Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rick Nelson & The Stone Canyon Band

Default Re: Rick Nelson & The Stone Canyon Band

You know, Rick Nelson is a stone cold fox. But when you look at that last photo, it's Randy that jumps out at you. No kidding. Wow.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    That's a cool site - thank you. I like their attention to detail. I see for the listing of "Live at the Troubadour" the producer credit goes to someone named Charles Bud Dant. On the original vinyl album, the producer credit went to Rick Nelson and Joe Sutton. In the extensive liner notes to the deluxe reissue of an expanded Live at the Troubadour, it was said that Rick Nelson produced the original album with Randy Meisner.

And this is yet another reason why Randy needs to write his own memoirs
    I totally agree. I'd love to read his memoirs.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Me too! I adore Randy and always will.

The record sleeve for one of the singles released from the "Rudy the Fifth" album. The picture appears to be from the same photo shoot as the earlier picture I posted. I'm listening to this album for the first time. Wow. Randy, as usual, shines!

Last edited by Delilah; 09-12-2017 at 11:09 PM.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

They knew they had a good thing and they stuck with it, even when Randy was long gone from the band!

That is so odd, to have Randy's picture on the Garden Party record sleeve. Was it laziness or ignorance on the part of the record label, MCA? I think Decca was folding around that time.

You could be right, though, NMB, that they were capitalizing on Randy's success with the Eagles. "Garden Party" and "Witchy Woman" were charting at the same time.

I asked Stephen Love about it on Facebook but he didn't give a direct answer. Maybe he didn't want to be rude and directly accuse the record company of using Randy's image to promote the single Basically, he didn't have a problem with it and apparently no one else did either, so all was well.

I didn't know that Decca was folding at the time. It could have been an honest mistake then - maybe things on the administrative side were a bit wobbly.

Another blog from the 'net, this one by Ian Cooke; it's Part 5 of an interesting 5-part installment about Rick and TSCB.

About why Randy left the band:
    March 1970, Rick and the Stone Canyon Band began a tour of 20 military bases in England, Germany and Spain. Why his management thought playing military bases was a sound career move is anyone’s guess. All the hard work the last year had accomplished was wasted on the soldiers who yelled at Rick and his long haired musicians “Where are your mini-skirts?” Returning stateside dejected, Randy Meisner quit the band to go home to his wife in Nebraska and work as a parts manger for a friends John Deere dealership. This was a crucial loss to Rick and the other band members.
    Another viewpoint about Phil Volk's stint with Rick Nelson:
    With the release of “Easy To Be Free” as the next single, Nelson was offered an appearance on the Johnny Cash Show. Rick needed a quality bassist to replace Meisner and turned to Phil Volk, previously the bassist for Paul Revere and the Raiders. Volk with Drake Levin and Mike Smith had left the Raiders (due to a lack of writing participation) and formed “The Brotherhood” managed by Rick’s uncle Don. Though a talented musician, Volk was unable to perform vocally at the high end register that Meisner was unequaled at. This was noticeable with the band performing “Come On In” and “Easy To Be Free,” where the three part harmony was so important in the quality of this excellent song.
    About Tim Cetera, replacement for Randy's replacement:
    To replace Volk, Tom Brumley brought in Tim Cetera (brother of “Chicago’s Pete Cetera, who Brumley was teaching steel guitar) and again another excellent musician but not capable of the high end harmony so crucial to the Stone Canyon Band sound. Rick and the band were going into the studio to record their first full Stone Canyon Band studio effort.
    Parasites & Sycophants, "Artist Spotlight: Rick Nelson and The Stone Canyon Band", Oct. 10 2007

Thanks, D.! You find the coolest stuff.

I'd read that the European tour was very discouraging for the whole band, Randy in particular. The liner notes to the expanded version of Live at the Troubadour also say that he needed to earn a steady paycheck to support his young family.

That bit about the Cetera bros is awkwardly worded in the blog: not sure if Mr. Brumley was teaching steel guitar to Tim or Peter.

Very interesting, thanks Delilah!