Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Girl From Yesterday

Default The Girl From Yesterday

Does anyone know the story behind this song? It's one of my favorite Eagles songs and I haven't found anything about it. I have a feeling Glenn saw a sad-looking woman and said something like "It's the girl from yesterday. What a great title!"

Seriously though, has anyone ever read anything about it?

Default Re: The Girl From Yesterday

The only thing I've read about it comes from Don Felder's book. He said it wasn't received well by the audience so they had to drop it from their set list. The lyrics are classic country, but the song itself is mediocre country, IMO (granted, I haven't heard the song in a long time). According to "Heaven and Hell," Don H said any country singer from Nashville could do better (and Don F agreed). I don't agree b/c Glenn had a great country voice. The problem is with the song, not Glenn's singing. IMHO.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    The only thing I've read about it comes from Don Felder's book. He said it wasn't received well by the audience so they had to drop it from their set list. The lyrics are classic country, but the song itself is mediocre country, IMO (granted, I haven't heard the song in a long time). According to "Heaven and Hell," Don H said any country singer from Nashville could do better (and Don F agreed). I don't agree b/c Glenn had a great country voice. The problem is with the song, not Glenn's singing. IMHO.
    Mediocre country?? I see it as along the same lines as Lyin' Eyes, Tequila Sunrise, Peaceful Easy Feeling, etc. It's of course a matter of opinion - that's the great thing about the eagles, their songs are all so different, there's something for everyone. I was just curious if anyone knew anything about the story behind it.

I would never put TGFY in the same league as the other songs you mention, but that's just my 2 cents. You're right, with such diverse, amazing material there is something for everyone. Maybe Jack Tempchin will answer your question if you ask him.

Border Rebel

I'd call it mediocre, as well. The lyrics are ho-hum and the tune isn't much better. It also bothers me that in one verse it says he's never coming home and in another it says she knows he'll be back someday. Which is it?

The only thing I like about it is the harmony, and the blend of Glenn and Don's voices. In my opinion, it can't hold a candle to Lyin' Eyes, Peaceful Easy Feeling and Tequila Sunris, but that's just my opinion.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Let's address this myth briefly.

No matter how badly received TGFY allegedly was, it was in their setlist until the end of 1995 when I saw them in Sydney, unlike the much vaunted GOI which had already been dropped. It is hardly a surprise that Felder disparaged the song.

Regarding the lyrics, the narrator talks about the actual situation, which is about the man 'never coming home' but also the woman's misguided belief which is that 'he'll be back some day'. I do understand that if people find the woman's obsession irritating, that will affect their opinion of the song. I often find myself wishing I could tell her to just 'get a grip' and deal with it.

I was overwhelmed to see the song performed at the Opera House in 2013. I don't pretend it's in the same category as LE, PEF, etc, but it seems to me that it has been judged very unfairly by many people.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-10-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Let's address this myth briefly.

No matter how badly received TGFY allegedly was, it was in their setlist until the end of 1995 when I saw them in Sydney, unlike the much vaunted GOI which had already been dropped. It is hardly a surprise that Felder disparaged the song.
    I believe that's a distinction without a difference. Don F didn't say the song was immediately dropped, however, it did happen at some point (he used the term "eventually"). Compare to Love Will Keep Us Alive which I believe stayed from the time of HFO until HOTE. I'm not trying to argue, it's just that "myth" is a strong term.

Stuck on the Border

Well yes, but why make such a big deal of TGFY being dropped & make no mention at all of GOI being dropped first. That's the issue really, not that TGFY was dropped. It survivied longer than Felder claimed.

The surivival of LWKUA is another issue altogether. All I will say it is remains a mystery to me why they stuck with it for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The surivival of LWKUA is another issue altogether. All I will say it is remains a mystery to me why they stuck with it for so long.
    Probably because it was the only Eagles song that Timothy sang besides ICTYW (at least until LROOE & we know what eventually happened to all the songs on that album).

Stuck on the Border

I have no answer to the original question, but perhaps "Girl" should be a little bit faster. It sounds a little bit tired. I didn't like it when it first came out, but when I hear it now, I enjoy it. I think Glenn's vocal performance is a bit boring in the verses, but in the middle section he "awakes" and sounds great. The line about teardrops is very well sung in the style that only Glenn can do.