Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

I just posted that I think mine is Randy. Although I like them all, and think all three Ex-Eagles made very important contributions to the band, I like a lot of the songs that Randy sang lead on.

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

Default Re: Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

Hmm, good question. I really admire Bernie and think he's amazingly talented, but I probably do enjoy Randy's songs a bit more. Take It to the Limit is my all-time favorite Eagles songs (one of my all-time favorite songs, period.) I guess that puts him over the top!

~

I think Bill Szymczyk is my favorite ex-Eagle though he did come out of retirement to do Long Road Out Of Eden in 2007 and I guess doesn't qualify because of that. So much of that "Eagles Sound" is because of his untold hours in the editing studio both during and after the "takes". Same with Walsh's works and the James Gang before that. Bill doesn't get the public recognition he should get....but then not many "producers" do get that recognition. People tend to think the magic on records is pure talent from the band....and I'm not discounting that at all. But it takes someone who really knows what they are doing to take that live sound and get it laid down on vinyl or digitized onto a CD or DVD.

But I think the intent was to name an "ex" that performed on stage with band during concerts. Felder, Meisner and Leadon. For me, it would have to be Felder but NOT just because he was a virtuoso on guitar. His style is closer to what I identify with. Leadon is however, the most accomplished musician in my opinion. I think he could play a fishing line if he had to and play it well! Love his work on mandolin and banjo as well as guitar.

Meisner would get the nod from me on vocals of those three X's.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I think Bill Szymczyk is my favorite ex-Eagle though he did come out of retirement to do Long Road Out Of Eden in 2007 and I guess doesn't qualify because of that. So much of that "Eagles Sound" is because of his untold hours in the editing studio both during and after the "takes". Same with Walsh's works and the James Gang before that. Bill doesn't get the public recognition he should get....but then not many "producers" do get that recognition. People tend to think the magic on records is pure talent from the band....and I'm not discounting that at all. But it takes someone who really knows what they are doing to take that live sound and get it laid down on vinyl or digitized onto a CD or DVD.

But I think the intent was to name an "ex" that performed on stage with band during concerts. Felder, Meisner and Leadon. For me, it would have to be Felder but NOT just because he was a virtuoso on guitar. His style is closer to what I identify with. Leadon is however, the most accomplished musician in my opinion. I think he could play a fishing line if he had to and play it well! Love his work on mandolin and banjo as well as guitar.

Meisner would get the nod from me on vocals of those three X's.
    I agree. Bill is a GREAT producer and engineer!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

I like Randy. RG introduced me to his songs and I really like them.

I like Randy too. Our local radio stations play Take It to the Limit regularly, and I really like his version.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'd have to go along with the rest of you. Randy, along with Don and Glenn, actually was my favorite for a while back in the day! Really. I couldn't decide! I think it was whoever was singing the song at the moment! Each one of those three had their moments.

Glenn has completely taken over now, though.

But ex-Eagles, definitely Randy. Love his songs.

~~~

"You know, people don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time."

Really? I've never seen you in the Randy threads over there. ;)

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

You guys always had me ! I couldn't post!

~~~

"You know, people don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time."

Why not? It's a madhouse and really funny. Especially RG when she gets furious about Billy's posts.