Page 67 of 166 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    No, we don't have the right to tell them what they should or shouldn't do. We do have the right to discuss & disagree with what they do, or this message board is pointless. What you appear to be saying is you agree with the Remnants continuing, and those who don't agree should be silent.
    Once again, you twist my words to mean something they don't. Why can't you address the points that people actually make instead of creating straw men arguments?

I'm not saying that people should be silent. I'm addressing the opinions you post which is a reasonable thing to do in a discussion forum.

While I understand people's pain, many of the comments I see here seem to paint the surviving Eagles as scoundrels for deciding to play again as Eagles. Which I consider to be very unfair.

However, when we discuss the possibility that Deacon Frey may play with Eagles, presumably as some sort of tribute to his father, and people paint him with the same scoundrel brush, that's getting to the point where it's downright nasty. This is a man who has lost his father who may (or may not) appear with his father's colleagues on stage. I ask people here to think about what they are saying.

I saw Liam Finn too. Slight difference...Neil is still alive.
    Since Neil is still alive, this strengthens my point; it doesn't invalidate it.

Since Neil is still alive, there is even more reason why people might object to nepotism in band member selection. I haven't heard anyone object to that. People didn't object to Dani Harrison appearing as part of the concert for George. People, including myself, thought it very nice that Dani had a prominent place on the stage. I believe that my example stands.
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 04-21-2017 at 04:57 AM.

What's pathetic is the remaining Eagles not having the integrity to disclose the two new additions to the band. Fans are expected to dig deep (and I do mean DEEP) into their pockets to buy tickets based solely on media hype, rumor, SPIN and speculation with the promise of some emotional Big Reveal.

The Eagles is an iconic legendary band and this is what it's come to.

Shameful.

Stuck on the Border

Dawn - I could not agree more. Shameful to charge a max of $2,750.00 and than not disclose who the two "guests" are. There are still plenty of seats left. Center in front of the stage are gone but plenty of seats left/right of the stage for $2,750.00.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    What's pathetic is the remaining Eagles not having the integrity to disclose the two new additions to the band. Fans are expected to dig deep (and I do mean DEEP) into their pockets to buy tickets based solely on media hype, rumor, SPIN and speculation with the promise of some emotional Big Reveal.

The Eagles is an iconic legendary band and this is what it's come to.

Shameful.
    I don't really understand why it's 'pathetic' and demonstrates a lack of 'integrity' that they havent' yet announced how they will fill the hole left by Glenn Frey.

The tickets are on sale to see 7 or 8 bands or whatever it is. At least one of the bands, The Eagles, come with a level of uncertainty about who will be in this version of it given how a key member passed away over a year ago. For many if not most, seeing Henley and Walsh is enough to make a purchase decision.

In the meantime, I don't know why they haven't announced it yet, but it's very plausible that they themselves aren't entirely sure who will be performing. It could be they are waiting on Deacon Frey to make a final decision and/or pass some sort of test to show he's ready and able to do this. It could also be they are in negotiations with a big name or two to come in and fill Frey's slot.

It could also be that they are waiting to see how ticket sales go, and will make a splash announcement if need be to sell the place out.

In any of those scenarios, I don't see how they lack integrity or are pathetic. They are businessmen and always have been...Frey certainly was too, to his credit.

If you don't want to buy tickets because you want to know who the band members are, then that's certainly understandable. If you buy them anyway because Henley-Walsh-Schmit are enough for you to go ahead and purchase, then that too is certainly understandable.

But attacking the band's integrity because they aren't sure who (if anybody) will fill in for Frey seems way out of bounds to me anyway.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Once again, you twist my words to mean something they don't. Why can't you address the points that people actually make instead of creating straw men arguments?

I'm not saying that people should be silent. I'm addressing the opinions you post which is a reasonable thing to do in a discussion forum.

While I understand people's pain, many of the comments I see here seem to paint the surviving Eagles as scoundrels for deciding to play again as Eagles. Which I consider to be very unfair.

However, when we discuss the possibility that Deacon Frey may play with Eagles, presumably as some sort of tribute to his father, and people paint him with the same scoundrel brush, that's getting to the point where it's downright nasty. This is a man who has lost his father who may (or may not) appear with his father's colleagues on stage. I ask people here to think about what they are saying.

Since Neil is still alive, this strengthens my point; it doesn't invalidate it.

Since Neil is still alive, there is even more reason why people might object to nepotism in band member selection. I haven't heard anyone object to that. People didn't object to Dani Harrison appearing as part of the concert for George. People, including myself, thought it very nice that Dani had a prominent place on the stage. I believe that my example stands.
    I hope you are not referring to me because I have barely mentioned Deacon's (presumed) participation. Please provide me with one example where someone has painted Deacon as a 'scoundrel'. I don't think anyone has done so. What I said, and Delilah agreed with me, that it would be a great deal of pressure for him. I don't see what's wrong with that.

I object to this entire business. I don't believe I have impugned the characters of HWS, except that I think they are driven by money. I don't care who takes Frey's place. My point is that nobody can.

The Concert For George was a proper tribute, which is what this exercise should have been, but isn't, so the comparison doesn't work.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-21-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Stuck on the Border

JMHO but I think this whole thing is nothing more than a sad, money grubbing affair. I would guess my bank account they know who the two "guests" are and have not announced it to to drive up ticket sales. This did not happen over night - it was in the works for a long time. To go on and on for an entire year stating that the Eagles are no more because of Glenn's passing and than announce this is beyond pathetic. IMHO they have no respect For the legacy of the Eagles and nothing is more important to them than money. Don, Tim and Joe can, and have/will have opportunities to tour together and bill themselves how ever they choose. To call themselves the Eagles is beyond, IMHO disrespectful to the history and legacy of the band.
    I have defended the band for years and years when friends have labeled them money hungry. However I can no longer do so. it saddens me to say this. As a new person on this board I am truly sorry if this upsets or offends someone - I do not mean it to. This is just my opinion. I guess I should say let the attacking begin - which also makes me very sad.
    This whole thing could have been handled very differently. I am not alone in my feelings, numerous FB posts have stated the same thing.
    ****THIS IS NOT CRITICISM TOWARD DEACON. I WISH HIM NOTHING BUT THE BEST.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 04-21-2017 at 07:46 PM.

I'm with you, NKIT. You're right that some people will harshly criticize you (to put it mildly), but I'm not one of them.

I really hope that if they asked Deacon to tour with them, he said no.

ETA: I better put a qualifier like NKIT did, before anyone "misunderstands": I AM NOT HATING ON DEACON AND I TOO WISH HIM THE BEST.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    JMHO but I think this whole thing is nothing more than a sad, money grubbing affair. I would guess my bank account they know who the two "guests" are and have not announced it to to drive up ticket sales.
    I don't think the reason for playing shows has changed since Glenn died. If it's a "money grubbing affair" now, it's been a "money grubbing affair" at least sinceHFO. I guess that they're just not ready to walk away from a band they've been a part of for most of their adult lives.

I don't see how keeping the special guests under wraps drives up ticket sales. Surely anybody who cares will be waiting for the guests to be announced before purchasing their ticket. I assume that people are buying tickets on the strength of the bands history and integrity.

Even solo, Don, Joe and Tim put on a good show so it's difficult to imagine them playing a disappointing show with their talents merged. I expect the majority of fans will say they got their money's worth and I'll still support the band, probably not so enthusiastically though, if the general opinion was that the two shows were below par.

Questioning someone's opinion is not criticising them.

I wish Deacon all the best but I'm not keen on nepotism.

Banned

This is becoming farcical, to me, at this point. A money-grubbing affair, as if anyone on this site, or basically anywhere in the world, wishes to do any work without being fairly compensated for the absolute most they can receive. As Irving Azoff said, the Eagles are not a hippie commune.

The Eagles are such horrible people for not dedicating every single one of their remaining breaths to Glenn (whom I absolutely love, by the way), even though Don, Joe and Glenn have talked about him at every public performance and in every interview since his death while also performing a song in his memory at every live show.

Deacon Frey has possibly chosen to remember his father by performing with the band, which somehow makes the band even more evil. And that is fine to point out as long as you make perfectly clear your hatred doesn't reflect in any way on Deacon. It's laughable.

Some of you are absolutely determined to turn on this band and this group of people for the way they've chosen to live their lives, even though it's basically consistent with all of their previous years, save for one when they were unsure if they would continue. It's music. It's entertainment. And for the Eagles, it's work. They want to do it, and they want to get paid for it.

Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Dawn and Redstorm - agree. Don has even stated in numerous interviews Glenn was the leader.
    The way I read Funk50's post, he concedes that Don said Glenn was the leader. But clearly Don himself was not merely a follower. If the band was just Glenn and his yes men, then all the conflicts and fighting during the 70s wouldn't have happened.

By HFO, the leadership roles were clearly established with only Don F showing some resistance. It had always been my impression that Glenn and Don H were co-leaders. It wasn't until I started delving into the band's history that I began to better understand the band dynamics and that Glenn was viewed as the leader. However, I suspect that Don H had a lot more influence behind the scenes than may be recognized. There's a reason why making the LROOE album wasn't smooth sailing.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...