Page 84 of 166 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

The Eagles are billed as headliners with Fleetwood Mac.

No mention of Deacon or any other addition to the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesfan View Post
    Got it. I mean, I understand the point, I really do. But I don't think that Henley or Walsh or Azoff think that Frey is unimportant to the band or anything, but for them to sell tickets they need to call themselves the Eagles. If they call themselves "Don Henley Joe Walsh and Timothy B Schmit", then they probably don't really sell out arenas the way they will if they call themselves the Eagles.

And I get why some might feel that's not right. On the other hand, the Eagles, including Frey, have always been about business first and foremost.
    Another aspect to consider regarding the use of the Eagles moniker without Glenn: Eagles shows will no longer be of the same quality. Their sound will suffer; their sales will suffer.

I always got the impression Glenn wanted the band to go out on top...

... but this is the way the band will end. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Another aspect to consider regarding the use of the Eagles moniker without Glenn: Eagles shows will no longer be of the same quality. The music will suffer. Sales will suffer.

I always got the impression Glenn wanted the band to go out on top...

... but this is the way the band will end. Not with a bang, but a whimper.
    I won't pretend it doesn't sadden me to believe it didn't have to end this way.

It also troubles me - I expected more from Don Henley and even Irving Azoff.

Stuck on the Border

I am not surprised about Irving. However, I am surprised regarding Don agreeing to this. While we here all know they were always about money, something tells me this would not be happening if Don had passed and not Glenn. I always thought Don cared just as much about the legacy of the band as did Glenn. I love Don, but I guess I was wrong.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy Woman View Post
    FP, I haven't always agreed with everything you've said, but I sure as hell respect your right to say it, and I happen to agree with you on this. The Eagles without Glenn makes about as much sense as The Eagles without Don. Which is none. Having said that, if anyone is going to honor Glenn by performing his songs Deacon is a perfect choice. I wish him well.

On a more personal note, I'm sorry to hear your health is poor, FP, and I send my best wishes to you. I hope you reconsider your decision to post here. I enjoy reading other's opinions, especially if they don't agree with me, or I them.
    Thank you WW. I just wish to clarify that if I leave it will not be because of any disagreements I have had with other members (and there have been plenty) but for my own well being.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Eaglesfan - I agree with Soda. I object to Don, Joe and Tim calling themselves "Eagles" when one of the two founding members is no longer with us. Don can say all he wants about "Glenn is irreplaceable" but in fact that is what they plan to do if they start touring, which if you read between the lines that is apparently what they have planned. I can not speak for other on this board, but yes, I object to them calling themselves "Eagles". I have no objection with Don, Joe and Tim touring together performing Eagles songs. In fact, I would pay to see them perform together.

Soda, I could also see Don stepping forward to perform those duties. When I saw him he barely played the drums. He is the front man when he tours alone.

Phil - Thank you for the interview.
    Thats where my problem with it is too. I can see that there is still a market for the guys to tour, and I was very impressed with Henleys solo tour last year - pleasantly surprised. If they had even billed as something like 'Eagles featuring Deacon Frey' like Queen have done with Adam Lambert I would feel that Glenn still had a place in their thoughts. But he seems to have been locked out completely. I hope there is some appropriate tribute to him. maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised here too when I hear the reports - too pricey for me to attend
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Banned

I just got a vision then of the Eagles, at the back of the stage, counting off before Deacon struts on stage, Freddy Mercury style, to take ownership of the auditorium.

I don't know Adam Lambert. I presume that he's a big enough star to put bums on seats and for his name to be billed alongside Queen. That's not thecase for Deacon. I noticed in the vid clip with Joe, Deacon didn't have a mic.

Back in 1982, before they became huge, Genesis did a reunion show with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett. It was a major music story. Not quite so well known was the official billing. They were billed as Six Of The Best for legal reasons but it was the Genesis reunion to everybody.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/vi...-1982-20150407

I don't think anybody doubts that Don, Tim and Joe will sell more tickets, and more expensive tickets, billed as Eagles. I'd prefer that they were billed differently as the tickets would be more affordable but then they may stop playing live because it's not lucrative enough.

The Eagles are not the only band to carry on when a founding member dies.
    The English band Status Quo are continuing to tour even though founding member since the 1960's Rick Parfitt died.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I just got a vision then of the Eagles, at the back of the stage, counting off before Deacon struts on stage, Freddy Mercury style, to take ownership of the auditorium.

I don't know Adam Lambert. I presume that he's a big enough star to put bums on seats and for his name to be billed alongside Queen. That's not thecase for Deacon. I noticed in the vid clip with Joe, Deacon didn't have a mic.

Back in 1982, before they became huge, Genesis did a reunion show with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett. It was a major music story. Not quite so well known was the official billing. They were billed as Six Of The Best for legal reasons but it was the Genesis reunion to everybody.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/vi...-1982-20150407

I don't think anybody doubts that Don, Tim and Joe will sell more tickets, and more expensive tickets, billed as Eagles. I'd prefer that they were billed differently as the tickets would be more affordable but then they may stop playing live because it's not lucrative enough.
    That footage of Deacon with Joe I can only assume was just him jamming, not 'rehearsing'. Contrary to the predictions of some here he did not appear on Joe's Tom Petty tour. I do agree that Deacon is not well known enough to justify the 'with' tag, although I would have preferred that rather than the billing they chose. I won't call them that; because they are no longer that band. I hope Deacon is given a reasonably decent chance to show what he can do; otherwise it is Henley & his backing band (especially if Henley doesn't even bother to play drums).

I fail to see how the Genesis reunion or how they were billed is relevant to this issue. All the major members of Genesis are still alive. Also I disagree that Genesis were not already 'huge' before that show.

Phil, I know Quo are continuing. There is a slight difference is that they were still playing when Parfitt became ill. They never announced they were quitting the way the Remnants had done. They never went back on their word.

Look, it doesn't matter what I say. I know that.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-20-2017 at 06:52 PM.

For those who say the band is about money.

How dare the band want to make money playing THEIR material. How dare they want to support a family and the crew.