's not the same without Glenn... but we've got a couple of new guys that you'll love! Tickets start at $150!"

While I'm sure Don is being sincere when he says Glenn is irreplaceable, he obviously means that only on an emotional level. Musically, he is replacing Glenn. There's no way around it. That's what you call it when you hire people to sing Glenn's parts. I don't care who these "Friends and Family" are. They're not Glenn.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Geez, they might have people replacing Glenn? Ok, this is getting a bit unsettling. I see how continuing as the "Eagles" in any iteration is not a good idea for the dedicated fans. It's not good to omit any Glenn songs, due to his passing. It's also not good either to have someone replace Glenn to do Glenn songs.

Not that I'm advocating these alternatives that are popping in my head, but I think it would be ok-ish if they did Glenn songs instrumentally as a medley. However, one would need someone to play the Glenn guitar parts, so that might not be acceptable to some. If they're going to have singing, maybe his son or people that influenced Glenn's songwriting, like Bob Seger, Jack Tempchin, Jackson Browne or J.D. Souther.

I don't like the alternatives with the singing that I thought of. This is getting worse. So far, the concert is like a "damned if you, damned if you don't." It wouldn't be like that if their appearance at the Classic never was true.

On a side note, they had the Doobie Brothers, Journey, the Steve Miller Band, and Santana in the same venue for SF Fest last year. To avoid breaking Eagles' fans hearts, they could have just gotten Santana and the Steve Miller Band. It's too bad that it seems like the money talked. I'm sorry for you guys who are really hurting about this.

Stuck on the Border

So they're doing this. My view is they have to do Glenn's songs. Anything else would be as if they were cutting him out of their history. If they are going to sing his songs, I think they do it by bringing in multiple guests and possibly have Timothy and Joe sing one each. The message would be that Glenn is irreplaceable in that no one person can take his place and if they are people who were close to Glenn it's a way of showing he is not forgotten.

I'm not keen on the idea of this concert but I've decided to try to be more positive about it.

I've been thinking of the men I have known who remarried quite soon after the death of their first wives. These were all men with long and (presumably) happy first marriages. My cousin, remarried aged 50 and explained that as his children were grown up and living their own lives, he would get home and sit there all alone and he didn't like it. When my grandfather remarried three years after the death of his wife, his first wife's family weren't happy, but his sons accepted it and over the next forty years the lives of my grandfather, his sons and their children were all the better for this second marriage. Finally, a friend's father married his first wife's sister to the delight of both sets of children. Some things that are common with all three was that they liked being married and their first wives were not forgotten because they shared so many years and children.

You're probably thinking that has nothing to do with Eagles but it's one of the ways I've been using to make sense of it.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by RudieCantFail View Post
    Geez, they might have people replacing Glenn? Ok, this is getting a bit unsettling. I see how continuing as the "Eagles" in any iteration is not a good idea for the dedicated fans. It's not good to omit any Glenn songs, due to his passing. It's also not good either to have someone replace Glenn to do Glenn songs.

Not that I'm advocating these alternatives that are popping in my head, but I think it would be ok-ish if they did Glenn songs instrumentally as a medley. However, one would need someone to play the Glenn guitar parts, so that might not be acceptable to some. If they're going to have singing, maybe his son or people that influenced Glenn's songwriting, like Bob Seger, Jack Tempchin, Jackson Browne or J.D. Souther.

I don't like the alternatives with the singing that I thought of. This is getting worse. So far, the concert is like a "damned if you, damned if you don't." It wouldn't be like that if their appearance at the Classic never was true.

On a side note, they had the Doobie Brothers, Journey, the Steve Miller Band, and Santana in the same venue for SF Fest last year. To avoid breaking Eagles' fans hearts, they could have just gotten Santana and the Steve Miller Band. It's too bad that it seems like the money talked. I'm sorry for you guys who are really hurting about this.
    I know where you're coming from with this but I can't think of anything worse.

'And now, here's a musical tribute to the dead guy'! A couple of minutes and then back to 'business as usual'.

I said I wasn't going to post any more. Well, I suppose I can have a change of heart too. It's more because Soda needs the support of people like myself who otherwise now have no voice (and I mean that every way you wish to interpret it). But I'm not going to repeat myself either, agreeing with Dreamer that it's pointless to do so.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I said I wasn't going to post any more. Well, I suppose I can have a change of heart too. It's more because Soda needs the support of people like myself who otherwise now have no voice (and I mean that every way you wish to interpret it). But I'm not going to repeat myself either, agreeing with Dreamer that it's pointless to do so.
    So do we get 2 Easters this year since another martyr has emerged?

Sorry, the drama is overwhelming and this Eagles 3.0 Merry go round doesn't seem to want to stop since nobody wants to play by the rules and stop arguing.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VillageGirl View Post
    So do we get 2 Easters this year since another martyr has emerged?

Sorry, the drama is overwhelming and this Eagles 3.0 Merry go round doesn't seem to want to stop since nobody wants to play by the rules and stop arguing.
    Uh huh.

I shoud not have bothered. I said I had no intention of repeating myself and yet you have made this comment. So once again I am finished with it.

You can have your 'Eagles 3.0' and I wish you joy of it.

But you will NEVER silence those who hate everything about this. NEVER.