Page 94 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

I rather wish I hadn't clicked on that. imo, that guy has nothing of value to add to the discussion and he's just using a popular subject to generate income. He says he would see this line-up and yet he's just admitted that he's never seen the Eagles live. However, he doesn't explain why he finds this lineup more compelling than the one he couldn't be bothered to see in decades of touring.

I'm ok with a new version of the band continuing and with people wanting to see them. I understand there may be good reasons why someone won't have seen the Eagles previously but what I don't accept is that this version counts as the Eagles.

Stuck on the Border

Question - So is Vince officially a member of the Eagles or does he come under the "Family and Friends" or, have they forgot about that title/concept altogether ? Does anyone know if Bernie will be playing with them ? Is this the "new Eagles" ? If so, they are pretty much saying Glenn is replaceable, we did our year of mourning and time to move on. Not happy if this is true. However, this is not Vince's fault.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 06-02-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Border Desperado

I think that this IS the Eagles now. At least, that's the signals that I'm picking up. The publicity photo to me is the key. After Felder was fired, all the publicity pictures were just of the 4. Even the History of the Eagles tour posters and such only included the 4 and not Bernie (as far as what I've seen).
    With this new picture, I think they are saying "this is us".
    I may be wrong, but that's my impression.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I think that this IS the Eagles now. At least, that's the signals that I'm picking up. The publicity photo to me is the key. After Felder was fired, all the publicity pictures were just of the 4. Even the History of the Eagles tour posters and such only included the 4 and not Bernie (as far as what I've seen).
    With this new picture, I think they are saying "this is us".
    I may be wrong, but that's my impression.
    I'm inclined to agree.

I thought the setup was interesting. Having them grouped around an Eagles packing case seemed to refer back to the promotional photos for both the HFO and HotE tours. Deacon was up front with Don and Joe at either shoulder looking benign, Vince Gill was modestly staying back but looking relaxed and Timothy was slightly apart but looking more relaxed than he often does.

I don't believe I've actually heard the "Family and Friends" thing since the original mention; they also appear to have quietly dropped the "Special Guest" billing altogether.

I agree with Bill & UTW above that the new promo photo with all of them is also very suspect. And Vince Gill? No doubt he's a talented guy, though I'm personally not a fan, but he doesn't belong with them as an Eagle, to say the very least (nor would anyone they selected). And from the way they are talking, it's sounding more and more like a soft launch for a tour than two standalone festival dates.

It's been a fast ride downhill from (paraphrasing here) "No way, we're done" to what appears to be happening now. The whole thing has been very disappointing and disturbing to me.

To answer the opening question of the LA Times article...

Can an iconic rock band that’s lost a key member continue? Or should it?
    ...just because they can, doesn't mean they should.

The publicity photo is very nice and certainly underscores (at least in my mind) that Glenn Frey is irreplaceable until he wasn't.

Banned

It's nice to see Joe, front and center in the Eagle$ promo shots. Disappointed that we don't get more than a line or two of comment from the two newest Eagles.

At this point though, I hope Joe does the Classic East / West shows then makes a graceful exit. I may do a Henley and change my mind though.

Joe was brought in to improve the Eagles live show in the mid seventies. He's played that roll ever since. Elbow's Guy Garvey say's that sound systems are now good enough to allow performers to play ballad heavy sets in huge arenas. If that is so, Eagles don't need half a dozen (ancient) Walsh songs to beef up their live show. Henley, (D) Frey, Schmit and Gill, hopefully Leadon too can be play the Eagles catalog and Joe can do what he is on the planet to do, play rock music.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJeanBaby View Post
    I don't believe I've actually heard the "Family and Friends" thing since the original mention; they also appear to have quietly dropped the "Special Guest" billing altogether.

I agree with Bill & UTW above that the new promo photo with all of them is also very suspect. And Vince Gill? No doubt he's a talented guy, though I'm personally not a fan, but he doesn't belong with them as an Eagle, to say the very least (nor would anyone they selected). And from the way they are talking, it's sounding more and more like a soft launch for a tour than two standalone festival dates.

It's been a fast ride downhill from (paraphrasing here) "No way, we're done" to what appears to be happening now. The whole thing has been very disappointing and disturbing to me.

To answer the opening question of the LA Times article...

...just because they can, doesn't mean they should.
    My personal opinion is it's possible adding Deacon wasn't enough to overcome any real or imagined doubts/reservations leading to the decision to recruit a heavy hitter like a Vince Gill. All along there was speculation about Deacon and if not him then Seger, JD or Jackson. In other words my impression is it could/would be one or the other not a combo deal.

At the end of the day what amazes me is the obvious distortion of an iconic band's virtual identity under the guise that fans aren't ready to let go?

As a fan who does not feel that way I guess that makes me an official card carrying member of the detractor's club.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Elbow's Guy Garvey say's that sound systems are now good enough to allow performers to play ballad heavy sets in huge arenas.
    Sorry to be dense, but I don't understand Mr. Garvey's reasoning. Performers balance the ballads with the more upbeat/rocking numbers so the audience won't fall asleep or otherwise be bored to tears. Nothing to do with acoustics, I shouldn't think.

Banned

I initially agreed with your point of view NightMistBlue but since 1975, when arena tours didn't even exist, they've now developed to the point where you can entertain a huge audience with intricate light, screen and circus tricks to compliment the music. I suppose digital sound systems are also far better than the old analog tech..

Walsh has a reluctance to play his quieter songs in concert because they are drowned out by rowdy fans but if Elbow can play arenas, I'm sure the Eagles can too.

If Joe left the Eagles, I'm sure all the songs he sang would be replaced rather than reinterpreted. Vince Gill must have a catalog of hits.
    Would Vince Gill fans fork out a fortune for Eagle$ tickets if he's only going to contribute to Eagle$ songs?