Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic West Los Angeles - July 15-16 & Classic East New York - July 29-30, 2017

Border Rebel

Default Re: Classic West Los Angeles - July 15-16 & Classic East New York - July 29-30, 2017

I'd be surprised if they dropped Already Gone and Tequilla Sunrise. I would think they'd do 1 or 2 Henley solo songs, but I doubt there will be more than that.

Banned

Default Re: Classic West Los Angeles - July 15-16 & Classic East New York - July 29-30, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Under the circumstances, I think they'll want to make this an "Eagles" show and keep the solo material to a minimum....
    At this point the term "Eagles Show" needs redefining. They've always done Henley, Frey and Walsh solo tunes, up until the History Of The Eagles Tour, which by definition, was focused on Eagles material, ignoring the Walsh anomaly.

I'd love to hear Walsh play his Eagles tunes rather than the half dozen tracks he's done forever but I'm expecting Funk #49, Rocky Mountain Way and Life's Been Good, which opens the door for The Boys Of Summer and Dirty Laundry etc.

I originally expected the Eagles to concentrate on their uptempo rock songs but Vince's comments have conVinced me that the Classic East / West shows will be almost entirely major hits. Henley's top solo tracks definitely come into that category.

I think we'll have to wait until late 2017 or early 2018, and the title of their next tour, to see how the future Eagles are going to shape up.

Border Desperado

I think it's fair to say that, just like Rocky Mountain Way, and Funk 49, Dirty Laundry and Boys of Summer are "Eagles" Songs. Not studio recorded Eagles songs, but nonetheless Eagles.

Life's Been Good, All Night Long, and Seven Bridges Road were all on an official Eagles release (Eagles Live).
    as was New York Minute (Hell Freezes Over), Funk 49, All She Wants to Do is Dance & Dirty Laundry (Selected Works Millennium Concert).

If you count Live DVD releases:
    Heart of the Matter (HFO), One Day at a Time, Sunset Grill, You Belong to the City, Walk Away, Dirty Laundry, Boys of Summer, Funk 49, Rocky Mountain Way, and Life's Been Good (Farewell 1) are all on Eagles releases.

If you were to limit it to Studio Recordings, then Seven Bridges Road wouldn't be an Eagles song.

The thing about Joe's solo songs is his solo songs has been on the setlist since he joined the band. This just didn't start compare to when they put Don and Glenn's solo songs in the setlist when they reunion. So I expect the usual Joe solo songs in the setlist. I would like Help Me Thru the Night back in the setlist. I love that song.

As for Don solo songs. If they do put some in there, its probably going to be 2, but the audience probably just want to hear the Eagles hit especially since Glenn is not with us anymore. Minus Joe's solo songs, they kept the HOTE tour strictly Eagles songs. They might keep it just Eagles songs(of course minus Joe's usual solo songs plus his two Eagles songs).

Sad to say, I do see Deacon singing more songs than Timothy. If Deacon and Vince are sharing Glenn's songs that means either Deacon and Vince will have equal amount of songs by Glenn or one or two songs less with Deacon. I know I said 10, but most of the songs that I listed for Glenn are songs they've been playing in concert since the band began and then some(meaning more songs were added with each new album). Most of his songs have been in the setlist since they got back together in 1994.

I just don't see Timothy singing more than his usual 2 songs. Timothy is lucky they kept Love Will Keep Us Alive because after the HFO tour, they dropped the other new songs from the HFO album. Maybe they did that to let Timothy have one more song instead of one since the Eagles was about to break up when he did The Long Run album.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 06-27-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I was around (i.e. part of the youth culture) when Don H made it big as a solo artist and there's no way I consider his solo material, or Joe's or Glenn's, "Eagles" songs. These songs stand on their own. Yes, they've been performed countless times during live shows, so it stands to reason they end up on live Eagles compilations (but no studio albums).

That being said, I fully expect some Don and Joe solo material will be performed. I hope some of Glenn's solo work will be performed as well. Perhaps Deacon will sing a song or two. I appreciate that Timothy is a veteran and Deacon is a newbie but I don't think that should play a role in who gets more leads, esp. when it comes to who will sing Glenn's songs. Maybe instead of LWKUA, Timothy can sing True Love or something.

I think it would be a mistake for the new Eagles to adopt the same old playbook. It would be better for them to shake things up a bit and try something different.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I don't know if I quite see them doing 10 Glenn Frey songs. Glenn typically only sang lead on around 8 songs per concert.

If I had to guess, I would say you'll see
    Vince = LE, TITTL, HT, NKIT
    Deacon = PEF, TIE

As was stated above, I don't think Deacon will sing more than Tim. I can see Tim doing his 2 traditional songs LWKUA and ICTYW...plus either a solo song, or IDWTHA.

And Glenn and Don almost never had the same amount of leads. Don typically had 3 to 4 more leads per show.

HFO
    Don = 11
    Glenn = 8
    Joe = 6

HOTE
    Don = 11
    Glenn = 8
    Joe = 5
    Tim = 2
    Bernie = 1

LROOE
    Don = 12
    Glenn = 8
    Joe = 6
    Tim = 3

Millenium Tour
    Don = 12
    Glenn = 9
    Joe = 6
    Tim = 2

F1 is the only tour in recent years (since the resumption) where Glenn has been nearly the same in leads.
    Don = 11
    Glenn = 10
    Joe = 6
    Tim = 2

(I assigned Hole in the World and Seven Bridges Road to Don, but left No More Walk in the Wood out...since it's truly a choir song although Don and Tim really stand out to me)
    Very interesting and measured analysis, BB! Here are my thoughts on the setlist possibilities.

With Glenn’s songs, I suspect they will play his Eagles hits as opposed to his solo songs or more obscure tracks like James Dean or his LROOE songs. Given that Vince will be singing LE, TITTL, NKIT and HT, of Glenn’s big hits that would leave TIE, PEF, AG and Tequila Sunrise for Deacon to sing. TIE is surely nailed on, and I think it’s highly likely that they will play PEF as well. I’m slightly less sure about the other two - IIRC when they did shorter setlists towards to the end of the LROOE tour a few years ago, they dropped those two songs (they also dropped BOML, leaving the On The Border album unrepresented), so I wouldn’t be so surprised if one of those two missed out (just checked, this is the thread: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=3154). If I was to guess though, I think they will be included.

Of the more unusual songs on the HOTE setlist, TLHTM will definitely not be included (unless Bernie makes a surprise appearance) and I also think the lesser known Desperado tracks are unlikely to be played. I wouldn’t rule out Those Shoes however, as it wasn’t tied into the ‘history’ theme like the earlier songs, although I guess VOL (which would also chiefly showcases Don and the lead guitar players) could replace it. As for Don's songs in general, I don't see massive changes, although I see Wasted Time maybe being included (more likely than The Last Resort, IMO, as the Eagles have played it far more often as a band).

With regards to Joe and Tim, I’d be shocked if they dropped Joe’s big three solo tracks or In The City, although I could maybe see PMAIAR being taken out, possibly for another of his solo songs like Walk Away. I expect that Tim will play his usual two songs - they could maybe swap out LWKUA for IDTWHAM, but ICTYW seems a racing certainty, and I’d be very surprised if they played any of his solo songs. Speaking of Long Road Out Of Eden, I think it’s unlikely they’ll play much (if anything) from the album, although I could imagine How Long finding a place – it was played on a couple of nights on the HOTE tour along with 7BR so maybe it could be a possibility with Deacon doing Glenn’s vocals? I wouldn’t put money on it though.

If any Don solo songs are played (my inkling is that there is a fair chance, although I’m not certain) then I think DL and BOS seem the most likely candidates. I am less sure about All She Wants To Do Is Dance, which he didn’t play when I saw him last year (this very night last year, in fact!). He did play Sunset Grill that night, although it wasn’t a permanent fixture on the European leg of the tour. Interestingly, when Don played Hyde Park in London last summer with a shortened set, he cut out virtually all of the Cass County songs (https://peterviney.wordpress.com/pet...ley-hyde-park/
    ), so I think it’s very unlikely that he’ll play anything other than his big solo hits.

I don’t know how long they’ll be playing for, so that will probably having some bearing on whether some of the probables/possibles find their way onto the setlist or not. Overall, however, I’d expect something between the extremes HOTE (very strongly oriented towards Eagles songs, including a number of comparatively obscure songs) and the other tours, particularly F1 (more geared towards the most recongisable hits, whether released by the Eagles or as solo works).

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I was around (i.e. part of the youth culture) when Don H made it big as a solo artist and there's no way I consider his solo material, or Joe's or Glenn's, "Eagles" songs. These songs stand on their own. Yes, they've been performed countless times during live shows, so it stands to reason they end up on live Eagles compilations (but no studio albums).

I guess when you were coming up has a lot to do with these sort of opinions. Although I love the 70's stuff, concerts that I have watched, live stuff, etc....I really became an Eagles fan when they reunited. I was in high school, and fell in love with them watching VH1's "Eagles Family Tree" stuff, including the Don Kirshner stuff, HFO, and even South of Sunset!! I remember going out and buying the HFO cassette and VHS the day it came out. So, as long as I've known the Eagles, including the first time I saw them, all those songs were part of that fabric.

That being said, I fully expect some Don and Joe solo material will be performed. I hope some of Glenn's solo work will be performed as well. Perhaps Deacon will sing a song or two. I appreciate that Timothy is a veteran and Deacon is a newbie but I don't think that should play a role in who gets more leads, esp. when it comes to who will sing Glenn's songs. Maybe instead of LWKUA, Timothy can sing True Love or something.

It doesn't really fit that well, but I'd love to see Timothy sing Red Dirt Road, or even go back and pull Keep on Tryin' out. I know they did that song live in their last tour in 80'

I think it would be a mistake for the new Eagles to adopt the same old playbook. It would be better for them to shake things up a bit and try something different.
    I think a major shakeup in song order, and selection would be very invigorating. Give the band a chance to express themselves. We've been kind of assuming the set list would be similar, due to the necessity of the hits, but that assumption may be wrong, since Glenn was the major driving force in the arrangement before. Don may have a different vision, and just deferred to Glenn all those years.

Border Desperado

I would love to see Take It Easy done as a multi part lead. Have Deacon Do verse 1, Vince do verse 2, and Don do verse 3.

I think that it should end the show. Maybe before final encore, have a montage of Glenn's moments from the start of the band, right up through HOTE....and fade out with Glenn's voice from the HFO video

"......and here's how it all started"

Banned

I really don't think the audience at the Classic East / West shows will be that bothered about the Eagles history, Glenn dying and the significance of Deacon and Vince being on stage with them. I think they'll just want to have a good time and get their substantial money's worth.

Border Rebel

I can't believe this is only 10 days away. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the set list is and who sings what. I think Don and Vince singing "No Thank You" as they did on Don's Cass County album would be a fun addition - maybe with switching off the verses instead of just having Vince sing back-up. I doubt it will happen, though, for this kind of a show. Maybe if they add more tour dates.