Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic West Los Angeles - July 15-16 & Classic East New York - July 29-30, 2017

Default Re: Classic West Los Angeles - July 15-16 & Classic East New York - July 29-30, 2017

I forgot Seven Bridges Road. Since Don does it in his show, I can see them doing it.

I also forgot about Take It To The Limit. I can see Vince singing that song since that song fits his vocal range and Vince has sung it before.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Border Desperado

Default Re: Classic West Los Angeles - July 15-16 & Classic East New York - July 29-30, 2017

They need to go Old School and open with "Hotel California"....get the crowd into it right away. Jump straight into Victim of Love, and maybe surprise some people by following that up with the traditionally later in the set Life in the Fast Lane, even though I know Don doesn't traditionally open up with 3 straight leads. I think that sets the mood.
    Maybe slow it down after those 3, do some talking at that point, introducing the new members, etc...

Banned

The last time I saw the Eagles live, they opened with Hotel California and then followed it with Peaceful Easy Feeling. It was a festival audience, that were obviously looking forward to hearing Hotel California as my abiding memory of the show is of the mass exodus, during Peaceful Easy Feeling, presumably to catch The Human League on the other stage.

Even Victim Of Love was pretty mild following Hotel California imho.

I've just heard the new Lindsay Buckingham, Christine McVie album. It's really fantastic! I'm sure Fleetwood Mac will play some of their new album during their Classic East / West shows which will reflect rather badly on the Eagles if they churn out the same old tired 70s hits set list, even with a couple of new faces in the group.

I want Eagles to open with Business As Usual but Life In The Fast Lane fits the bill too as a fine Henley rocker with plenty of Walsh guitar.

If Vince and Deacon can help the band pull off New Kid In Town and Try And Love Again, a performance of the entire Hotel California album would earn the band some kudos..... and be quite a thrill for the audience too. The Heat Is On wouldn't be a bad opener either.

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I think PEF will be part of the setlist. I just don't see them dropping PEF.

Since the setlist will be very different, here's the songs I think they will play:
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Hotel California
    Take it Easy
    I Can't Tell You Why
    One Of These Nights
    The Long Run
    Heartache Tonight
    Desperado
    New Kid In Town
    Tequila Sunrise
    Life In The Fast Lane
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Funk 49-i would love to see either Vince or Deacon did that guitar solo duel Glenn and Joe use to do before the song. Maybe Deacon.
    The Long Run
    Dirty Laundry-they usually have this song in there for short sets.
    Lyin' Eyes
    Pretty Maids All In A Row
    Already Gone
    Witchy Woman
    In The City
    Love Will Keep Us Alive

They might throw in some surprises. They might add songs they haven't sang in years, but I see them keeping the songs they played in concert for 40 something years.

I really hope Don is on the drums. He might be a little rusty since he hasn't played drums in concert since the Grammys and Glenn's memorial service.
    I think they will keep much of the same setlist too but I would think they would want to change some things up a bit. With the line-up being so different, it would be smart for them to try a different approach. There's should be some Glenn solo songs too.

As for the opener, I think there's needs to be some kind of acknowledgement of Glenn right off the bat. I don't think SBR is the way to go--too predictable. Maybe an a capella harmony sing-together of a Glenn solo song, something like that. Sorry Funk50 but I do not agree with the choice of "Business as Usual"--it seems cynical and cold, at least to me.

This would be a good time to retire "Love Will Keep Us Alive" and let Timothy sing "I Don't Want to Hear Anymore" instead.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Banned

I agree that Business As Usual is cynical and cold but hey! this is the rock music industry, cynical and cold, (ie not bland), is good. I'd rather the Eagles were up front about what they're doing rather than apologetic.

I agree with you Delilah, about Love Will Keep Us Alive. I Don't Want To Hear Anymore is a good call, it is/was part of Henley's solo set list but I'd let Tim sing one of his own songs, if he wants to, as long as it doesn't upset the momentum too much.

I'm sure there will be plenty of Henley and Walsh on show. I'm not sure how I'd feel about Deacon and Vince having more time in the spotlight than Timothy, or even Bernie if he's there.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I agree that Business As Usual is cynical and cold but hey! this is the rock music industry, cynical and cold, (ie not bland), is good. I'd rather the Eagles were up front about what they're doing rather than apologetic.

I agree with you Delilah, about Love Will Keep Us Alive. I Don't Want To Hear Anymore is a good call, it is/was part of Henley's solo set list but I'd let Tim sing one of his own songs, if he wants to, as long as it doesn't upset the momentum too much.

I'm sure there will be plenty of Henley and Walsh on show. I'm not sure how I'd feel about Deacon and Vince having more time in the spotlight than Timothy, or even Bernie if he's there.
    Henley didn't sing I Don't Want to Hear Anymore in his solo shows. The three young women who are his back-up singers sang it while he took a short break in the middle. I have no problem with Love Will Keep Us Alive but I wouldn't mind I Don't Want to Hear Anymore, either. It would be great to hear Timothy sing more than 2 songs!

One song I've never heard in concert is Victim of Love. It's such a rocker that I think it would get a great response.

Stuck on the Border

Maryc2130 - When I saw the Eagles in 1980 and in 1995 if I remember right I think they sang VOL. So long ago though.......

Shun - That is a great set list. However, it is really centered on Glenn's songs. Not sure if they will do that many of his songs. But, who knows - I still like your song list !

On another note, I assume this all means that Bernie will not be with them for the festivals. Any thoughts........

They did sing VOL during the HFO tour, but after that I think they dropped it.

NKIT. I don't think they will cut that many of Glenn's songs. I think they will keep his popular songs which is majority of the song I listed. I just kept the songs that have been in the setlist since they got back together in 1994 and also played since 1972.

The list I have have mostly has evenly songs for Don and for Vince/Deacon. We don't know if they will sing Doolin Dalton, Doolin Dalton/Desperado reprise, Saturday Night or Those Shoes. So that's 4 songs of Don they might not play from the HOTE setlist. We don't know if Joe or Timothy will have more songs than their usually amount. But I think its going to be an interesting setlist.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Border Desperado

Yeah, Victim of Love was the second Song on HFO tour.
    I thought it was a great follow up to Hotel.

Also, Vince is a good Mandolin player, and being a Bluegrass guy, he can probably play banjo too.... That brings Saturday Night and Doolin-Dalton into the mix, as are as players go.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Maryc2130 - When I saw the Eagles in 1980 and in 1995 if I remember right I think they sang VOL. So long ago though.......

Shun - That is a great set list. However, it is really centered on Glenn's songs. Not sure if they will do that many of his songs. But, who knows - I still like your song list !

On another note, I assume this all means that Bernie will not be with them for the festivals. Any thoughts........
    There may have been some discomfort with the obligation to include Bernie from all parties. Glenn wanted Bernie to be involved but I'm sure that Bernie would want assurance that the others wanted him too, as it would be they that he'd be working with. I could be reluctant to see act with 3 softies, Vince, Bernie and Tim, interspersed with Henley and Walsh. The set list will be interesting.

I expect the band to do Glenn's Eagles songs unless they feel that they are unable to do them justice after trying them out in rehearsals.

Tim said they have planned plenty of rehearsals and are meeting to discuss the set lists so I guess they will consider changing the set list.
    After the mega-successful HFO Tour(s) the band made some surprising set list changes for the 3 show millennium tour.

Out of all the Eagles catalog, I reckon the song that most suits Vince Gill is My Man, which could make a nice tribute song for Glenn. I'd prefer Bernie to be singing it though.