Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Girl From Yesterday

Border Troubadour

Default Re: The Girl From Yesterday

The chorus duo vocal with Don H. is absolutely superb and one the best examples of such the Eagles ever did. The rest of it is mediocre, as sadly is much of the 15 minutes of new music HFO gave us. I can hold the Eagles (and anyone else for that matter) in no higher regard than to have standards for them, and the new content on HFO got nowhere near.

That said, at least TGFY isn't LWKUA. I will take all the repercussions for saying this but it is godawful tat that was by an astronomical distance the worst song they ever released as a single. I love Timothy but the song doesn't do him nor the other three / four any favours and it was obviously played until the end just to give TBS more time in the spotlight. In all honesty they should have just done a Poco cover or ICTYW twice.

(Yes, I am full of the joys of spring )

I love TGFY and even though I don't dislike LWKUA it certainly isn't one of my favourites.

Banned

When Glenn introduced The Girl From Yesterday as a future country classic, I believed him!

The only problem with it was that it was the type of music that the Eagles left behind when they introduced Felder and Wash into the band. It's my favourite of the new HFO songs and I prefer it to the song that permanently replaced it in the Eagles set list, Peaceful Easy Feeling.

I don't know the story behind the song, I'm afraid, but as far as its quality goes, I do enjoy the harmonies. I'm sorry it was dropped eventually, and I wish both it and Get Over It had remained in the set. I guess inevitably newer material is sacrificed for the old favorites, regardless of quality. Look at how they eventually dropped all of the Long Road Out of Eden songs for HOTE.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I think it sounds a lot like She Can't Let Go from Glenn's first solo album, he was going for a roy orbison style, though I feel there was more pace ad energy to his hits such as PEF, Lyin eyes, Take it easy etc Though Tequilla Sunrise is similar probably because Glenn mentioned it too had a Orbison sound to it. But always felt overall Glenn's song should be accompanied with a faster shuffle beat akin to his classic Eagles tunes, sorta like it was his style.
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

I realize this is an old topic but Jack Tempchin did provide some background info about TGFY in this Rock History Music interview. It starts at 1:12.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fECKkausXUU

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I realize this is an old topic but Jack Tempchin did provide some background info about TGFY in this Rock History Music interview. It starts at 1:12.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fECKkausXUU
    Cool to know that Glenn came up with the title, which I always liked.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten