Page 72 of 166 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    How in the world is a performance (probably) with Deacon Frey playing with his dad's former bandmates NOT a tribute to Glenn? And how is it not for the fans? There are tickets available! No one is stopping you from going! Being angry only causes you to miss out. You're asking for the exact thing that they're doing, only with some sort of banner behind them that says "Glenn Frey Tribute." I don't get it. They literally can not perform together without it being a tribute, because they wouldn't be a band without Glenn. An official Glenn Frey tribute would look exactly like what's about to happen. Participate or don't, but don't fall back on a totally unfounded, unsubstantiated idea that they're dissing Glenn.

It is a festival show where they will be performing with other acts. There will be a lot of people there who won't be there just to see them. The location & the size of the event in itself prevents this from being regarded as a tribute show. It is not billed as such.

I don't know where you get the idea that I or others think the survivors are 'dissing' Glenn. We just think they have not done this properly, and in my case thiink it should not have been done at all.

'No one is stopping you from going'. This is an international board. Even if I had any interest in this, my location rather prevents me from going. Of course anyone in the US can go. Who said they couldn't?

I am sorry but I am tired of going round & round over this. You are entitled to your views, I am entitled to mine. I am not going to change my views on this scenario so I wll stop posting.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-23-2017 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It is a festival show where they will be performing with other acts. There will be a lot of people there who won't be there just to see them. The location & the size of the event in itself prevents this from being regarded as a tribute show. It is not billed as such.
    Exactly my thoughts when people keep bringing up the fact that this 'could be' a tribute event.

Banned

Yeah, I think I give up, too. What is obvious to me is being missed by others, and I'm only driving myself crazy.

This is most definitely NOT a Glenn Frey tribute concert.

It is a bicoastal 6 BAND classic rock festival headlined by the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac.

How in the world is a performance (probably) with Deacon Frey playing with his dad's former bandmates NOT a tribute to Glenn? And how is it not for the fans? There are tickets available! No one is stopping you from going! Being angry only causes you to miss out. You're asking for the exact thing that they're doing, only with some sort of banner behind them that says "Glenn Frey Tribute." I don't get it. They literally can not perform together without it being a tribute, because they wouldn't be a band without Glenn. An official Glenn Frey tribute would look exactly like what's about to happen. Participate or don't, but don't fall back on a totally unfounded, unsubstantiated idea that they're dissing Glenn.
    Of course they will pay tribute to Glenn Frey in some way, shape or form. As for not being a band without Glenn Frey - they are performing as the Eagles one of 6 "legendary bands" ...
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-24-2017 at 12:46 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I just watched an interview with Timothy recorded in February and I'm convinced that he believed the band was done at that time.
    I just saw the interview on Vintage TV's Friday Rock Show. Presenter, Nicky Horne and Tim discussed the end of the Eagles. There's not much doubt that they both thought the Eagles were over when the interview took place. It sounded uncomfortably dated.

Nicky's a big Eagles fan, he did the world exclusive, in depth interviews when Long Road Out Of Eden was released and many more before it. I'm sure he now knows about the Classic East / West shows so I'm surprised he didn't update the program before it was broadcast.

I believe that when this interview was conducted in February, Tim wasn't aware of the Classic East / West concert or he's an extremely good liar.

Kinda goes against the band meeting every January doesn't it.

I've been paying attention to their individual plans for the last six months. They still don't plan too far in advance so they were always open to some hastily planned Eagles project. HFO started with a hastily put together, live TV Concert Special. Eagles 3.0 starts with a sudden headlining appearance at a megabucks Superstar Rock Concert. Irving's probably already lining up the next Eagles project.

The Glenn Frey tributes will have to stop sometime. Classic East / West could be the last.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I leave this thread for a bit and then come back again. I see that there are pages and pages of discussion here.

As an overview of discussion, I do think that things here go off on their own path that ignores reality. That people will say things and then others will agree and things head off in various directions. That's why I've tried to do things such as check whether or not people are (e.g.) concerned about mystery guests, including at tributed. Apparently having mystery guests is awful here, but the outside world does not appear to agree with this view.

Just some comments from me.

I have used the term 'remnants of Eagles' before, as I thought at the time that it acknowledged that a big chunk of what was Eagles has gone. But, due to the negative connotations it has acquired, I won't use it again. 'The remaining Eagles' works better in this context, I believe.

I would have liked to see a 'Concert for George' style tribute. Even if that doesn't happen, I don't think that's terrible. Just not as good as it could have been. I say with confidence that there will be some tribute at the concert. It has been said here that the Glenn tributes must stop eventually, but I expect that no matter how Eagles play again, there will always be a tribute to Glenn. I can't imagine that not happening.

It's also unfair to suggest that there hasn't been a tribute. There have been several tributes already, both public and private, both individual and group. This upcoming concert will give Eagles another opportunity to pay tribute to Glenn. But, I still see posts suggesting that there hasn't been a tribute. This is unfair and inaccurate. And argument predicated on this false claim doesn't tell us anything.

I note that what Don said about the concert has been mainly ignored, in preference for posters own impressions of what is really going on and what people are really thinking. We don't know what people are thinking. We can guess, but we should realise that such guesses are ... guesses. When we get what Don said dismissed out of hand because someone believes that they know what is really going on, then we're in strange territory.

There have been repeated quotes of what Eagles members have said in the past. E.g. Tim's comments. Clearly something has changed, and we don't know why. That Glenn's family has been involved in the decision, or has at least been consulted suggests that it wasn't just money. After all, they have changed their opinion on whether they should continue? Why? Some will say that it's just the money, but given what was said I don't believe this. If Glenn's family asked them to continue, then this could explain what we have seen.

I'm not saying that this has happened; I'm just saying that it's possible.

The concerts, when they happen, will fill in more gaps. As I've said before, we'll see if Glenn is given a specific tribute during the concerts, or whether Eagles will just 'continue on', ignoring him. I believe that the former will happen.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for the summary, AT. I think you have it about right.

I'm going to post my specualtion of the sequence of events.

1. Azoff has been thinking of putting together the Classic shows for some time. He has a connection with all the bands and the shows would have happened without any Eagles participation.
    2. At some point between November 2017 and February 2017, Azoff approached Don Henley. There were two options - either Don would be involved as a solo artist (+ backing band) or with Joe and Timothy. Don agreed.
    3. In February (after Timothy's visit to London), Timothy are Joe were approached and agreed to take part. They may have been led to believe it would be billed as "Eagles Family and Friends" - at least that's what Joe seemed to think.
    4. At the start of March, word leaks out. When the poster comes out, it's just "Eagles". The brand is owned by Henley, possibly Glenn's estate and possibly Don Felder. but not Timothy or Joe. They could have refused to play under that name but that's not the way they work. Besides, they've probably already signed the contracts.

My supposition is that if Don, Joe and Timothy had been presented with the option of playing two big shows as Eagles, they would have balked, so Azoff took an incremental approach and each smaller decision seemed reasonable.

Stuck on the Border

Yeah, I think I give up, too. What is obvious to me is being missed by others, and I'm only driving myself crazy.
    A perfect quote for a T-shirt. I think I'll have one custom-made for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post

I would have liked to see a 'Concert for George' style tribute. Even if that doesn't happen, I don't think that's terrible. Just not as good as it could have been. I say with confidence that there will be some tribute at the concert. It has been said here that the Glenn tributes must stop eventually, but I expect that no matter how Eagles play again, there will always be a tribute to Glenn. I can't imagine that not happening.

It's also unfair to suggest that there hasn't been a tribute. There have been several tributes already, both public and private, both individual and group. This upcoming concert will give Eagles another opportunity to pay tribute to Glenn. But, I still see posts suggesting that there hasn't been a tribute. This is unfair and inaccurate. And argument predicated on this false claim doesn't tell us anything.
    I think what a lot of people want is something like the Concert for George, or the tribute concert the remaining members of Queen arranged for Freddie Mercury. Brian May said he did this so that fans could say goodbye and to give Freddie "the biggest send-off in history." It would be nice if the remaining Eagles did something similar. To give the fans some closure. While the remaining Eagles may be doing tributes to Glenn at their individual shows or at the upcoming performances, most of us don't get to see it.